Closed Thread

Thread: Playin.fr Interview with SWGEmu Developers

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Why would they? What do they gain by doing so?

They own the patent rights that don't expire till 2025 or close to that that, why would they just give away something that is worth millions?

P.S. SOE claimed, not sure if they changed that statement, that the original Pre-CU code was lost during CU or early NGE.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post

They own the patent rights that don't expire till 2025 or close to that that, why would they just give away something that is worth millions?

P.S. SOE claimed, not sure if they changed that statement, that the original Pre-CU code was lost during CU or early NGE.
    That and it's largely irrelevant, anyway. The strides made by this dev team and their predecessors has made the current build AT LEAST as playable as the original code from the same time period. There are still plenty of bugs to work out, but I can recall just as many game-breaking issues in the official code as there are on Basilisk. Why trade SWGEmu issues for SOE issues of the same grain?

Play Stats
    2h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx480bc View Post
    That and it's largely irrelevant, anyway. The strides made by this dev team and their predecessors has made the current build AT LEAST as playable as the original code from the same time period. There are still plenty of bugs to work out, but I can recall just as many game-breaking issues in the official code as there are on Basilisk. Why trade SWGEmu issues for SOE issues of the same grain?
    Very good point-better off not inheriting SOE's code headaches. At least when you build your own, you built it from the ground up and issues are tackled as they arise.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Just want to say thanks to all working on this project, its good and nostalgic to see player cities again. I played swg for 6 years and was bummed to hear it close. Ive run into alot of old friends from the SOE version on liberator and Basilisk so in a way its like coming home again. Keep it up things are going great!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post

The thing is, they will never reopen the servers for profit nor use that code again, so is it truly worth millions? I could have a Picasso stuck away in the attic, but if I never get it out, sell it or display it until it rots away, was it ever really worth anything at all?

I wish Lucas Arts would just hire the current SWGEmu devs, give them really good jobs and crank out a SWG2, I am sure it would be awesome Honestly it would probably be the only game I would ever again spend money on.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bioda View Post
    The thing is, they will never reopen the servers for profit nor use that code again, so is it truly worth millions? I could have a Picasso stuck away in the attic, but if I never get it out, sell it or display it until it rots away, was it ever really worth anything at all?

I wish Lucas Arts would just hire the current SWGEmu devs, give them really good jobs and crank out a SWG2, I am sure it would be awesome Honestly it would probably be the only game I would ever again spend money on.
    Sadly, there would be a good chance of SWG2 ending up with an NGE2.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    mostly due to the fact that too many people would complain...it is too hard or it takes to long or...saw it too many times on soe forums people complaing that they just got owned.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnat View Post
    Very good point-better off not inheriting SOE's code headaches. At least when you build your own, you built it from the ground up and issues are tackled as they arise.
    Yeah for example after crafting day the SOE code had a bug that prevented full experimentation on many Artisan components that was not fixed until way into NGE. Also at that time they found that the crafting stations and tool ratings due to another bug had no effect on crafting and that bug was fixed. The SWGemu team should be implementing these without the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by bioda View Post

Except that Sony has stated that their is Intellectual Property in the SOE code that has been patented. They use those patents and have the right to be paid by others to use those patents. If they release into the public domain they also release the patents into the public domain and loose the right to receive money for other companies to use that Intellectual Property.

It is not the same as your painting allegory.

Closed Thread

Thread Information