Play Stats
    Inactive
    Sounds good

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuparua View Post
    This doesn't require a wipe though??
    No wipe, 100% database dump and 100% file copy. And remember, this has NOTHING to do with the game servers Liberator/Nova/STM at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by navaho View Post
    24 hours to move a website from one server to the next?
    It takes quite awhile to transfer many GB's of MySQL data and get it reloaded. The copy has already been tested with "old" data but we need to shut this site down, copy the current data and then finish tweaking the setup. I figure this whole process is 4-6 hours if things go perfect - how often do things go perfect - but also remember the DNS change will be up to 24 hours to propogate too.

Quote Originally Posted by xyborn View Post
    Weren't both Liberator and Nova running on the now "Liberator Box"? So, if all three servers have been around for months, what was running on the now "Community Box" previously?
    Vlada did a good job replying but I wanted to expand it a bit more.

We got the third server at the beginning of September I think. The purpose is for a brand new site with "updated" technology on the server side. The tools we are using were just updated/released a few weeks/months before we got the third server. The tools will provide the best, free environment for security, access control, crash isolation and data backups. I won't get into all the details but there is no "Easy Button" for cutting edge server technology that is FREE...so it has taken a lot longer than anticipated.

The new site isn't ready yet so we stopped working on that and shifted gears to copy Chicago to the Community Box so the Developers could have a Nova/STM dedicated server sooner. The Devs need this to keep progress moving in the code, so that change took extra time as well.

The management of Liberator moving to Site Services is also part of the future plan that figures into this equation to help the Developers focus on Nova/STM. We are constantly trying to improve development and this current announcement is not the end of the upcoming changes

The Law of Project Management comes into play here....there are three variables in every project and only two can be controlled. You can pick any two but not three: scope, cost and time. In SWGEmu we have a specific scope/task with almost no money (relative to big gaming companies) so the amount of time to get the scope/task completed just falls beyond anybody's control.
    Last edited by TAfirehawk; 01-04-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    It takes quite awhile to transfer many GB's of MySQL data and get it reloaded. The copy has already been tested with "old" data but we need to shut this site down, copy the current data and then finish tweaking the setup. I figure this whole process is 4-6 hours if things go perfect - how often do things go perfect - but also remember the DNS change will be up to 24 hours to propagate too.

Why not setup mysql repl and do it IN ADVANCE? It will be one less thing to do when you're actually moving the site and it is down.

And drop your TTL to the absolute minimum. Now. Should have been done when this was idea was being conceived.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the info! You guys rock.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    YOu guys are doing great. This is such an ambitious project and your enthusiasm is awesome.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the info

Play Stats
    Inactive
    ty for the info

Play Stats
    Inactive
    not working here

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks so much for all you are doing!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    sounds great =)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Cheers and keep up the good work
    + 1

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Sounds good

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Great Job guys I cannot wait for update!!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    keep up the good work

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good i like the game and I am fine with the rules

Thread Information