Closed Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk maintenance 2/24/13

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigitty View Post
    About that... This week I was in Las Vegas, and I got a call from my house sitter....

My Chinese Dwarf Hamster died I'm not mad, but when My daughter comes over and sees her best friend is gone. I'm fu**ed.

I still don't understand how the little guy died, its 70 degrees in the house, he always has food and water and clean cage..

Maybe my cat grew thumbs and let the hamster out.
    Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had my last hamster like 20 years ago when I just started school. It died young from a brain tumor and I was absolutely sad. Sadly cancer is a very common fate for all kinds of small animals, especially hamsters, mice and rats. I had rats for the past 10 years and lost a couple to this. You never know, sometimes it just happens. It might have gotten to yours, too. There are a lot of things you can't influence, even with the best care.

Sorry, sorry!
    /comfort>Daughter.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Stradoo View Post
    My Xbox has done nothing but collect dust since I logged into the EMU 3 or so weeks ago.
    Same with mine, And i just got a new headset too.

It rarely gets turned on. But today might be the day.... Unless I decide to add more on to my igloo.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ahdinko View Post
    I imagine he's dumping from the ssd's to the sata hdd's. Then he'll boot the server from the sata hdd's to test the shrunk database has worked, and if so copy it back over to the SSD's, overwiting the old DB. Its should be sequential write though which you can do decent speeds on the sata disks. Its random read/write that suffers.
    I'd imagine that there in the reload process. The dump was probably quick. The reload is reading from sata drives and probably small IOs, even if their sequential, will quickly become io bound before getting anywhere close to the theoretical max drive speed on a sata disk.

Again, my statements are making assumptions and I have no particular knowledge of the Emu's software/hardware configs. Just based on my 12+ years in server administration.
    <ISR> Heuy - TKM/MRanger
    <ISR> DocDan - Master Doc
    <ISR> Spobi - Merchant

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by piya View Post
    Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had my last hamster like 20 years ago when I just started school. It died young from a brain tumor and I was absolutely sad. Sadly cancer is a very common fate for all kinds of small animals, especially hamsters, mice and rats. I had rats for the past 10 years and lost a couple to this. You never know, sometimes it just happens. It might have gotten to yours, too. There are a lot of things you can't influence, even with the best care.

Sorry, sorry!
    /comfort>Daughter.
    I was unaware that cancer was so prominent in small rodents, But it makes me feel better. I wasn't sure if my house sitter did something or not. But I need to think of a story to tell my daughter.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I personally don't know much about server hardware, but 2.00ghz seems prehistoric to me. My computer is currently running at 4.6 ghz.
    Yes it 2.0Ghz, but you cannot relate that to a desktop. This server has 2 Processors with 6 cores each running at 2Ghz. Its is running on current comodidty server hardware. Also, the current process is limited by the disk subsystem not the CPU anyway.
    <ISR> Heuy - TKM/MRanger
    <ISR> Spobi - Merchant

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsscb2 View Post
    25 hours and counting. I understand it's maintenance but, I'm starting to feel like I did back in the day. As the server lay dormant to me and not knowing what little things might be lurking on the other side, I can't help but wonder, once again, "What is going to be broken when they finally DO bring the servers back up? What did they break during the "fix"? How long will it be taken back down to correct those mistakes? And how long will it take to correct THOSE mistakes after that? Am I going to be rubberbanding everywhere? Will I have to do the last 2 hours of XP grinding again because they rolled it back? What did they break now?!" But that was when SoE was running it, right? ....Right??
    How can you complain when these people are putting their "Play time" in life into doing this for us to enjoy in our "play time". Even if the server was down for a week youd have no right to complain. Its free. They also have lives..unlike some people it seems....who have nothing better but to sit here and act like its the end of the world. A few days without SWG is better then the years we lived without it after CU. So until you are putting your spare time into doing the EMU project. Dont complain.
    Last edited by Clifffitir; 02-25-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by roebacca View Post
    Yes it 2.0Ghz, but you cannot relate that to a desktop. This server has 2 Processors with 6 cores each running at 2Ghz. Its is running on current comodidty server hardware. Also, the current process is limited by the disk subsystem not the CPU anyway.
    Ok, yeah I couldn't imagine the server only being clocked at 2.0. I guess I really don't know anything about servers :P Never bothered to look into it.
    Thanks tho.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifffitir View Post
    How can you complain when these people are putting their "Play time" in life into doing this for us to enjoy in our "play time". Even if the server was down for a week youd have no right to complain. Its free. They also have lives..unlike some people it seems....who have nothing better but to sit here and act like its the end of the world. A few days without SWG is better then the years we lived without it after CU. So until you are putting your spare time into doing the EMU project. Dont complain.

