• Staff Updates
    • Quick Stats
    • Staff Round-Table
    • Closing
    SWGEmu Project Updates

Major Additions/Changes

Staff Updates

SWGEmu is Recruiting!

SWGEmu is an ever-changing and growing organization where new talent is always being sought out. We especially would like to mention the need for more developers, please see this thread for more information.

SWGEmu is also in need of other positions filled. For anyone interested in spending some of there free time toward this project, please consider to join in on our SWGEmu Internship Program . We are in need of CSRs.

There have been three changes in staff in 2022.

Ellyssia stepped down as a moderator this year. Adaso is our new full QA and we have Clavatesrull (QA), Jediborg (Pyrrhus (EC)), Kazutombo (QA), Pyjri (mod) joining us as interns. Thank you for wanting to contribute to our project!

Quick Stats

Registration Statistics:
    • Daily:
      • January 10, 2022 - 59 accounts registered
      • December 11, 2022 - 1 account registered
    • Monthly:
      • January 2022 - 1098 accounts registered
      • December 2022 - 167 accounts registered
    • Yearly:
      • 2022 - 4998 accounts registered; average 416,5 per month
    User Activity Statistics (Users online in one day):
    • Most users online: February 16, 2022 - 1117 users
    • Least users online: December 31. 2022 - 284 users
    New thread statistics (Posted threads):
    • Daily:
      • January 9, 2022 - 98 new threads
      • December 20, 2022 - 3 new threads
    • Monthly:
      • January 2022 - 1961 new threads
      • December 2022 - 365 new threads
    • Yearly:
      • ​2022 - 10393 new threads, average 28,47 new threads daily
    • Daily:
      • February 1, 2022 - 559 new posts
      • December 16, 20221 - 24 new posts
    • Monthly:
      • January 2022 - 11607 new posts
      • December 2022 - 1809 new posts
    • Yearly:
      • ​2022 - 159405 new posts, average 436,73 new posts daily

Top Statistics all time:

Most users online:
    7700 (07-27-2020 10:02 PM)
    Most viewed thread: SWGEmu Timeline
    Most replied thread: Force Progression Thread (Liberator)
    Most popular forum: Basilisk Trade Forum
    Top poster: Vlada (33032 posts)

Staff Round-Table

Hakry - Developer
    Just want to remind all of our community members that we are all here to be able to enjoy this game we all have played and loved. Lets not forget that this project has only made it this far from volunteer contributors as well as community support. So let us all remember to be positive additions to our community as we approach the final push to the end, the 1.0 goal, that has always been talked about.

We have really made some advancements this year in hitting some of those untouched obstacles that have been lingering for years in terms of development. We are the lowest we have been on Confirmed Mantis Bug Reports in a very long. That number will continue to be driven down as the total missing remaining implementations hits zero. Finalizer has allowed us to test out a variety of changes behind configuration flags so we can view their outcome in a real time server environment and their use can be weighed for a post 1.0 server. I am sure there are many more great things to come.
    Lordkator - SWGEmu Admin
    It's been another crazy year on the project. We launched Finalizer in December of 2021 and spent most of 2022 progressing the project along the 14.1
    target while testing new ideas on Finalizer. Since launching Finalizer, over 15,400 unique accounts have logged in and played 6,256,854 hours. I
    changed jobs, moved to a new state, bought a house, and continued to deal with the reality of the real-world economy and its impacts on all of us.

As if moving my life to a new state and a new home wasn't enough, our ISP told us we needed to move to new servers as they were shutting down the data
    center our current servers were in on 11/30, and the new cost was 2.7x our current monthly rate. So I spent a couple of months testing various
    providers and solutions, looking for something with the right price, reliability profile, and flexibility we needed. And instead of enjoying holidays
    with my family I spent them moving our very complex environment to a new service provider. We moved with very few hiccups, but this was easily 120
    hours of my life, or more I will never get back.

I am building more analytics pipelines to make it easier for us to focus on the impact changes we make have on the game in general with a specific
    view towards the economy (credits and resources). I'm starting a series of posts based on the data we've gathered over the last year, see: Use the
    data Luke... Finalizer 1 Year In: Data Sources

I am happy to see the progress the project has made this year, and our dev team has grown. I've had the pleasure of mentoring new members and
    empowering them to move faster (with plenty of backups and tools) to support our ever-forward goal of getting to 14.1, so we can call this project
    done.

