Thread: November Financial Summary

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive

Post November Financial Summary

SWGEmu November Financial Summary

December 6, 2011
    The SWGEmu Team

November had 43 donations that resulted in a gross amount of $845.00 and a net amount of $805.85 after PayPal fees.

November had the following expenses (two months worth of FDC bills were withdrawn from the account in November but we list only one here because we don't pay twice a month, it was just the way the dates worked out).
    FDC for three dedicated servers = $897.00
    BurstNet for Windows virtual private server = $7.95
    Xzibition for IRC virtual private server = $8.76
    TOTAL EXPENSES = $913.71

November had a total shortfall of $107.86 with a final PayPal account balance of $5,867. The cost of the NPO has not been paid yet and that is around $1,500.

~ The SWGEmu Team

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Nice bit of info there.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Very clean and nicely stated - love the use of greens and reds for positives and negatives. (sorry I'm an accountant I notice these things heh.)

Looking forward to helping pay the bills when I graduate next May.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    this post is just to say" WE WANT YOU MONEY NOW!"

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostjeep View Post
    this post is just to say" WE WANT YOU MONEY NOW!"
    Not really...it is just disclosing information. The bank account is doing rather well but we do have some upcoming expenses with the new site/servers and NPO that will begin eating into any cushion we have with money.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    i feel oddly compelled to say "lol", this is disturbing for you guys to post on more than one level

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't find it disturbing. People wanted transparency and here it is.
    Former QA Leader

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    There is no new information contained here. The donations could already be seen on the bar and the costs were public. We simply summarized them as we have to report our financial status as an NPO.
    Oru
    Founder

oru@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Dont get me wrong but i still just wonder about your server costs - why are your root servers that expensive?

If you order a dedicated server in the U.K you'll get a 8 GIG Quadcore (TB Raid) with all the nice extras for about 60 pounds, which is like 94 $.
    3 Servers come 282.- $$ - why are you paying almost thousand bucks? Odd.

The U.K. server has 3 TB traffic included.

The server company has also server farms in germany, where the traffic is unlimited (!) and they are even cheaper:
    90 bucks/server with everything included.

The IRC Server:
    Should be a service on the webserver, no need for an extra (virtual) machine.

3 servers á 90 = 270,-
    1 virtual Windows server (what for?): 10,-

Total: 280,- $

Like said, dont get me wrong - i just sense something:
    The project will still take alooong time and almost every developer once being part here has left.
    These days only one Dev keeps up the work, TA is bugfixing.

Does not sound promising and i am pretty sure it wont change anytime soon.
    In terms of forsight it is advised to cut the costs to ensure the EMU going and not suffering from unpaid server invoices.

Just my 0.02

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm guessing that they look for US-based companies because for them it's easier to access their machines in case something goes wrong.

The "Liberator cloud server testing" is precisely a test to see if (for now) the "production" server can be moved to one of those virtual machines without having unexpected problems, be it with the software or the bandwidth. If things go as planned, it is possible that they do a mass switch to Cloud computing and data warehousing for a considerable reduction in the maintenance costs.

Yet they are not rushing to the lowest cost option in case things go sour.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrios View Post
    Dont get me wrong but i still just wonder about your server costs - why are your root servers that expensive?

If you order a dedicated server in the U.K you'll get a 8 GIG Quadcore (TB Raid) with all the nice extras for about 60 pounds, which is like 94 $.
    3 Servers come 282.- $$ - why are you paying almost thousand bucks? Odd.
    I may be wrong here, but I believe this setup is still used (can't remember exactly right now):

Two octa-core server processors, but we upgraded the line to a 1.0 Gbit connection, and the webserver is running 8GB RAM. The vast majority of our players are US-based so US-based hosting is, I imagine, preferred. Pricing may be different between countries.
    Revanis
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Active Nobody

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would very much like to se the source of that info and compare the prices, i just googled "UK based dedicated servers" and got Host-it as a first hit.

Their best box is £324.95 which is $506.951, and that's for a box that is nowhere near what we need/use. Tin 6 cores instead of twin 8 cores, we have 52GB more RAM, 4x1.5TB blah, blah, blah. And thats just the box, no dedicated line.

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    It's not only the box but the network. 3TB was simply not enough for a month and a 100mbit line is inadequate, need 1gigs. FDC offers the best deal on the net so far, the price is ****ty maintenance and service.

We are trying to save costs moving our servers to the cloud, because some of it are fairly idle at times but so far the prices are even higher.
    Oru
    Founder

oru@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Nice to see the break down in expenses.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrios View Post
    The IRC Server:
    Should be a service on the webserver, no need for an extra (virtual) machine.
    The other stuff might be false info but I've long thought that our current IRC service is a waste of money. It doesn't happen very often but occasionally it goes down and every now and then there is a chain of screw ups. It'd probably be easier to host it ourselves, I mean it uses practically nothing in terms of resources as far as I am aware. It would cut a few dollars and probably be more stable in the long term.

Thread Information