Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coming Changes to BH/Jedi

Play Stats
    Inactive

Coming Changes to BH/Jedi

Coming Changes to BH/Jedi

02/01/2022
    The SWGEmu Team

There is a lot of speculation going on regarding two commits that have been pushed to gerrit. Both commits are what we refer to as "two way doors," which means they can easily be toggled once they go live. So I would like to break down the commits a bit so they are easier to understand for all, as well as a change to the ToS regarding Jedi and Visibility.

First of all Jedi have fallen under a ToS rule when it comes to visibility for a long period of time. That is as follows:

4.1.3 Phishing is defined as deliberately and persistently wandering into the "visibility radius” of a Jedi to force them onto BH terminals. That said, the galaxy’s currently a dangerous place for a Jedi and they can’t expect to be in one location for long without attracting attention.

This has given Jedi an unbalanced amount of protection when it comes to their visibility. We are going to remove and/or revise this policy because part of playing a Jedi is the fact that you can get visibility and land on the Bounty Hunter Terminals. With that being said there are still rules in place for harassment for all players and should be followed.

The proposed changes:

[Added] Config option to anonymize jedi missions on bounty hunter boards
    • With the AnonymousBountyTerminals configuration enabled the missions will not show the name of the player directly on the terminals when the mission is listed.
    [Changed] Mission rewards to anonymous Jedi missions to static amounts with additional bonus credits upon completion based on target difficulty
    • Payouts are listed as a static amount and the remainder of the payout based on mission difficulty will be given as a bonus upon completion of the bounty mission.
    [Added] Additional message to seeker droids with target name if missions are anonymous
    • The name of the player Jedi will be given once a Seeker Droid has found the target

Example:

[added] Config variable to allow for custom bounty mission expiration time
    • Currently player bounty missions can be held for 48 hours before they expire. We are reducing that amount of time to 24 hours. This is in order to prevent friendly BHs from holding a Jedis mission so they cannot be hunted by those that may wish to see the contract carried out.
    [added] config option to disable visibility generated from group members
    • With this change Jedi will not gain visibility from players that they are grouped with. However, they are still open to gain visibility from all other players and NPC's.
    Other issues we are actively looking into:

Pulling AI into a private structure
    • This is a violation of the ToS. Additionally, we will implement a check to prevent AI from following a target into a privately owned structure.
    Jedi in Private Houses Being Listed on Bounty Hunter Terminals
    • We are aware that it can be frustrating for our hunters around the galaxy to pull a mission, track and find their target is sitting AFK in a private structure. So we are going to look to implement a method that if a Jedi is AFK in a private structure they will not be listed on the Bounty Hunter Terminals. When the Jedi exits the structure, their mission will again be listed on the terminals.

~The SWGEmu Team
    Last edited by Lolindir; 02-01-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I have no issues with this. Seems reasonable.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Am i missing something here? I thought this post was suppose to be about how we got to this point. Like why are these changes happening? I would hope based on the community feedback that has already happened today you will not be pushing this to Finalizer without really thinking who this is affecting. As for the change to pulling the mobs inside a house- those players should be banned, as it is a violation of TOS.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the clarification, Lolindir. I gotta ask about the AFK Jedi in houses thing. I know they do it to bleed off VIS once they have it. Is there a way to stop that bleed once they're in houses? This just seems like a fairly blatant abuse of one game mechanic (private houses) to avoid another (consequences of gaining VIS).

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This is a terrible idea and have no idea we're these ideas came from or who put them in the queue, but how is this even needed? The only people who want group Jedis are the same people who farm the Acklay every night.

