Closed Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Clone Wars, The Exploit

Play Stats
    61h last 30d
    Thanks, I was not sure on that point.
    Enmor Solusar \ Hatchi Rejan on Finalizer Former toons on bas: Enmor/ Hatchi Atlante/ Wenmor/ Endore/ Shaamus/ Metroid.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by irixgero View Post
    I am amazed by how much you knew about this, and never reported it.
    To be fair mezz "knows" everything about everything.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    QFE

This thread is about duping and the effect that has on us all, not FRS, forum pvp, or anything other you wish to post about.

Will items made with duped resources be deleted from game? Including their contents?

I ask because what if someone made a large run of houses / backpacks for vendor sale with duped resources, obviously not knowing they're duped and these items are deleted along with their contents?

Obviously this is a big WHAT IF, yes i know. why would anyone use a resource worthy of being duped on houses, but you'd be surprised what i find people use SB resources for so it could very well have happened.

Just saying this could turn 60k items into 600k items because houses/backpacks poof. So just asking for clarification because i've seen people talk about anything made with duped resources will poof but i so no verification from staff on this.

I am not arguing that removing duped items is nessecary or that items made with duped components be removed, But duped resources? thats awful broad and could hit SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many things. especially if it hits someones backpacks or houses
    Last edited by Senolin; 07-18-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Play Stats
    61h last 30d
    My two cents:

I tried playing on Bloodfin (emu) server back when I first moved to Boston. Academic life was so demanding that I didn't feel I could carry on with SWGEMU (basilik predecessor, Liberator, and its predecessor). In the end I played Bloodfin for less than 2 hours. SWGemu v Bloodfin back then was: Community Time (<3) v Fame and Credits. And I've enjoyed Basilik since the day I first login into the project. (from my memories, I was still a Bachelor Student ( somewhere between 2008-2011) playing on Tatooine. I think Tatooine, and some cities were the only place you could pop.

We are now confronted with a sad true: some players wanted to exploit, cheat, at the cost of their own real life money, to gain a reputation(?) in our communities. As a romantic person I feel sad, and even more sad.
    However I'm glad look at the immense majority of the player base. They know, they keep in their minds that playing SWG is about communities, help, and genuine generosity valued in time, not credits.
    A slow but healthy path to helping each other in virtual worlds.

We knew since Live ($ř€), that engaging into competitive PVP or Competitive PVE, could drive new players out of the game. The game mechanics are olds, but they cannot be blamed. The fault most often falls on a minority of players who:
    1) know nothing of Galaxies' spirit (sandbox, Star Wars, newbies helpers, slow learning curve driving to enjoyment, and mostly shared enjoyment within a group or a guild. Community Enjoyment.
    However a minority knowing nothing of what make SWG special, worth saving. They want to change it to be more like the Bloodfin server emulator. A server where everything was easy, and even super easy once you knew the unwritten rules. (I do hope this server changed since back then.... SWG don't need a Queen lol)
    2) As a minority, they feel and look like they have magical powers, they cast spells against disobedient newbies who wanted to experience the slow learning curve, newbies who would have stick to Basilik, but since they watched these individuals, they left us. Because we, as a majority, failed to get to them first. (probably because we were enjoying our communities so much. Moreover we were scared to recruit a corrupted player, and also we became suspicious of newbies out of the fear they would leave our community/guild after three months. For that we were valuing time as a currency and not credits.) Managing Real Life and a potential Virtual life is normally easy (even a bliss) when you know what your heart drives for.
    3) The minority is (plausibly) able to barely-corrupt (But never completely), or slowly drive to the shadow side, certain of the most helpful newbie helper, 99% of the time because our time benefactors wanted to help more that they should be able to (do they want to compete with this minority of corrupted users. ). This is about to me all about Community Time v Community Fame&Credits.

This game was recreated for the same reason Ryzom is still alive. Its worth it when you play it the way its meant to be played (your way). But lack of new content, like JtL :'( may drive many players to want to try new things and slowly forget the reason that led them to play this game.

But I'm convinced that Star Wars Galaxies will become even more enjoyable now that we have realized that. We are taking the right path.
    Enmor Solusar \ Hatchi Rejan on Finalizer Former toons on bas: Enmor/ Hatchi Atlante/ Wenmor/ Endore/ Shaamus/ Metroid.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Senolin View Post
    Will items made with duped resources be deleted from game? Including their contents?