Was going to respond, but you took the words out of my mouth.
    Couldn't of said it better myself.

The anger coming from some people or the disrespect towards the team is disgusting. I think that the Team
    does a SPECF*CKINGTACULAR job of running this server, and giving us the game we all love. They are people too, and they do more for us, than some of us do for us.

So stop *****ing and find something constructive to do.

Don't like downtimes? Go pay 15 a month to play a bad game like WoW.
    Last edited by Gigitty; 02-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Ok, yeah I couldn't imagine the server only being clocked at 2.0. I guess I really don't know anything about servers :P Never bothered to look into it.
    Thanks tho.
    NP, its what I do for a living. I manage many such servers and love my job. If not the stress that come with situations like this. Ya know, this one time....

jk, wont bore you with war stories from the IT world.
    <ISR> Heuy - TKM/MRanger
    <ISR> Spobi - Merchant

Play Stats
    Inactive
    4.5 Hours into my 12 hour shift. Everything is done. I only have to deal with people passing by and randomly asking for access to areas or permission to do things. I am now on my third episode of Stargate, second chess game, opened a new bank account, browsed a vast majority of reddit, ate a granola bar. (Oh, and I am patching SWTOR, I think this makes me some sort of sinner...)

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    The anger coming from some people or the disrespect towards the team is disgusting. I think that the Team
    does a SPECF*CKINGTACULAR job of running this server, and giving us the game we all love. They are people too, and they do more for us, than some of us do for us.
    Ok guy-that-came-here-last-month, tell me more about how great everything is around here.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Don't like downtimes? Go pay 15 a month to play a bad game like WoW.
    And I can tell you unequivocally, for the budget they have, the downtimes are very minimal.

I know companies that spend an order of magnitude more and have just as much downtime.
    <ISR> Heuy - TKM/MRanger
    <ISR> Spobi - Merchant

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyra View Post
    Ok guy-that-came-here-last-month, tell me more about how great everything is around here.
    if you dont like the way things are, the door is yours my friend. No one is making you stay.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsscb2 View Post
    25 hours and counting. I understand it's maintenance but, I'm starting to feel like I did back in the day. As the server lay dormant to me and not knowing what little things might be lurking on the other side, I can't help but wonder, once again, "What is going to be broken when they finally DO bring the servers back up? What did they break during the "fix"? How long will it be taken back down to correct those mistakes? And how long will it take to correct THOSE mistakes after that? Am I going to be rubberbanding everywhere? Will I have to do the last 2 hours of XP grinding again because they rolled it back? What did they break now?!" But that was when SoE was running it, right? ....Right??

Soooo many comments, but I will just stfu..... Okay, I won't.
    It's Alpha, not the finalized game.
    It's a volunteer project, and the devs aren't getting paid for the stuff they do in their spare time. I have seen games that have worse community and support and everything, that IS actually commercial. You can pay for SWTOR and try to file a ticket. By the time you get an answer, you already forgot what you wanted in the first place. And the answer you get is about as helpful as the advice to connect your computer to the internet before attempting to log in on the game.
    This is a great game, which is worth waiting for. Years, if needed. I will ALWAYS wait for this game. Yeah, I had also plans ingame, and I was chewing my nails all week about my city update on sunday. So I missed it. OHNOEZ! Well, go cry a river. 25 hours, and it's gunna take 10 more, I bet!
    I bet you haven't donated once, ever.
    If you had read this forum thread, you'd know that it will take longer, and why, and wouldn't come crying now at 25 hours. Try again tonight!
    Looking at your profile, this is your first post on the forums IN TOTAL! Okay, I'm nobody to judge, I'm always reading and hardly writing. But using your first post ever to complain? Oh, please!

.... I'll just stop now. I wish ignorance could be extincted by castration. I'd have sooo much fun out there.

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifffitir View Post
    if you dont like the way things are, the door is yours my friend. No one is making you stay.
    I didn't say I didn't like the downtime, I've just been here since 2006 and I find it funny that someone that just registered here last month knows everything.

Closed Thread

Thread Information