Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast

Thread: Server downtime 10/18/11

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaddynnstarr View Post
    while this is true, 80% of hardware fails or greater can be detected by hardware monitoring software.... and those are better odds then the 100% "WTF just happened" crashes... look im not saying its gonna solve the problem 100% or prevent it 100% all im sayin is, you will likely be forwarned of a problem and able to start recovery much sooner then if you dont have it......
    Some sound reasoning here, I just wonder if we are asking too much for a FREE game. I mean, yes most of us are willing to donate some money some times, but perhaps the reason it is going to be free is because they ARE running it out of someone's capable makeshift datacenter that does not have all the bells and whistles. I just hope if they do want equipment that will help us avoide hardware fails, they will let us know how much it'd cost and fundraise for it. oh wow 9pm already? Hey this thread ate my time up quite nicely! lol Goodnight all, must go make believe there is no PC... like the spoon in Matrix. There is no PC, there IS no PC....

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Me and the family tried Guild Wars after SWG Failed, it was a good game but personally I didn't like the instanced worlds outside of the towns where only you and your group played. It was like nothing more than a multiplayer game. I never tried GW2 though, so I'm not sure what updates have been made.

In the end, there is no SWG (now SWGEMU) alternative, I have spent years looking for one and have had absolutely no success.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xyled777 View Post

In the end, there is no SWG (now SWGEMU) alternative, I have spent years looking for one and have had absolutely no success.
    Agreed. Until I found out about this emu about two months ago I hadn't even bothered with an MMO for at least 3 years

Play Stats
    Inactive
    so no new info since early this morning ? i figured for sure wed have heard something while i was at work all day

what are the 8 stages of grief again ?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would like to take a second and weigh in on the whole wipe issue. several valid points on both ends here, but i think that due to this being a test environment, i will lean in favor of a wipe at this point. Here is my reasoning.

While it is true that alot of players have amassed quite a bit of wealth and items and force progression, most of that is undercut by the fact that there was alot of exploitation, duping and unlocks with a lil "help".
    I think it would be in the best interest of the community to restart things to clear the slate of all the bad and dubious events of the past. I respect that there will be poeple who want to keep what they have aquired, and i even have some hesitation of losing what i have aquired myself. But i think as a whole, we all would be much better off just cleaning the slate and starting anew.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    wipe, no wipe...it's all the same to me. What others have/don't have doesn't affect me or my game time. I like the characters and gear I have, but Anything I have now can be regained. I just want to play again

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I wanna play!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    there was alot of exploitation, duping and unlocks with a lil "help".
    I have, so far, avoided touching on those reasons. In my opinion these are secondary to the "Lib will not be fixed" and "Lib is not perminatant" so why fix it argument. Having said that, Jaddynnstarr has raised a very good point.

/findcanopener
    /opencanofworms

Are the same "lil helpers" trying to keep the jedi's for their friends, knowing they wont get away with helping them again?

P.S. OK so maybe its more Pandora's Box than a can of worms.
    <RYYK>
    Not a Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivojedi View Post
    Considering that I wrote the code to make it that way, yes, I'm sure.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    where is some news?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
    Some sound reasoning here, I just wonder if we are asking too much for a FREE game. I mean, yes most of us are willing to donate some money some times, but perhaps the reason it is going to be free is because they ARE running it out of someone's capable makeshift datacenter that does not have all the bells and whistles. I just hope if they do want equipment that will help us avoide hardware fails, they will let us know how much it'd cost and fundraise for it. oh wow 9pm already? Hey this thread ate my time up quite nicely! lol Goodnight all, must go make believe there is no PC... like the spoon in Matrix. There is no PC, there IS no PC....
    i see the point obout asking too much, but remember... TA quit his job to work on this full time did he not? so in a sense... we ARE paying for this to get done... i realize its supposed to be a free game and such and have no qualms withthe devs working on it when they can... my beef is with why cant we get better service out of the data center we are using. Ill be honest... hardware monitoring services in a data center 90% of the time is a freebie included with your account.

so i pose this question... are the servers being hosted by a fly by night data center or a well grounded respectable data center? can we at least know the name of the company that is hosting this beast?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjebus View Post
    Are the same "lil helpers" trying to keep the jedi's for their friends, knowing they wont get away with helping them again?