I ask because what if someone made a large run of houses / backpacks for vendor sale with duped resources, obviously not knowing they're duped and these items are deleted along with their contents?

Obviously this is a big WHAT IF, yes i know. why would anyone use a resource worthy of being duped on houses, but you'd be surprised what i find people use SB resources for so it could very well have happened.

Just saying this could turn 60k items into 600k items because houses/backpacks poof. So just asking for clarification because i've seen people talk about anything made with duped resources will poof but i so no verification from staff on this.

I am not arguing that removing duped items is nessecary or that items made with duped components be removed, But duped resources? thats awful broad and could hit SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Many things. especially if it hits someones backpacks or houses
    A few things had to happen first. We had to get the main guys banned first of all, then we made the announcement, because we felt the community needed to know what was going on. That is where we are now. Moving forward, we are still investigating. Some still reach out to us, others we find our self.

As to how we will handle the duped items. We are working on that part. We really do not want to harm our community with doing too much. We really feel that this is a delicate issue, that already is a disaster and we don't wish to make it worse, by going about it the wrong way. When we do have a course of action, code has to be made, so we are still a little off from when the community will actually see the result. We will inform the community when we are ready to move forward, as we wish to be as transparent as possible about this.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    283h last 30d
    Not just houses and backpacks with items in it, but if its a GH or merchant tent or any other building with vendors in them that would really be unfortunate as well as we all feel “a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of [vendor] voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced” taking all their items with them.....

Oh this is dire indeed......
    Nika Marketplace, Naboo 5915, 5915
    Dropoff 5900, 5858 Nika Resource Vndr
    Forum
    Discord

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    A few things had to happen first. We had to get the main guys banned first of all, then we made the announcement, because we felt the community needed to know what was going on. That is where we are now. Moving forward, we are still investigating. Some still reach out to us, others we find our self.

As to how we will handle the duped items. We are working on that part. We really do not want to harm our community with doing too much. We really feel that this is a delicate issue, that already is a disaster and we don't wish to make it worse, by going about it the wrong way. When we do have a course of action, code has to be made, so we are still a little off from when the community will actually see the result. We will inform the community when we are ready to move forward, as we wish to be as transparent as possible about this.
    Thank you very much for the info and everything you guys do.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Please tell me that these people won't be unbanned in 1.0, right?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This whole duping thing is a total clusterf***

Imagine you farmed days for all things to craft your own perfect armor or weapon. After many tries you finally got the perfect slice. F*** the metal you used was a duped resource you bought off some vendor and you had no idea it was duped.
    Drop off at 3521 -5596 Tatooine (South Eisley mall vendor Hot Drops)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I have a very limited understanding of the code, but I will be very surprised if they are able to implement some tool that can scan all pre-existing items in the database for what resources they were crafted with. Perhaps, going forward, that sort of stuff could be logged... but I don't think stuff like that has been tracked this entire time.

This is only my speculation. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    I have a very limited understanding of the code, but I will be very surprised if they are able to implement some tool that can scan all pre-existing items in the database for what resources they were crafted with. Perhaps, going forward, that sort of stuff could be logged... but I don't think stuff like that has been tracked this entire time.

This is only my speculation. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.
    That is why I say its a clusterF... A lot of work for Devs and CSR. Players are uncertain if they are affected. Will they lose items. When this is over you need to try to arrange a Q and A with LordKator, he said he could write a novel about the event. A lot of people are curious.
    Drop off at 3521 -5596 Tatooine (South Eisley mall vendor Hot Drops)

Play Stats
    61h last 30d
    Unfortunately I can already see the impact of this on the gen chat.
    Players are starting to defer big purchases until the server is clean.

Still its a good time to work on improving our skills rather than buys more expansive equipment!

Play Stats
    283h last 30d
    if you used a duped item to get xp will the xp go away as well? food for thought.....
    Nika Marketplace, Naboo 5915, 5915
    Dropoff 5900, 5858 Nika Resource Vndr
    Forum
    Discord

Retired SWGEmu CSR
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Like I said, WIPE the server. Let everyone start over on an even foot. If we get 1-2 years from a clean server before 1.0 it would be a blessing.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by oMek View Post
    Like I said, WIPE the server. Let everyone start over on an even foot. If we get 1-2 years from a clean server before 1.0 it would be a blessing.

1.0 won't be here for some time....you are going to have to wait for suncrusher 2009 to get your 1.0 wipe..

Closed Thread

Thread Information