I'm still deciding if I will join the 1.0+ project. While I moved our services, I simplified our service setup to make it easier for someone else to
    maintain all our services. I did this mainly with an eye to longevity for the project, but also selfishly, so I have the option to fade away, knowing
    the project can still keep going from the foundation we all built over the many years... In general, staying motivated to work on this project is
    challenging with the amount of negativity, personal attacks, and constant claims of corruption or whatever the "drama flavor" of the day is. Even
    though we say it all the time, I don't think people understand what it's like to volunteer literally 100's of hours of your life and get nothing in
    return while also being told you're a moron, aren't doing it right, are cheating or helping others cheat. It wears on a person's psyche; while 99.99%
    of the community is playing a game, we're all working when we, too, could be playing this game or another or spending quality time with our family,
    friends, or other things. This constant wear is what keeps me on the fence about the 1.0+ project, I'm not sure it's healthy for me to continue with
    the project if things stay this toxic. Time will tell, but the Jury is out and deliberating. Keep that in mind the next time you post something on the
    forums, discord, or in chat, we're people too on staff, and we have hearts and minds, and I hope we deserve a bit of your respect for the time we all
    put in. However, be mindful that your post could be the one that breaks the camel's back and destroys the very thing you are so passionate about.

Soon(tm) is closer than ever, now we're seeing JTL come alive, and the final items in the dev backlog are getting shorter by the day thanks to Hakry
    and others leading the charge down the last miles towards the 14.1 goal.

I'm excited to see where the project heads next; it'll be interesting to see the debates fly once 14.1 is "in the can."
    Loshult - Developer
    Another year over, and almost everything in the 1.0 plan is either finished or ongoing. It is nice to see the community keeping up with this fantastic game year after year and it is really fun and exiting to be able to be a part of the process to get this now almost 20 year old game back to life and to the state we all loved back then.
    Adaso - Quality Assurance
    2022 went by fast, it saw many major 14.1 emulation milestones for the project, including the shuttering of Basilisk after a decade of service. The year also brought in a handful of QoL changes & the beginning of some custom content in the form of World Bosses, among other things.

Thank you to the talented team -- and to the community. I'm excited to see what 2023 brings.

Fastburn
    - Quality Assurance
    We accomplished at lot in 2022, with the new server, we were able to find bugs that had hard to find with Basilisk and we have found out a lot about how some these very old bugs have been impacting players. We could not have done this without players, even after all this time reporting information to us as they play. It will only be even more busy in 2023 as we look forward to major changes for getting through to 14.1/1.0 milestones, even one of our post 1.0 milestones JTL, will require a lot of testing as we move forward. Remember there are still a lot of tickets left to work on keep on testing and reporting.

As for the Event Team, we had a very busy year with new events, changing events, player events and changes to allowed us to have more interesting events going forward. At the end of the year, we ended Basilisk in a 8 hour event, one of our longest ongoing events ran by Event Coordinators and it was a blast to end it quite literally with a bang. As always, you can request assistance with Event Coordinators for any player ran event, with some of our new tools, we can do a lot more than we have done in the past, especially for those who want some unique events. It looks like 2023 will be a blast for the Event team and I can't wait to show you what we work on next.
    Jaws - CSR
    Our fantastic devs and community code contributors have finished the lion's share of what was left to the 14.1 content. It is exciting discussing changes and content past the confines of 14.1. The future is bright and Soon(TM) has become much Sooner(TM)
    Lavoria (Natasa) - Event Coordinator
    Holy moly, 2022 has been quite the year for staff as well as the community. As always we shall continue forward in a positive manner and keep bringing the game updates, events and (gasp) possibly, maaaaaaybe, some JTL lovin. 2022 saw the end of many things, the biggest one being Basilisk's demise, and ohhhh man did it go out with a BANG! (puns).
    Finalizer hit its first birthday (Where did the time go, o_0) So instead of rambling on, as I've been known to do (lol), I leave you all with this. Hold onto your socks, cuz 2023 is gonna be OFF THE CHAIN! <3<3<3
    Lolindir - SWGEmu Admin
    A lot have been going on this year. We saw a new server at the end of last year and we said our goodbye to another server. Loved and hated. Whatever feels it gave any of us, we wouldn't have been where we are now without Basilisk. It served us well. We are closing in on the finishing line now, we can see the end of the project. We have even seen significant work done to JTL. I'm excited for the coming year and where it will take us.

