Thread: All Staff Meeting Notes - Feb 26, 2011

Threaded View

Play Stats
    Inactive

What are the team roles?

Sorry if this has been explained before, and if it has then maybe this can be an updated answer. I was curious what exactly each role on the team is supposed to be performing. It's hard to gather who does what. I realize this is a small team and project; therefore, roles are supposed to be fluid and flexible. Some explanation of what to expect would be helpful so the community isn't so confused. I'm hoping this won't turn into a flamefest.

I'm going to take the most recent source of the emu team structure I could find which comes from the Staff Meeting Notes thread. The structure in question is the current/proposed design:

How I'm going to do this, anything highlighted in red could use some clarification.
    • Community Director:
      Why are there two directors? Why do they oversee area's of conflict(support vs. community relations). What happens if these two have a disagreement? Does it get pushed to a single founder, all active founders, or all founders?
    • Support Leader:
      What does this entail? Support in most game's includes broad area's such as CSR, Moderating, Community Relations(more on that later), and technical assistance(site support)
    • CSR Leader:
      This seem's at conflict with support. If support says no on a situation but CSR says yes who over rides who?
    • EC Leader:
    • CR Leader:
      What exactly is this job? More moderating is done in this position then all the other positions combined. Are they supposed to have the voice of the community? Are they supposed to be the voice for the team? Do their decisions conflict with support?
    • Moderator Leader:
    • Site Services Leader:
      I don't get what this position is for? Site development? Site support? If the latter it should fall under support/

I'm avoiding most of the development side except a few roles.
    • Developer Leader:
      What does this mean? So can a founder say focus on vehicles and a development director say work on cities, but the developer leader and the developers want to work on creatures. Who's decision over ride's all? Is this going to be the voice of the entire developer team?
    • Scrum Manager:
      Since scrum is going to pretty much run the entire development process soon who is overseeing who in this position? Shouldn't scrum and development director be one and the same?

Just some other things that make no sense as well. As it stands the current proposed structure has

18 Leaders/Supervisors/Directors
    and only
    17 supporting members working below the above

The above information was pulled from the chart and excluded founders altogether. If they were put in under leaders there would be 24 leaders and 17 members.

Opinion:This seem's like too many chief's and not enough workers. A lot of the unnecessary fat comes from the community side. Support, CSR, Community Relations, Moderation, and Site Services seem to overlap each other on area's of responsibility. CSR and site services should fall under the support section. Community Relations and Moderation should be one and the same.

Any clarification would be a welcome basket of awesomeness.

Thread Information