Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Play-Test Server Survey Results

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive

New Play-Test Server Survey Results

The team decided to run an in-game survey about launching a new fresh server in response to community discussions.

The survey ran from 12/04 to 12/11, the answers randomized in position, and we tested many macros to ensure they couldn't "accidentally" vote.

In-game, the survey looked like this:

The raw results of the survey are:

Votes % Answer
    382 36% I'd play on Basilisk and the new server.
    261 25% I'd play only on the new server.
    193 18% Not sure what I'd do.
    159 15% I'd only play on Basilisk.
    48 4% Don't care.
    1043 100% TOTAL

But of course, everyone like's to see more data:

Code:
    +-------+-----------+---------+
    | Voted | Abstained | % Voted |
    |  1043 |        16 |      98 |
    And here's a breakdown by days played on Basilisk this year:

Code:
    +------------------+------+-----------------+----------+---------------+-----------+----------+----------------+
    | days_played_2021 | both | only_new_server | not_sure | only_basilisk | dont_care | avg_days | avg_hrs_played |
    +------------------+------+-----------------+----------+---------------+-----------+----------+----------------+
    | 0-29             |   18 |              22 |       12 |             5 |         7 |        5 |             30 |
    | 30-59            |   23 |               9 |       11 |             5 |         0 |       26 |            190 |
    | 60-89            |   14 |               7 |       11 |            12 |         2 |       61 |            723 |
    | 90-119           |   12 |               9 |        5 |             2 |         3 |       89 |            844 |
    | 120-149          |    9 |               7 |        6 |             5 |         0 |      120 |           1058 |
    | 150-179          |   11 |               2 |        5 |             8 |         1 |      149 |           2269 |
    | 180-209          |   12 |               7 |        6 |             3 |         0 |      181 |           1409 |
    | 210-239          |    7 |               9 |        5 |             3 |         0 |      213 |           1481 |
    | 240-269          |   11 |              13 |       11 |             6 |         0 |      239 |           1974 |
    | 270-299          |   18 |              15 |        3 |             5 |         2 |      269 |           1826 |
    | 300-329          |   28 |              20 |        8 |             8 |         3 |      301 |           1216 |
    | 330-359          |  198 |              92 |      100 |            93 |        22 |      339 |           3918 |
    | TOTAL            |  382 |             261 |      193 |           159 |        48 |      228 |           2354 |
    NOTE 1: avg_days is calendar time, avg_hrs_played is based on login-logout times (session time)
    NOTE 2: Columns don't add perfectly due to how they were bucketed, the actual total is used here for comparison.
    I already hear the visual learners saying, "But I want pretty charts!"

Here's what voting looked like over time:

Here are the votes per day:

An area chart:

And for the holidays, everyone loves pie!

Given the above, we've decided to move forward with a new empty server; check out the detailed Q&A here: Q & A for Survey/New Server

We're very excited to engage the community in this way. We've always planned to be more interactive with the community as we near the 1.0 milestone.

This is the first in many steps we see to keep the dialog going while we also pound away at the code and testing needed to move us ever forward!

PS: Before you ask, we validated the data, only one vote per account even if you saw the dialog box multiple times, and we checked for things like ballot stuffing from the same range of IPs. And as you can see above, we also looked at how many people "just dropped by to vote" vs. the "active" player base on Basilisk!
    Last edited by lordkator; 12-12-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: fixed bad link
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    173h last 30d
    I really appreciated seeing the totals, especially broken down by "days_played_2021". Thank you.
    In-game Names & Drop-off Location:
    Nehow (Chef) & Wohen (???)
    Fat Pharple Foods (Naboo: 5855, 5856) ~NIKA~ *New Location*

Play Stats
    Inactive

Finalizer

Thank you!
    Sabain (Chef)
    <Mean*Cuisine>
    Insane City, Naboo -4315 5363
    Finalizer Server

Play Stats
    Inactive
    thank you LK for the breakdown....really interesting especially around the days played!
    Praxi Starwalker
    Bria Server
    'RFR' - Rebel Force Recon
    'SOH' -Soldiers of Honour

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Anyone else not have permissions to the Q&A link?