No reason not to be a Jedi now ladies and gents, since you can group with three other Jedi and run the game. This is the new ADK except Jedis don't have to wear armor
    Drop off Below!
    @Theed -4214 5385 Z-Inc Premium Droids vendor

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We're in a taxi cab, and the driver just started driving without telling us where he's going. Just let me know if this is going to continue so I can roll my BH to Jedi.
    Thanks.
    CakeFarts Industries, Inc.
    SouthWest of Kaadara Naboo- /way 4855 6324 | BUY OR SELL

Play Stats
    35h last 30d

Here's a video from pre-cu Eclipse server with the old GTEF Jedi/BH system. I understand there are limitations on what can be merged right now however this is what would be the best balance for both sides. (BH side wins in vid btw)

Until then the current system seems like a temporary fix, people need to relax for a change.
    <JuDGE> Guild Leader | First SWGEmu Jedi Knight & Rank 11 Jedi Council Leader

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This just seems like another needless nerf against BHs. Jedi had phases reduced to 1 week, they have anti-vis policies (which seem to be maybe under review?), no penalties for AFKing in houses / purposely trolling BHs, etc. Now there is no way to tell how strong a Jedi is when hunting them, who you are hunting, and they now also are going to dominate group content. Seems like the best option is just for everyone to roll Jedi at this point...at least I don't see any negatives you get for deciding to become one.

Developer
    Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by djpwnz View Post
    Am i missing something here? I thought this post was suppose to be about how we got to this point. Like why are these changes happening? I would hope based on the community feedback that has already happened today you will not be pushing this to Finalizer without really thinking who this is affecting. As for the change to pulling the mobs inside a house- those players should be banned, as it is a violation of TOS.
    Part of the issue is players have other players hold their bounty missions for 48 hours so they cannot get hunted. This is harder to do on Finalizer due to less characters available to each player, but still possible.

As for AI in private structure: It is for sure a ToS violation and they should be reported. All we will be doing is making it not possible for the AI to enter as an extra measure.

Quote Originally Posted by SoUncool View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Lolindir. I gotta ask about the AFK Jedi in houses thing. I know they do it to bleed off VIS once they have it. Is there a way to stop that bleed once they're in houses? This just seems like a fairly blatant abuse of one game mechanic (private houses) to avoid another (consequences of gaining VIS).
    The visibility bleed of is really slow and is earned at a much faster rate. Jedi do not AFK in houses to bleed of visibility. They AFK in houses so BHs do not want to pull their missions ever cause they are usually known for being a target that AFKs in a private house. This was a big issue on Basilisk and there were Jedi that Bounty Hunters ignored because it was a waste of time to even track them.

Quote Originally Posted by franklin920 View Post
    This is a terrible idea and have no idea we're these ideas came from or who put them in the queue, but how is this even needed? The only people who want group Jedis are the same people who farm the Acklay every night.

No reason not to be a Jedi now ladies and gents, since you can group with three other Jedi and run the game. This is the new ADK except Jedis don't have to wear armor

You may be misunderstanding the group visibility change. Jedi will only not receive visibility from the members of their group. Any other players or NPCs that are near them will still give visibility. So that means all of the other NPCs and players in the Geo cave. Not to mention, none of these changes were brought about by any certain groups of players. So that is just rumor mill and should be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkar View Post
    This just seems like another needless nerf against BHs. Jedi had phases reduced to 1 week, they have anti-vis policies (which seem to be maybe under review?), no penalties for AFKing in houses / purposely trolling BHs, etc. Now there is no way to tell how strong a Jedi is when hunting them, who you are hunting, and they now also are going to dominate group content. Seems like the best option is just for everyone to roll Jedi at this point...at least I don't see any negatives you get for deciding to become one.

I am not sure if you did not read the whole post or misunderstanding it.
    • The very beginning of the post mentions the removal/change of the anti-visibility policies.
    • The end of the post says we are making so Jedi AFKing on Houses will not list on the terminals, so Bounty Hunters do not waste time hunting targets AFK in a house. They can log out and bleed visibility, they stay online in houses to troll Bounty Hunters.
    • Jedi was not changed as it comes to group content? I am not sure where you have pulled that one from. They will still receive visibility from EVERY player and NPC that is not in their group.
    Last edited by Lolindir; 02-02-2022 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Double post
    Hakry
    Developer

Hakry@SWGEmu.com | Code Commits
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Removal of phishing from ToS is great.

