Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk maintenance 3/4/13

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We do what we do when its convenient for us, has nothign to do with your or anyone elses play time, which I might add is irrelevant in this case. Person doing this, TheAnswer is from Europe, and he will brig the server down when it works best for him, it has nothing to do with you, me or anyone else for that matter, it has to do with TA's schedule.

EDIT: Just checked on Google analitics, in the last 30 days of all the visits to SWGEmu 66.70% came from US.
    Last edited by Vlada; 03-04-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We real gamers play 24/7 and are thus not affected by silly time zones.

As for SSD vs. optimizing code, we should be happy we don't have lazy developers that just up the hardware but instead tries to optimize the code and database as much as possible. I would however have no problem with donating a little more in the future should the need arise.

Sorkella, Ranger - Hunterella ,Architect - Healerella, Doctor

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Basilisk will be taken offline for maintenance in 15 minutes (6:35AM EST).

Play Stats
    Inactive

Thumbs up SWGEmu Is Awesome!

haha go USA Desporo i figured you where american. As for SWGEmu team, take your time, fix everything! lol

oh Vlada you flame extinguisher xD

ShadowsGhost-MRiffleman/Smuggler
    ShadowsGhostx-MSwordsman
    xShadowsGhostx-Master Architect/Master Merchant
    Drop Off: SR HQ, Tatooine -4851, 6291

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfunkadelic View Post
    Im using that in the OP.

Retired SWGEmu Staff sgtfunkadelic's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Im using that in the OP.
    Here's hoping they get the message

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfunkadelic View Post
    That's a great picture, if we could always have something that large and obvious load on the home page when the server is down or triggered when the last updated time on the status widget goes over a certain amount of time, I imagine that even the most dense would be able to figure it out lol

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    We will try to change our timetable to better accommodate all your needs.
    LMAO, I have monday and tuesday off too, spending it with my wife, take your time, and do what you need to do, I love playing SWG and love that you guys even have an emu setup let alone make sure it runs smoothly for us

Edit: Also like last time it was down for bout 30hrs, so it makes no difference what time zone you are in, no one is getting a better deal out of it, it happens, things need to be fixed/done/edited, I feel kind of dissapointed that instead of "Thank you guys for taking the time to make our server better etc etc" all i seem to see is "Why cant it be at such n such, but its my day off, whine, whine...."
    Last edited by Trouvo; 03-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Vlada firs off, I have not been her elong but may I say your fantastic? You are very active and you do seem to have one of the longest fuses I have ever seen. (As in very patiant).

If you know, or could ask perhaps..

Why are we even keeping the Database on the SSD? I mean... I for one see very little reason to it. I could explain more in detail if needed but most of what the Database does it transfer bits and peices back and forth via bandwith. I can see the SSD being helpful when it comes to moving the database on and off but even than as see last week and will see this week, diskspeed has NOTHING to do with that.

On top of that, the other hardrives mounted in that machine I can say with near certinty that they are Caviar Blacks if not something comparable which are near a decent SSD in most things. Now laoding time, sure... the server would take 15% (ish) longer to load. (On Start-up) if the SSD is a good one (speed wise), but I bet you it's not, I bet it's a more reliable one that is slower then the rest.

We would have no issues with space though

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I have built quite a few servers and rigs, SSD are coming down in price with larger space but would it not be more efficent to have a couple larger Raptors and fill the system with as much ram as it would take?

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedishoyster View Post
    We real gamers play 24/7 and are thus not affected by silly time zones.
    You made my day sir! Hope everything runs smoothly that TA can have a cup of tea in the eve while the sun is shining

Play Stats
    Inactive
    My husband loves these outages as the house gets cleaner than usual wipe down and hovering. Actually started doing the garden work today so he will be over the moon when he gets home today. lol I love playing as much as the next person and get major withdrawl pangs. But in the long run...we are talking about a few hrs to improve the gaming experience due to a better set up database. Vlada said it might need to happen one more time...maybe I will catch up on the Ironing then. I can get past the withdrawls quickly knowing it will only get better.

Thanks guys for all you are doing to ensure smoother gaming for us addicted players, and I suspect you guys play as well sometimes so are effected by this downtime as well.

Roll on the next 32 hrs, approx time of last outage due to maint.

Retired Lead Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoz View Post
    Vlada firs off, I have not been her elong but may I say your fantastic? You are very active and you do seem to have one of the longest fuses I have ever seen. (As in very patiant).

If you know, or could ask perhaps..

Why are we even keeping the Database on the SSD? I mean... I for one see very little reason to it. I could explain more in detail if needed but most of what the Database does it transfer bits and peices back and forth via bandwith. I can see the SSD being helpful when it comes to moving the database on and off but even than as see last week and will see this week, diskspeed has NOTHING to do with that.

On top of that, the other hardrives mounted in that machine I can say with near certinty that they are Caviar Blacks if not something comparable which are near a decent SSD in most things. Now laoding time, sure... the server would take 15% (ish) longer to load. (On Start-up) if the SSD is a good one (speed wise), but I bet you it's not, I bet it's a more reliable one that is slower then the rest.

We would have no issues with space though
    We use SSDs because our database has almost 100 million (350GB) objects. We need VERY fast random access speeds, something that no HDD comes close to SSDs.

You say 15% slower HA! Nova hdds (raid1) take 10 times more to load and do the object saves compared to Basilisk SSDs.
    Last edited by TheAnswer; 03-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.

theanswer@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    TheAnswer has spoken.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I bet that wasn't the answer he was looking for...

Sorkella, Ranger - Hunterella ,Architect - Healerella, Doctor

Closed Thread

Thread Information