Closed Thread

Thread: Public Engine3 without time restrictions

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    Using engine3 without our consent is grounds for litigation. There are 3rd parties involved with it, not related to swgemu, where money is not a problem.

The main intention behind this change is to allow everyone who shares their work to use it without any issues, thats the condition the emu had to deal with too.

We don't want people selling and/or using a 'hacked' version, we don't want people to profit from work on core3 of so many that worked here for almost a decade.

These servers say we are "competitors" when we never were or will be, the main focus here is to finish development, not the donations, not basilisk. Donations stop? Basilisk goes poof and we continue devolping without it. Thats where the donations go unlike on some of these other servers that have been selling credits and items for money.

And I personally can't wait to get to 1.0 and move on from this community. Once development is finished, AGPL will be lifted, engine limitations will be lifted(already are) and I will be long gone too.
    There are other situations in which this "industry" can police itself also. Through the license, you can assign limited rights on a case by case basis either by power of atty or some other limited instrument. Take an offending server in the US that agrees to your license and then does not abide by it's requirement (Server A). Server B, also from the US, attempts to obtain, thru the license, code from Server A and gets turned down flat. Server B can go thru you and obtain limited authority and asks the courts for regress without any burden of litigation to the original holder (you). As added incentive, if Server B can prove to the courts (51%) that there is/was malice or an attempt to defraud, then punitive damages can and will come into play also. In the state where I live, punitive damages are limited by statute to 250,000.00 per offence. In the case where someone without a legal background is not in server administration, I know of plenty of attys who would take such a case (and incentive) on a contingency basis. (no cash up front and fee payment if and when a judgment is entered)

You could also stop an offending server from usage of your license/code/product. Upon receiving notice that a server has failed to comply with the licensing requirements, you send out a "Cease and Desist" that your counsel has drawn and you can simply change the header to whomever you chose. If they do not comply with that, then your counsel could initiate proceedings upon which you would receive any and all damages, including the retail pricing of the product.

All kinds of things could be done to gain the result that you want.

I'm sure, dealing with all this mess, for 10 years +, that your probably more than a little bit tired of it all but please don't let a few "bad apples" spoil the entire bushel for you.
    Last edited by Esquire; 04-22-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information