If BH missions are anonymous should consider having the mission names/creator/number (something) a constant for all BHs on the terminal so they can still engage in group hunts.

I see the screenshot says "rebel Jedi". Was that added by SWGEmu? If so, then it is a good change. Perhaps also some other clarifications, like "Rebel Jedi Knight" or "Imperial Jedi Padawan" etc. Could do a check vs. The targets force progression boxes. This would make it so bounty hunters who do want a challenge do not accidentally pull a fledgling Jedi Padawan mission, when in reality they wanted to fight a Jedi Master etc.
    Last edited by dedaskalion; 02-01-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakry View Post

The visibility bleed of is really slow and is earned at a much faster rate. Jedi do not AFK in houses to bleed of visibility. They AFK in houses so BHs do not want to pull their missions ever cause they are usually known for being a target that AFKs in a private house. This was a big issue on Basilisk and there were Jedi that Bounty Hunters ignored because it was a waste of time to even track them.
    Thanks for clarification. Is there any plan to *stop* the "gonna be logged in and AFK in my house forever" behavior? Even taking them off the terminals while they're in a private structure doesn't seem like that much of a great fix, tbh. It just rewards the behavior. Which, again, seems somewhat exploitative by using one game mechanic to bypass another.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by SoUncool View Post
    Thanks for clarification. Is there any plan to *stop* the "gonna be logged in and AFK in my house forever" behavior? Even taking them off the terminals while they're in a private structure doesn't seem like that much of a great fix, tbh. It just rewards the behavior. Which, again, seems somewhat exploitative by using one game mechanic to bypass another.
    They can no longer troll BHs and hopefully we will be able to stop the bleeding of vis, so they will not be able to do that AFK, but have to actually log off, or play the game to get vis to lessen.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakry View Post
    I am not sure if you did not read the whole post or misunderstanding it.
    • The very beginning of the post mentions the removal/change of the anti-visibility policies.
    • The end of the post says we are making so Jedi AFKing on Houses will not list on the terminals, so Bounty Hunters do not waste time hunting targets AFK in a house. They can log out and bleed visibility, they stay online in houses to troll Bounty Hunters.
    • Jedi was not changed as it comes to group content? I am not sure where you have pulled that one from. They will still receive visibility from EVERY player and NPC that is not in their group.
    No I read the post pretty clearly...

-The very beginning of the post mentions the removal/change of the anti-visibility policies.
    It states "We are going to remove and/or revise this policy". I am curious to see what it gets revised to. Since it could still benefit the Jedi heavily.

-The end of the post says we are making so Jedi AFKing on Houses will not list on the terminals, so Bounty Hunters do not waste time hunting targets AFK in a house. They can log out and bleed visibility, they stay online in houses to troll Bounty Hunters.
    "So we are going to look to implement a method" to me this reads as "They will troll you until this gets implemented, which we do not know how long it will take to do so." I have no issues with the 2nd part, you are all volunteers and things take time. However if the fix for the afk doesn't go in at the same time as everything else, then it just is more time that Jedi troll BHs with the benefit of we can't even ignore the ones that we know are purposely trolls.

-Jedi was not changed as it comes to group content? I am not sure where you have pulled that one from. They will still receive visibility from EVERY player and NPC that is not in their group.
    It states "With this change Jedi will not gain visibility from players that they are grouped with. However, they are still open to gain visibility from all other players and NPC's." So now it is just going to be full jedi groups doing end game content. I mean just being in a large party that isn't giving them Vis is just making them hone in on end game group content as the "correct" class to be. Sure they will get it from a NPC, but how much vis does a krayt dragon give? Or any number of other end game creatures.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Appreciate it. Hopefully the small fix is all that's needed. Drastic changes aren't always the best solutions, etc.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    +1 these are sensible changes and I look forward to seeing how people take to it. Better to try and improve things than do nothing.
    Finalizer:
    IGN: Tritonius
    Tri's Bazaar: Corellia, South Of Coronet -254, -5677
    12 Point Architect / 135 Assembly

Closed Thread

Thread Information