Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: VPNs and our services

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I like to wake up with one character alreday connected and when I'm trying to log the second "VPN Denied" may be a ghost during night have done something !!!
    Ticket submited !
    Best bad idea of the year.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Your IP changed, I can see it on the forums. Whatever you're using to login keeps changing your IP.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems but I cannot express how many multi's we were dealing with, it was nuts, now this has allowed us to really clean up the multi's...
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    Your IP changed, I can see it on the forums. Whatever you're using to login keeps changing your IP.
    I think you are talking about: Internet Providers and DHCP (may be, I'm not a computer Pro)
    I never check my IP, I don't care about IP. I'm using internet, How it works is far away from me.
    I'm using swg client to login ... There is an other way ???

I can understand you want to fight against Multi accounts, it's a swgemu choice, I respect it! But I was happy with my 4 accounts in 2004.
    I don't think Multi is the problem, the free access to the game is the real problem. But that's another debate.

Play Stats
    245h last 30d
    "Just today I have searched a bunch more and banned 19 of the accounts for multiple accounts. last month i banned 84 accounts in one day."

Also if I felt the fist of this checks by my own i think its good thing your doing. I am no expert for internet nor computer and also if I would never use a second account I allways play with some fear that there is something what i cant prevent or simply did not know what leads to a ban.

For example: Recently I change my inet provider to a big player in my country. The provider has a service that is called "wlan to go" what is normally activated by default if you make contract with him and use his hardware. In this case a second "public" wlan will be activated on your router what.. long story short ...will lead to a ban if someone uses this to log in SWG.
    As I use my own hardware to connect I never activated this. Well... this should also be a hint for other players maybe cheking if this may be a problem for them.

Other case
    There are internet provider that use privat IP for the user and appear with a common external IP (for example some provider that offer inet via LTE or similar). Also in this case total different players local seperated from each other may appear as multiple account.
    Last edited by Jeremai; 01-22-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I changed nothing to my internet connections and I get the famous warning message today when I tryed to login.
    I'm not using a VPN, I made a ticket asking them to give my access back.
    I will try to login tomorrow.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Finally I can login today ...

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rease View Post
    I like to wake up with one character alreday connected and when I'm trying to log the second "VPN Denied" may be a ghost during night have done something !!!
    Ticket submited !
    Best bad idea of the year.
    I know I'm kinda late on this. But you said you logged in via hotel wifi, mobile hotspot wifi and your home wifi. These will all change your ip address and the system will flag you. At least to my understanding

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Senolin View Post
    I know I'm kinda late on this. But you said you logged in via hotel wifi, mobile hotspot wifi and your home wifi. These will all change your ip address and the system will flag you. At least to my understanding
    My ISP provide a dynamic IP. I asked some friend to check, all of them in France, cambodge and Japan have DynIP.

The hotel in Singapour is using a VPN or not. Some providers may be classified as VPN without being one (Like Shadow.tech or my hotel using a Provider classified as VPN/proxy).
    I asked a friend (Thx HQbuffs), there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false positive. But I trust the staff to find a way, I never doubt, they are good.

My puropose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.

I can't wait to see suncrusher and move on.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    ...there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false-positive...
    We have 5,600 unique IP logins every 24 hours, less than 0.1% are flagged as VPN.

VPN detection using machine learning (AI) is a lot more robust than you think. You're an edge case and we've already explained to you how to address it.

My purpose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.
    This IS about Freedom, the freedom to enjoy a FREE GAME as it was designed and not have it abused by ***hats who think it's funny to have 27 accounts (270 Characters) and whack the economy out of shape.

This VPN system will be in place for the post 1.0 server, its the whole reason we're doing this now, we're testing at scale so our official server can be as clean as possible.

It'll never be perfect but saying we shouldn't police it because 0.1% of the people will have blocked it not a reasonable argument. Should we stop banning people for breaking the TOS because it's a small percentage of the overall population?

If you want freedom, you have it, the entire project is open source (sans our detection tools) and you can setup a server yourself tomorrow and invite as many people as you want and run zero VPN detection. You'll get awesome numbers of players and three humans.
    LordKator
    Developer

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    My ISP provide a dynamic IP. I asked some friend to check, all of them in France, cambodge and Japan have DynIP.

The hotel in Singapour is using a VPN or not. Some providers may be classified as VPN without being one (Like Shadow.tech or my hotel using a Provider classified as VPN/proxy).
    I asked a friend (Thx HQbuffs), there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false positive. But I trust the staff to find a way, I never doubt, they are good.

My puropose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.

Every ISP gives you dynamic IP unless you request and pay for static one. Dynamic usually only changes your last number in IP.

I think you are just mad, because you cant bot the **** out of this game anymore. We literally have someone in our guild playing from Thailand and he has no issues what so ever.

Even if you are legit getting screwed by this lordkators creation, it cleanses this project of cancer that is multi accounting. Next step is way to stop approved multi accounting, because the protocol in place right now is very very flawed. Hope the almighty lordaligator can fix that for us aswell.