Very exciting stuff!

edit: found the link
    Last edited by Tyrenio; 12-12-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Armor + Spice by Wombo and dropoff: West Eisley Bazaar Mall (2200 -4753)

Play Stats
    202h last 30d
    Very nice!

While I voted to play on both, since I had no idea what the starting constraints on the new server might entail, with this setup I will mostly play on Finalizer. My wishy-washiness may not be typical, and I am not sure another poll would be needed. The use stats after launch will tell the tale.
    neutrineaux

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You should have given the additional server details that you listed on the main page BEFORE the survey. it wouldve changed the results im sure.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by RecksRacer View Post
    You should have given the additional server details that you listed on the main page BEFORE the survey. it wouldve changed the results im sure.
    people can vote with thier play time and not log into the new server then. SWGEMU has given you the choice. people can remain on basilisk if they wish
    Last edited by jmx; 12-13-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jmx View Post
    people can vote with thier play time and not log into the new server then. SWGEMU has given you the choice. people can remain on basilisk if they wish
    I think the point is that people may prefer certain changes not be made, whilst still getting a fresh server.

Or at the very least, a vote for what changes be implemented rather than bending to a small vocal groups desires.

Regardless of what changes happen, you'll never please everyone so I guess it's just a rock and a hard place scenario.
    Katsa - TKM/Master Ranger | Biznatch - Currently Training
    Reasonable Resources (Animal) located south of Coronet -185 -5880

Play Stats
    202h last 30d
    I was figuring more people might have voted for 100% Finalizer.
    neutrineaux

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsa View Post
    I think the point is that people may prefer certain changes not be made, whilst still getting a fresh server.

Or at the very least, a vote for what changes be implemented rather than bending to a small vocal groups desires.

Regardless of what changes happen, you'll never please everyone so I guess it's just a rock and a hard place scenario.
    the new server is a reversion back to the pure times of pre cu. None of this adk nonsense that was added just ebfore the CU. there is nothing controversial .

Play Stats
    99h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrineaux View Post
    I was figuring more people might have voted for 100% Finalizer.
    Same. I've been a lurker for a long time and not a dedicated player, so I also knew I would be in the minority slightly. I think in theory I would've said a new server wouldn't make much of a difference to me, but seeing it come up on an in-game survey made me care a bit more about the outcome than I had originally anticipated.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We didn't bend to the will of any group, whether they be vocal, non-vocal, majority, or minority.

We look at all suggestions, consider the impact of the changes on things from a comprehensive level, and then make decisions as a team.

We will please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.
    Farelli
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to Report Bugs | How to Search Bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Wow that was extensive, thanks homies!!
    "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Farelli View Post
    We didn't bend to the will of any group, whether they be vocal, non-vocal, majority, or minority.

We look at all suggestions, consider the impact of the changes on things from a comprehensive level, and then make decisions as a team.

We will please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.
    8% of the registered accounts visit the forums. Isn't that the statistic that the decision to do an in game vote was based off? Am I missing where the rest of the suggestions came from?

Perhaps and in game vote on the new server (when launched) to get a more accurate representation for the desired/required changes would offer a more balanced result?

Personally, I can live without and ADK, and certainly without multiples, but I can also see the case for allowing at least one locked per account, preferably able to be equipped by either character. Admittedly facilitating this could be tricky.

I can't remember when these were implemented into Live, however I assume it was pre 14.1 otherwise they never would have been introduced on Basilisk, so removing them entirely (or at least potentially at this stage) seems a strange way to go.
    Katsa - TKM/Master Ranger | Biznatch - Currently Training
    Reasonable Resources (Animal) located south of Coronet -185 -5880

Closed Thread

Thread Information