Page 49 of 65 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Server downtime 10/18/11

Play Stats
    Inactive
    /agree with kxrider235

I have limited IT experience, mainly from tinkering since HS, but this is a well done post!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by refreund View Post
    i have today off from work... im withdrawling my balls off!
    LMAO .... that funny Hammered the way you put it anywayz....hopefully my guess of 4PM PST friday will be correct. We'll see.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    damnit its friday and for once i dont have any plans and now ... ((

I wish they would just give up with recovering the old data so i can enjoy a lazy friday at home but on the other hand it shows great determination on their side to give the players back what they worked hard to get. It kinda shows that they care

btw, thx for the updates Vlada!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ddvannoy View Post
    Did they change their minds and plan on giving it more than one last shot?
    This is them giving it "one last" shot.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    This is them giving it "one last" shot.
    let's hope they either fail or succeed quickly hehe

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterLFD View Post
    Faulty from the factory??? We've been playing on those drives for over 6 months..
    Faulty from factory is a little far fetched ,as where ELF (early life failure)due to poor components/manufacturing process is a viable reason for 2 HDD's dropping at the same time.

I really would have thought there would have been an minimal of a monthly backup done as course. so if such a scenario happened the worst case would be a 30 day roll back.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't play on Liberator, but I am glad that it is around to help maintain a lot of interest in the project. So, I think it is unfortunate that it will likely be wiped as a result of the data loss (although many Lib players seem to be almost anxious for it).

One thing that strikes me is that this shows the need for some periodic off-site backups, particularly after Suncrusher hits. SWGEmu is free so it would be crass to complain, but particularly after 1.0 hits people will expect a certain degree of stability. So, I agree with @ledvan -- think of this as a "live and learn" moment, and we'll all move forward!

On Core3: Kitigruqe / Maia / Ikoro

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bazweller View Post
    It does seem bizarre that a professional host doesn't have everything required to fix any problem that may occur, no matter how slim a chance it is of happening.
    If you're paying for a "rack space and bandwidth" package, then no, not strange at all. In that situation, the hosting company will not touch your equipment. Literally nor figuratively. They'll monitor your bandwidth usage, and make sure the environmentals were up to SLA, and that's it. When your gear breaks, you own all the smoking parts, including the repair efforts/financials. Pretty standard stuff.

I'm not flaming bazweller. This is a recurring theme I keep seeing in this thread, and I don't think people understand the economics.

If this were a critical application, then you spend more money and have surgeons standing by and body parts in the freezer.

Despite the apparent expectations of some users of this free service called SWGEmu, this project -- and I say this with love -- really doesn't warrant the added expense to have a full double inventory of all parts and a staff of professionals on call 24/7 for hardware failures.

I give them credit for keeping perspective, not spending the donations foolishly, and yet interrupting their own personal lives -- without compensation -- when the call comes in.

What more could we possibly ask for?

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wjenet View Post
    If you're paying for a "rack space and bandwidth" package, then no, not strange at all. In that situation, the hosting company will not touch your equipment. Literally nor figuratively. They'll monitor your bandwidth usage, and make sure the environmentals were up to SLA, and that's it. When your gear breaks, you own all the smoking parts, including the repair efforts/financials. Pretty standard stuff.

I'm not flaming bazweller. This is a recurring theme I keep seeing in this thread, and I don't think people understand the economics.

If this were a critical application, then you spend more money and have surgeons standing by and body parts in the freezer.

Despite the apparent expectations of some users of this free service called SWGEmu, this project -- and I say this with love -- really doesn't warrant the added expense to have a full double inventory of all parts and a staff of professionals on call 24/7 for hardware failures.

I give them credit for keeping perspective, not spending the donations foolishly, and yet interrupting their own personal lives -- without compensation -- when the call comes in.

Very well said, Sir.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    If you're paying for a "rack space and bandwidth" package, then no, not strange at all...
    Hear hear!

Play Stats
    Inactive

Well said /agree

Play Stats
    330h last 30d

Well said. It is "on" at this point mainly for fun and to keep interest keen, which are great community features. Having Pre-CU SWG available at all is a wonderful thing! I am clearly not alone in my deeply felt appreciation for the hard work and sacrifice that has gotten this so far.

Catastrophic failures offer opportunities. Good object lesson in the importance of a more robust approach when the more permanent versions arrive. The folks working on this are obviously quite knowledgeable, and this is something they have no doubt considered in greater depth than most of us would comprehend. The current setup is likely a compromise to allow us to have some fun, and not break the bank doing it.

So, if they are able to retrieve and restore the data, wow! Great work! And if not, a fresh start is fun, too.

Play Stats
    Inactive

I agree, however a couple more points. Donations far exceed monthly targets and we also do not know what service they are paying for.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Once more unto the breach dear friends

Never in the field of Galaxies has so much been tried by so few ...Good luck fingers crossed and time will tell thankyou for all the effort going on.....

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bazweller View Post
    I agree, however a couple more points. Donations far exceed monthly targets and we also do not know what service they are paying for.
    I thought donations were voluntary with no strings attached, I imagine they save them to buy new HDD's or for when times are lean, tbh, I don't care if they use them to kick back with a few beers whilst watching Episode IV in a custom built home cinema if it keeps them donating their free time to the project.

Thread Information