I said it before and I'll say it again lordkator is exactly what this project needed.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrena View Post
    Every ISP gives you dynamic IP unless you request and pay for static one. Dynamic usually only changes your last number in IP.

I think you are just mad, because you cant bot the **** out of this game anymore. We literally have someone in our guild playing from Thailand and he has no issues what so ever.
    Mad for what? I still sell Janta buff to Docs, buisness never stop for me. So I'm not mad about IG situation, nothing really changed (Just guildmates are stoping months after months but I can't do nothing about that) !!! I don't understand what you said (sorry for my poor english skills again)
    I spent 3 wonderfull years IG. It's twice time to swgemu than swg Live so I just say thanks for that !

When I made my ticket, Swgemu support never said I didn't have a problem, they can see it. You missunderstand because you don't know all the story.
    I don't have issues to login from thailand, now.
    Unlike you, I donated every month to support the project and Yes the team is doing a great job.
    May be, there is other way to prevent multi: Like sms check or other ways I don't know because I'm a diving instructor retired, not a computer professionnal.

By the way, I see the same bots. But lately I'm not so much IG, so may be it's just in Datho outpost and in the other place they vanished.

Even if you are legit getting screwed by this lordkators creation, it cleanses this project of cancer that is multi accounting. Next step is way to stop approved multi accounting, because the protocol in place right now is very very flawed. Hope the almighty lordaligator can fix that for us aswell.

I said it before and I'll say it again lordkator is exactly what this project needed.
    "screwed" is a little rude, It's just unconfortable, when I'm travelling. At home everything is fine now (thanks for the help of the support team again).

@lordkator
    I'm sure you do your best. I never doubt about that.
    Like I reapeat again I would wish the dev team could have find another way. I'm not legit VPN multi-accounts !!!
    I'm sure managing "collateral damage" is easier than running after VPN multi accounts users. May be it's the best way for a clean server.
    Running a server, I don't have the skills and your patience

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Mad for what? I still sell Janta buff to Docs, buisness never stop for me. So I'm not mad about IG situation, nothing really changed (Just guildmates are stoping months after months but I can't do nothing about that) !!! I don't understand what you said (sorry for my poor english skills again)
    I spent 3 wonderfull years IG. It's twice time to swgemu than swg Live so I just say thanks for that !

When I made my ticket, Swgemu support never said I didn't have a problem, they can see it. You missunderstand because you don't know all the story.
    I don't have issues to login from thailand, now.
    Unlike you, I donated every month to support the project and Yes the team is doing a great job.
    May be, there is other way to prevent multi: Like sms check or other ways I don't know because I'm a diving instructor retired, not a computer professionnal.

By the way, I see the same bots. But lately I'm not so much IG, so may be it's just in Datho outpost and in the other place they vanished.

"screwed" is a little rude, It's just unconfortable, when I'm travelling. At home everything is fine now (thanks for the help of the support team again).

@lordkator
    I'm sure you do your best. I never doubt about that.
    Like I reapeat again I would wish the dev team could have find another way. I'm not legit VPN multi-accounts !!!
    I'm sure managing "collateral damage" is easier than running after VPN multi accounts users. May be it's the best way for a clean server.
    Running a server, I don't have the skills and your patience
    Ok people keep saying I dont donate... I donated in past this is not my first account (i asked niffer to close my previous one because I forgot logins, last played on liberator) I dont feel like donating now, because I really dont enjoy basilisk...but rest assured I'll donate atleast subscription value once 1.0 is released or basilisk wiped.

There are other means to prevent multi accounting, lordkators way is probably one of the most elegant ones out there.
    Last edited by lordkator; 02-01-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: inappropriate language

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you guys for all of your donated time, skill, and resources to getting and keeping up the servers. I have had a great experience playing except for the false VPN flags I get while at work. We have a firewall that I have configured to not block anything coming from my computer, but I *sometimes* get a message about using a VPN and against rules. I know our IP hasn't changed (Static 1GB from AT&T Business), and all of our outbound traffic shows as a single IP. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. I was able to get in this morning and just tried to login with a multiple instance and got the VPN message. I do play at home as well, so if you look at my logs, it will show that. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMW View Post
    Thank you guys for all of your donated time, skill, and resources to getting and keeping up the servers. I have had a great experience playing except for the false VPN flags I get while at work. We have a firewall that I have configured to not block anything coming from my computer, but I *sometimes* get a message about using a VPN and against rules. I know our IP hasn't changed (Static 1GB from AT&T Business), and all of our outbound traffic shows as a single IP. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. I was able to get in this morning and just tried to login with a multiple instance and got the VPN message. I do play at home as well, so if you look at my logs, it will show that. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!
    Please EVERYONE, work with support, this thread is not a place to get support on this issue.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I am not using VPN. Not at all. Not for anything. Never did.
    But I can not Login due to using VPN.
    How sure are you About detecting a VPN?

As I said, never even had VPN Software on my PC.

Closed Thread

Thread Information