The offenders were halted and the system secured so things like that can't happen in the future, so that shouldn't be the case I would think.

so i pose this question... are the servers being hosted by a fly by night data center or a well grounded respectable data center? can we at least know the name of the company that is hosting this beast?
    Hard-drives are known to fail. That's why manufacturers publish what is known as an MTBF (I am sure you are aware of this). RAID setups increase the risk of failure substantially, and on a(n almost) 24/7 uptime setup like the SWGEmu network, one cannot expect perfect results. That, and considering two out of four HDDs failed, time has to be taken to ensure data is properly restored and future risk minimized.
    Last edited by Revanis; 10-22-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    Revanis
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Active Nobody

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanis View Post
    The offenders were halted and the system secured so things like that can't happen in the future, so that shouldn't be the case I would think.
    Thats exactly my point. They can't do it again. So "lets spend a week recovering the ones we got you, because we can't do it again."
    <RYYK>
    Not a Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivojedi View Post
    Considering that I wrote the code to make it that way, yes, I'm sure.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjebus View Post
    I have, so far, avoided touching on those reasons. In my opinion these are secondary to the "Lib will not be fixed" and "Lib is not perminatant" so why fix it argument. Having said that, Jaddynnstarr has raised a very good point.

/findcanopener
    /opencanofworms

My intention was not to seek out the jedi helpers or what have you, i was just stating the 3 most used reasons that people use to argue with as the point. Im not gonna pretend to know what really happened with poeples accounts or items, all i know is, it happened, lets wipe it to put it in the past so we can move forward.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Revanis View Post

Hard-drives are known to fail. That's why manufacturers publish what is known as an MTBF (I am sure you are aware of this). RAID setups increase the risk of failure substantially, and on a(n almost) 24/7 uptime setup like the SWGEmu network, one cannot expect perfect results. That, and considering two out of four HDDs failed, time has to be taken to ensure data is properly restored and future risk minimized.
    Revan, I take issue with the MTBF being listed as a substantial increase of risk of failure here... MTBF is not really a good measure for reliability on raid arrays due to the fact it doesnt take into accont that a raid fixes itself by most means when a drive fails... I do know that on SSD's unless you run a data management prog on it, you can burn out a SSD much faster, but that is an inherent risk of using the drive period... and these are HDD's we are talking about... so... no data management needed. writing on one drive will be equal (for the most part) on all other drives in the array depending on what type of raid is used of course. Ive not seen any documentation on how raid substantially decreases the life of a drive. Ive seen it posted that it affects it minutely, but not substantially.

Still waiting on the name of the data center hosting this as well hehehe or is that not gonna be forthcoming?

P.S. im not expecting perfection out of this, my only gripe is that for whatever reason, the datacenter is not providing this service to us. Is there a reason for it? If its money, can we take some of the extra 400-500$ a month that gets donated to include this service from the data center, since they seem to not be including it in our services?(which IMHO means its a ****ty data center) If not, can we move to a different data center?
    Last edited by Jaddynnstarr; 10-22-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Goodnight/morning to everyone still following the thread. Hopefully some more news when I wake up as to what is happening.

Good luck to the Devs! Good luck to Revanis, Vlada, Elyssia, Aceblade with the off topics!

Peace All!
    Formerly of Eclipse- Chri'stien Stormcaller-MBH/MPistoleer, T'eanna Naati-MDancer/MCH: Liberator as Ichelle, Rinshae, T'eanna, Vapre, Uthtan, etc.

Thread Information