Closed Thread

Thread: SWGEmu Timeline

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm4201 View Post
    It's just not feasible to attempt to announce any ETAs or Timelines at this particular juncture folks, progression comes at each individuals own pace, could be tomorrow, could be next spring, it's just impossible to offer anything significant or accurate to the community at this point. I, like many of you would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow, check the updates and find out we're going into Beta testing and preparing for release, however we have to be realistic about things and instead focus on keeping positive and moving things forward as time allows.
    I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
    I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.
    a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.
    Chri
    Vendor Drop off: 5246, 5325 Citadel, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri View Post
    a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.
    I think this is what so many people are forgetting. The SWGEmu isn't being done by a company with profit margins, and we should all be grateful it is being done at all.

Play Stats
    Inactive

Were any of the projects that you worked on solely based upon volunteer resources?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I work in game development myself.
    There is the crux of the matter.

This isn't a job rather something a bunch of amazing people have given up their own time to bring us.

Closed Thread

Thread Information