Closing

Another year has past. There have been more happening than in a long time. More players and more with the project it self. Finalizer have seen numerous updates, instead of Basilisk updates that was 1,5 years in the waiting. The 14.1 part of our project goal is so close to be done. This year we have also introduced changes that is outside 14.1. Some controversial, others well received. We will continue that trend in 2023. There are more things we want to try before we start on our 1.0+ work. We said JTL would happen after our 14.1 goal, but slowly we are going along there too. Who knows, maybe we will meet in space in 2023. That would be something. Will you have an X-Wing? Tie Fighter? Or maybe you want to rain havoc in a Rihkxyrk? We might be able to. To me, 2023 looks promising.

Thank you for your continued support. Looking forward to seeing you out there! May the force be with us all....

~The SWGEmu Team
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you for all the hard work as always. Lots of great updates in 2022, and plenty of reasons to be excited for 2023.
    WAFFA/HASMIR
    Antiquities collector
    Tapes/Loot/Drop Off @ 2587 -4575 (WEST OF EISLEY)

Play Stats
    113h last 30d
    Thank you everyone who has put their sweat, blood, and tears into making this possible. You guys and gals are amazing! I can't wait to see everyone in space!!!!

IGN Shyloe, and Cydonia. Drop-off vendor located @ /way 6188, 6206. NIKA Marketplace.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks to everyone on staff for making SWG pre-CU possible in 2023!

*Czar-Mart*drop off vendor located at: /way -4298 5462 Insane, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for another year of giving up your free time for our favorite game!

We really don't deserve y'all!

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you to the entire team for your long hours to keep this dream alive!
    -CFC- Designs and Weapons in the NIKA Marketplace, Naboo 6037 5864
    Drop off vendor "-CFC- Greeter"

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Amazing work team!!!! The Soon(TM) really does feel soon!! cant wait for what 2023 will bring and starting fresh with you all on a official 1.0 server!

Remember there are thousands of us who really, really appreciate what you do! Its mind-blowing stuff that a game has pretty much been recreated from scratch 20 years later!
    Praxi Starwalker
    Bria Server
    'RFR' - Rebel Force Recon
    'SOH' -Soldiers of Honour

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This EOY update actually makes me a little sad. Lordkator’s statement in conjunction with how concise the update is really presents the feeling of burnout proliferating the development team. It’s really unfortunate to see after watching the project take off from inception 18 years ago. The EOY update used to be filled with so much optimism, and this one really carried of vibe of “we’re tired.” All of that said, I myself, along with many others, appreciate all of the hours that you all in development have donated. I know our appreciations hardly go as far as the paychecks that all of you rightfully deserve for your efforts over the years. But please know this, your work isn’t thankless and unnoticed. You have our support, till the end.

Developer
    Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by MNK925 View Post
    This EOY update actually makes me a little sad. Lordkator’s statement in conjunction with how concise the update is really presents the feeling of burnout proliferating the development team. It’s really unfortunate to see after watching the project take off from inception 18 years ago. The EOY update used to be filled with so much optimism, and this one really carried of vibe of “we’re tired.” All of that said, I myself, along with many others, appreciate all of the hours that you all in development have donated. I know our appreciations hardly go as far as the paychecks that all of you rightfully deserve for your efforts over the years. But please know this, your work isn’t thankless and unnoticed. You have our support, till the end.

Yes, it is hard to hide that 2022 has been a tough year, however it also has allowed us to glimpse a near complete pre-cu experience. We appreciate those in the community that appreciate us! It is not always that way and we understand that not everyone will always be pleased with our decisions and it takes its toll on the staff because we all do this voluntarily, though we still power through it. The goal is still clear and 1.0 completion will happen.

