Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Staff Meeting Summary for November 5, 2011

  1. #16
    Dedicated Jaddynnstarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    799
    I have a question.... So does this mean they are setting up a lib server for the community to play with and a community dev team to work on bugs on it? Or have i misread this? If so, does that mean the current lib will be transfered there, andbe active for quite a while?

  2. #17
    Retired SWGEmu Staff Revanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaddynnstarr View Post
    I have a question.... So does this mean they are setting up a lib server for the community to play with and a community dev team to work on bugs on it? Or have i misread this? If so, does that mean the current lib will be transfered there, andbe active for quite a while?
    The box that Liberator will be hosted on will be a bit more accessible to us. Not sure so much of bugs fixes/changes, but it at LEAST means we'll have more of an ability to do things like troubleshooting technical issues, a more flexible restart timer and possible planned restarts to ensure a more stable environment for players.

    However, Liberator code is very, very unstable at the base level, so non-essential bug fixes may be scarce (depending on whether or not how stable a change may be), but massive bug/exploits may be more readily corrected. In time we'll be able to tell, but for the time being it's more of a bonus to how well we can keep Liberator maintained and stable whilst the official developers work on the newer, better OR code.
    Last edited by Revanis; 11-08-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Revanis
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Active Nobody

  3. #18
    Call me overly cautious, but is it wise to keep the emu servers on the same host? We've already seen some major hd breakdowns and keeping them on the same machine will cripple all of them at the same time if anything goes wrong. Seeing as there are multiple dedicated servers available I would suggest separating them so only one of them will be down if the unthinkable happens. Totally different subject - once Nova replaces Liberator, will you still keep a separate TC or will that be it, subject to periodic wipes?

  4. #19
    The Vlada Vlada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elephant Graveyard
    Posts
    33,041
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesdk View Post
    Call me overly cautious, but is it wise to keep the emu servers on the same host? We've already seen some major hd breakdowns and keeping them on the same machine will cripple all of them at the same time if anything goes wrong. Seeing as there are multiple dedicated servers available I would suggest separating them so only one of them will be down if the unthinkable happens. Totally different subject - once Nova replaces Liberator, will you still keep a separate TC or will that be it, subject to periodic wipes?
    I'm pretty sure one of the servers will be moved to a different box maybe even to a box in a different city.
    Last edited by Vlada; 11-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.

    The Vlada


    vlada@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source project.
    Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs | How to Report a bug

  5. #20
    Member Auq-Din's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chimaera/Farstar
    Posts
    396
    This is very positive news, congratulations.

  6. #21
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,748
    Posted some more detailed answers in post #2.

  7. #22
    Newbie SWgalaxies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tatooine
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by vicrock View Post
    Great to see open accounting and NPO registration.

    TA starting to step away is a good start as well.
    Totaly agree and just want to give my thanks for giving us some glimmer of hope for our SWG futures

    /tiphat
    "I suggest a new strategy 'Smedley' , let the 'SWGemu' win"

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,745
    QA Department VPS - running Windows only software
    Expansion on what that is exactly used for could be useful.
    I heard it was only $7 and it runs Aceblades Windows' QA Tool but curious why the tool needs a VPS so explanation on that would be cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revanis View Post
    The box that Liberator will be hosted on will be a bit more accessible to us. Not sure so much of bugs fixes/changes, but it at LEAST means we'll have more of an ability to do things like troubleshooting technical issues, a more flexible restart timer and possible planned restarts to ensure a more stable environment for players.

    However, Liberator code is very, very unstable at the base level, so non-essential bug fixes may be scarce (depending on whether or not how stable a change may be), but massive bug/exploits may be more readily corrected. In time we'll be able to tell, but for the time being it's more of a bonus to how well we can keep Liberator maintained and stable whilst the official developers work on the newer, better OR code.
    Hit and miss on Liberator maintenance, the issue is for bug fixes etc not all of them are exactly easy and with no one from development side helping it might be difficult for the "Community Side" to deal with the issues in the Liberator code. Technical issues will be easier to deal with such as having access to the database (Well I assume you will have more access to the Database) and being able to restart is nice. But yeah fixing bugs/exploits I doubt any of that will happen.
    Archived Work & Research: Here
    Github: http://github.com/MTGUli
    SWGEmu Needs Better QA Staff
    http://bit.ly/t637l9

  9. #24
    Retired SWGEmu Staff Revanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Uli View Post
    Hit and miss on Liberator maintenance, the issue is for bug fixes etc not all of them are exactly easy and with no one from development side helping it might be difficult for the "Community Side" to deal with the issues in the Liberator code. Technical issues will be easier to deal with such as having access to the database (Well I assume you will have more access to the Database) and being able to restart is nice. But yeah fixing bugs/exploits I doubt any of that will happen.

    Pending reviews of plausible options that have arisen, no primary developer will be needed for Liberator after the transfer is finalized. The purpose of transfer is to take the box off developer hands. There may be the ability to change things in the future without developers (at least not the main developers) input. Buuut that's all on the horizon and the main thing is that TA won't have to deal with wasting time on Liberator, hopefully.

    So we'll see.
    Revanis
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Active Nobody

  10. #25
    Separating that TESTING from the PLAYING will be the best move you've made in a long time.

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanis View Post
    Pending reviews of plausible options that have arisen, no primary developer will be needed for Liberator after the transfer is finalized. The purpose of transfer is to take the box off developer hands. There may be the ability to change things in the future without developers (at least not the main developers) input. Buuut that's all on the horizon and the main thing is that TA won't have to deal with wasting time on Liberator, hopefully.

    So we'll see.
    I'm really unsure on the ability to change things without the help of developers especially when it comes to liberator code.

    Curious what bugs/exploits you plan to ATTEMPT to fix.
    Archived Work & Research: Here
    Github: http://github.com/MTGUli
    SWGEmu Needs Better QA Staff
    http://bit.ly/t637l9

  12. #27
    Retired SWGEmu Staff Aceblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Uli View Post
    Expansion on what that is exactly used for could be useful.
    I heard it was only $7 and it runs Aceblades Windows' QA Tool but curious why the tool needs a VPS so explanation on that would be cool.
    We have an internal task management tool that was donated to us by InforumUp. Normally this license would have cost $2,100.

    Why do we need this?
    a) As with every QA department tasks need assigned to individuals with goals for dates of completion.
    b) This allows us to go in-depth regarding Tasks / Testing Flow and communicate / distribute the workload.


    Attached is an image of the Shipwright tasks that were assigned.

    Informup.jpg
    Former QA Leader

  13. #28
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks Aceblade....I added that to Post #2.

  14. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    134
    Is there any kind of heartbeat/drbd or even mysql replication in use or planned to prevent disaster or make recovery more expedient?

    I mean, I don't think there has been a single after disaster report posted. No indication it's even had thought time put into it.

  15. #30
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by navaho View Post
    Is there any kind of heartbeat/drbd or even mysql replication in use or planned to prevent disaster or make recovery more expedient?

    I mean, I don't think there has been a single after disaster report posted. No indication it's even had thought time put into it.
    Read the second post....Of course we will have better backups in the future.

    We kept people updated throughout the process so everybody that wanted to know has the information for what happened. I certainly don't see the need for an "after disaster report"....we had RAID fail and didn't have a separate backup for the character/user account table but everything else on Liberator was safe.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts