Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: November Financial Summary

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Does it matter if the servers are in America if mostly Americans play SWGEMU? Does it prevent us from lagging more if the servers are here rather than England?
    Last edited by BloodySheetMetal; 12-17-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the update guys. :]

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodySheetMetal View Post
    Does it matter if the servers are in America if mostly Americans play SWGEMU? Does it prevent us from lagging more if the servers are here rather than England?
    Probably depends on the quality of the service that you go through when buying a Dedicated Server. But my experience has been, that the closer you are to the server, the better quality communciation you receive.

You kind of feel the effects even when looking at the location of the United States itself. I live on the East Coast, and when I play on West Coast servers, my ping is relatively high comparetively to what I would be on an East Coast server. Granted there are exceptions, not to mention there are times when the ping doesn't actually give bad results, but for the most part it holds up.

So I would assume, and I am no expert in any meaning of the term, that the closer the servers are to your most extensive customer base, the better quality connection they will have.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This sounds a little mercenary, but the way I'd do it is get two quotes and set up two separate funds - one for a US based server, and one for a Euro based server.

The funds have a fixed but secret close date. Whichever fund has more money in it by the close date, thats where they buy the server.

After 1.0, I suspect with a Free Software codebase, you'll get Euro and North American servers anyway.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xbitx View Post
    Probably depends on the quality of the service that you go through when buying a Dedicated Server. But my experience has been, that the closer you are to the server, the better quality communciation you receive.

You kind of feel the effects even when looking at the location of the United States itself. I live on the East Coast, and when I play on West Coast servers, my ping is relatively high comparetively to what I would be on an East Coast server. Granted there are exceptions, not to mention there are times when the ping doesn't actually give bad results, but for the most part it holds up.

So I would assume, and I am no expert in any meaning of the term, that the closer the servers are to your most extensive customer base, the better quality connection they will have.
    You are basically correct. Latency comes down to the quality of the line and the amount of hops it takes to get from point A to point B. If the servers are located on or near some of the main Fiber
    lines the latency would be much less then a server on a fiber line multiple hops away from a main trunk. Depending on the ISP provider used will be a big determining factor on the quality of the line. Using a fiber line from Level 3 will be much better than using a fiber line from mom and pop.

A connection to a server in Europe could be just as quick as a connection to a server in the US depending on the connection and hops.

In the past I have used Hurricane Electric and Media Temple for hosting and dedicated servers. I put in some calls to them today to see what they can do for us. Wouldn't hold my breathe but ya never know.

I would also say I agree with Zonomarr. Finding some way to make it so players do not lose all progress or maybe compensating for the loss will help keep the existing and new player base. For some grinding out a combat profession is no biggy and lots of people respec quite often. The loss of credits, resources, and hard fought loot is a hard pill to swallow for people.

Last edited by 707eric; 12-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    all this debate over servers is irrelevant.. ok so there are 65000 registered users for this forum 4000 of which are active members.. if all these people claim to care so much about this project then if only half of those active users donated 2 dollars just one time, it would be a huge deal.. if those same people donated 2 dollars every month, this project might actually get completed and we will have SWG back.. most of you are paying subscriptions for other games right now anyway, WOW or TOR or whatever else you play, so we should maybe start a fund raising campaign instead of *****ing about how the money is spent on servers. unless none of you can afford 2 dollars, which is not the case. the homeless guy begging down at 7-11 has 2 bucks in his pocket.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    oh sorry, the minimum donate is $5. im gonna put a bigger donation than 5 in but who else is with me? its just 5 bucks

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I know you guys an who ever else are probably working hard etc. Not being any where into marketing or collecting donations though an for my age I have noticed a decrease in the amount of people playing due to them leaving and playing SWTOR. On the other note lots of people just want the live server already. Yeah I know its the same question, but what it boils down too is an upcoming money Situation "TO AVOID". On a serious Note to take into consideration of having a live server with the new code an no wipes with it just being update from there on out can see a lot of improvements to drive people back here to EMU and collect more donations through out.

My idea to avoiding this possible money situation in the future would be to "Advertise" rather its through blogs, Youtube, and what ever free service is out there to do so. We have to bring word to those leaving Galaxies Tomorrow after its shut down and Draw in players from the SWTOR based community who are probably a 75% population of WoW players and SWG based players. Also bringing the live server out would help people Stay. The reason that is, is for the fact of everyone in SWG lost tons of time and hard work or dedication to their Players and Items. With the live server up it would coat us players an previous EMU players to not having issues with loosing are time we spent into Players/Items/Community Based Strategy! This would also Reassure an Strive long lasting players to stay and continue to Play SWGEMU. Sure people come and go, but the key is to keeping them an as many as possible an of course introducing new players to Star Wars Galaxies (EMU). Its a free based MMO and with a large campaign to some how advertise would draw new adults or youn adults to through small or big donations.

This came off the top of the dome. I'm sure many have probably or already know that info I just posted from common knowledge as I. Plus we have to Compete with SWTOR's Release which will make things more difficult already. So just some thing to take into serious consideration or to avoid future problems. Hope it helps.

Long Live SWG/EMU.

- Thanks

Zonomarr[/QUOTE]

i think this is a very good point and i know several of my friends who played pre cu who are now playing swtor including me would love to be playing swg-emu but don't want to invest are time into something that's going to be deleted, i knnow there;s a bigger picture, but unfortuinately i think most people feel the same way, if we had a live server where we know that everything that we've created isn't going to be delted we would also be more willing to donate.(i actually have donated a few times)

like he sid something to think about

Thread Information