On a much lighter note, some fun things are coming with the changes to regions and spawning. This includes proper regional spawning, better method of spawning lairs in the world, as well as the missing in game named regions. The spawn groups have undergone drastic changes, which will make the game feel and look more like live. Regions are on prime now for testing and are nearly ready for their run on Finalizer. This was one of the big major steps to complete for the prep for a bug killing drive to towards 1.0. Once we can reach that goal and call it complete, we can start focusing and deciding what post 1.0 will consist of and be able to focus on new things for the game instead of the 1.0 goal. Finalizer has seem some new stuff over this last year, but those were only some of the things we could implement without client changes and keeping focus on the goal.

I also figured I would share some videos from this year that I recorded or was a part of:

Hakry
    Developer

Hakry@SWGEmu.com | Code Commits
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakry View Post
    Yes, it is hard to hide that 2022 has been a tough year, however it also has allowed us to glimpse a near complete pre-cu experience. We appreciate those in the community that appreciate us! It is not always that way and we understand that not everyone will always be pleased with our decisions and it takes its toll on the staff because we all do this voluntarily, though we still power through it. The goal is still clear and 1.0 completion will happen.

On a much lighter note, some fun things are coming with the changes to regions and spawning. This includes proper regional spawning, better method of spawning lairs in the world, as well as the missing in game named regions. The spawn groups have undergone drastic changes, which will make the game feel and look more like live. Regions are on prime now for testing and are nearly ready for their run on Finalizer. This was one of the big major steps to complete for the prep for a bug killing drive to towards 1.0. Once we can reach that goal and call it complete, we can start focusing and deciding what post 1.0 will consist of and be able to focus on new things for the game instead of the 1.0 goal. Finalizer has seem some new stuff over this last year, but those were only some of the things we could implement without client changes and keeping focus on the goal.

I also figured I would share some videos from this year that I recorded or was a part of:

This is impressive stuffy Hakry!! Im loving the guild enhancements and world bosses!
    Praxi Starwalker
    Bria Server
    'RFR' - Rebel Force Recon
    'SOH' -Soldiers of Honour

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Happy New Year! Can't wait to see what's in store for 2023 myself.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Cheers guys!
    Chebalis - Master Carbineer
    Chebanger - Master Combat Medic

Veteran
    Play Stats
    256h last 30d
    Cheers to you all!!! Hope my brain surgery can handle it.... 0_o ... and THANK YOU VERY MUCH...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    This server is for us all to try and finish this game so you can have a server to play, hopefully with me far away from here.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Congrats on putting V1.0 on the horizon. It's been almost a whole human generation since I first heard of the Emu (I was in high school at the time, so about half a lifetime ago; though my creation date says more around college, so maybe I'm old enough to start experiencing brain memory errors ). I'm especially excited for space and Jump to Lightspeed. Right now, all I want is to fly around with all those X-Wing and A-Wing sounds and such.

I said it way back, and I'll say it again: I can only wish I could be of more help. But understandably, I'm not a good fit, and I do not plan on reopening that ancient wound. That said, if there is a way to aid (that does not involve money), you know how to summon me.

Lordkator I can relate to personally. Over the past couple years, I've put together a prototype hobbyist video game (on top of other real-life pursuits all with null results), and seeing 99% void with 1% bully shenanigans emphasizes the cynicism of having dreams shattered. Because when you say "what it's like to volunteer literally 100's of hours of your life and get nothing in return while also being told you're a moron", I've been there, done that, and let me tell you, I've been called far nastier things than a moron. If possible, you and I can get drinks over how hard life has bummed us down. Remember, everyone is suffering, at least a little.
    (Beside the point, but given the metrics posted on this same thread, claiming you "get nothing in return" is objectively false. You get the privilege of resurrecting an MMO, with the Star Wars brand, upheld by upwards of a thousand passionate fans, and not shut down over painful lawsuits or worse. My game on Steam? Even without the metrics to cite, not even my family and friends inquire about it! That's how absolute my void tends to be. That's more in line with "get nothing in return".)

Keep up the hard work!
    Last edited by Jay Forerunner; 03-09-2023 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information