Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: All Staff Meeting Notes - Feb 26, 2011

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotter View Post
    So far no one in this thread has said or implied differently.
    In this thread. However, outside this thread this certainly has not been the candor of speech impressed in our daily/weekly/monthly attitudes. Someone's butthurt is always seemingly more important.
    Fivo Asia
    Retired SWGEmu Quality Assurance:

fivo@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs | Galaxy Harvester
    |

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You know what would make this easier? Make the forums private. Take down the public servers. Just have a private forum for developers. I am all for that if it means this project gets to complete its goal of emulating SWG.

To me the public forums and public test servers are a nice bonus we get to enjoy. Totally unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Make em invite only if you all want, doesn't matter to me as long as we all get to enjoy the finished product at the end.
    Last edited by Newsound; 03-02-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    Azaree Noise
    Beggars Canyon
    Kettemoor
    Member of <TAI>

Play Stats
    Inactive
    cRush and Shotter made some very valid points.

From the outside, it seems to me that you guys are trying to mimic SOE or any other big company, when this should be an emulator project based on the community.
    We've all met the guy who decides to start a business.. he rents an office, buys the furniture, the cool "CEO" leather chair, gets pen with the company name on them, business cards and all the rest made.. but then if you ask him what he's selling, or what is business plan is, he can't really give you an answer.. because he didn't think of that yet.
    And in my experience, those guys don't go anywhere in the business world.

Now I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but unless you plan to turn this team into a commercial software company in the immediate future, I don't understand some of your choices.
    Not to mention you don't have to coordinate 300 people. If you had to, then all those sub-teams and area leader would make sense.
    The way I see it, you should have dev staff+dev leader, community staff+community leader. Period. And the "leadership" on top should only make sure everything is working as planned and everyone is doing their job.

And you have to listen to the community and allow them to help when help is needed. As long as the goal is clear, there's no problem whatsoever with the community helping.
    Just keep the goal in mind: 14.1 SWG. So you can and should ignore jedi haters, cm haters, rifleman haters and the likes, because your goal is to recreate a working version of 14.1, with the good and the bad sides.
    Nerfs and such should only take place (if the community so desires) afterwards, on fan servers.

Also, from the outside, it look like you lack a figure of authority who is respected and appreciated by the whole staff. And you do need one.
    That person shouldn't act as a dictator, but he should be able to mediate between staff members when needed and should keep the strong egos in check.
    From the bits and pieces I got to read in those documents, on the forums and on IRC, it is clear as day that you have some people with a very strong ego that are not being handled properly (don't mean to sound disrespectful, it's the best term I can think of and english isn't my primary language).
    I evaluate and manage people for a living and I think I know a thing or two: from the outside and the limited information we have, that's what it looks like.

So I hope you have the right person in your staff to step up and take THAT role, which doesn't necessarily involve a lot of power but only works as long as the person has the full trust of the team. If you don't have such a person in your staff, I hope one of the future members will have what it takes.

So far I've seen a lot of double standards, of Staff members coming out with embarassing posts or remarks on the forum and on IRC, lack of moderation when moderation would be really needed, lack of answers when the community is very confused (answers we end up getting from players who are in contact with staff, most often.. when they want to share the info with the rest of the players).. well, you get my point.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quite right, Idiocy like a cancer grows.

However that's not here, I'd leave other threads to be other threads.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotter View Post
    - Give the EC, GM, and Support leads complete autonomous power.

Because that's always a great idea.

/awkard moment cough
    A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I didn't mean no oversight when writing that, but as it is (Or rather, as it was), Department Leads didn't have power over their own departments, there was so much unnecessary red tape that solely existed for the sake of appearing professional.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't recall nor do I see currently any unnecessary red tape. We can and could pretty much do whatever we wanted already (within events).
    Kreen
    Retired SWGEmu Staff

www.swgemu.com
    Roleplay Federation | Current Events | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The comment wasn't directed at the EC's, GMs or Support members themselves, it was directed at the leaders of said departments.

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Holy necros batman.

Likely, but that will not even be approached until after a vanilla 14.1 release.
    Retired Community Relations

Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Meaning maybe but not in the near future?

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    If I am correct, once the 14.1 is developed and put into 1.0 form, other things can be considered. I would not set your alarm clock for it if that helps. No ETA's are given for any current milestones for project. Sry.
    Retired Community Relations

Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    fair enough. Thanks for answering! o/

Thread Information