Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: VPNs and our services

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Within minutes of the server coming back up after a restart earlier today, the IRIS Doctors and their accompanying Entertainers were all back up and running.

Will this be investigated? I dont believe for a second there are 6 individual people running these characters!
    DrNHS (ign)
    A Jack of all Trades, an Expert in None.
    Trade Vendor @ 2984 -5772; 1km outside Mos Eisley

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This change is absolutely based. Good work, guys.

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    This thread is about VPNs. Future ideas will have to wait, or be posted somewhere else.

I would feel sorry for people in cases like that, but we will not start with an on demand thing and have to check them. Then we are back at what we do now. You have no idea how much time some of us spend on this project, searching and banning. It is ridiculous. I'm soon at my limit of it and this can't come soon enough. Just today I have searched a bunch more and banned 19 of the accounts for multiple accounts. last month i banned 84 accounts in one day. I also had a record that day, one guy having 27 accounts. I hope people understand that we need to control this before we go to 1.0 and that means we will not allow VPNs. For the ones who can't or will not login to services without a VPN, I'm sorry, but then we are not the server for you. It will actually be a very little part of the community that only have VPN as an option.
    Man your a good Hunter however I disagree about this VPN policy
    My point about VPNs is that many legit people have to use it ,there is Chinese players here that requires it and CCP tries to lock them down , now the Emu will block them down from the free world ,and theres about 12 to 15 countries that censor the internet , I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.

remember that VPN is the only window to the free world for residents of those countries ,People are not the issue its there governments indoctrination to keep there populations as dumb as they can , people must see whats out there to reverse this trend

Last edited by Walking carpet; 11-11-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic167844_1.gif
    - - - - - - - -= www.nrnr.org =- - - - - - - -

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking carpet View Post
    I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.
    LOL
    You have to twist pretty hard to make a basic decision about fairness, server health, and following the rules into a racial topic.
    Last edited by hybridtheory; 11-11-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post
    LOL
    You have to twist pretty hard to make a basic decision about fairness, server health, and following the rules into a racial topic.
    Im far from racist If I had the powers I would eradicate censorship worldwide so the planet could live in synch
    by blocking VPNs your blocking whole countries
    just pretend you live in 1 of those countries and your a legit emu player , see a broader picture put yourself in there shoes a minute or 2
    Last edited by Walking carpet; 11-11-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.
    I am sure a proxy server or private network could be made in the future for these people so they can connect, however.....
    Trying to phrase the situation to make it appear as it could be a racial prejudice motivated issue is a ridiculous statement.
    Last edited by hybridtheory; 11-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post
    I am sure a proxy server or private network could be made in the future for these people so they can connect, however.....
    Trying to phrase the situation to make it appear as it could be a racial prejudice motivated issue is a ridiculous statement.
    No ,I think that the Emu staff dindt thought of all the implications before making this rule

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I use VPN for privacy. Can you post the host name or IP addresses of the server so that I can configure my firewall to route traffic through straight internet to the server instead of through vpn

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Also, does this mean you are building network scanning tools into the client to scan home networks?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Right decision, right time. Really optimistic about 1.0 especially around server security and regulation, much needed.

Thanks goodness about the ADK and char limit. Saved us right there!!!
    Praxi Starwalker
    Bria Server
    'RFR' - Rebel Force Recon
    'SOH' -Soldiers of Honour

Play Stats
    Inactive
    No ,I think that the Emu staff dindt thought of all the implications before making this rule
    Thank you for your feedback, we have discussed this internally, but I will bring your concerns to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinDuke View Post
    Also, does this mean you are building network scanning tools into the client to scan home networks?

For obvious reasons, we will not get in to how we detect multiple accounts.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would caution people who say we didn't think about what we have decided, this has been going on literally for almost a year.

I've been building tools and doing data analysis for close to a year now.

We've been using a machine learning service to analyze registrations and cut them to 1/3rd of what they were.

In February of 2019 I built out the activation workflow, that improved the number of real email's people use now.

I work internationally, for a massive multi-national company (not hard to figure out who) and I fly just about bi-weekly, I have people in my group from China, Dubai, Australia, EU etc.. on ward..

I'm very aware of the challenges governments have applied to the internet, I donate to the The Free Software Foundation monthly.

It saddens me to think some people would accuse us of racism or having not thought this decision out.

Its easy, this game was not designed to be fun with a single person having 27 accounts (WTF 270 Characters!?) and the community has complained for years about us not doing enough.

Many times even over the last year people have complained, I bit my lip because I knew what our data was showing, I built tools to empower our CSR's to research everything.

People who were paying attention should have known something was up when I pushed this commit, gee I wonder what I was building there?

Now we have 11,187,396 records to analyze and we've built tools to leverage that data and now we're adding more to apply machine learning against the data to detect cheaters.

I am happy to learn with the community, but I will not provide anymore details of our technology "behind the curtain" and if you have valid needs I'm happy to review each case, submit a support ticket and state your case. But I will warn you, more than once this has happened and I've found cheaters trying to make up stories, we have the data, don't lie to us, be honest and discuss your situation with respect and be specific and we will do our best to help.

If this policy is too hard for you then you are welcome to play elsewhere, I have made it extremely easy with ZonamaDev to setup a home server, have a blast, we're not holding anyone back!

Here, together, in this community, we want to enjoy a deeply connected game set in the Star Wars Universe, to do that we must do our best to reduce cheating to a minimum.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]
    For obvious reasons, we will not get in to how we detect multiple accounts.
    is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. while i hardly play anymore and log in seldomly as the game dried out due to classic WoW. i definitely love my Nord VPN as it secures my privacy and that is very important to me, and cause blizzard is ran by monkeys sometimes the only way to get access to the game when their login servers for the east coast mess up is to go around it is via VPN.
    Last edited by Hieroglyphics; 11-11-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieroglyphics View Post
    is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. while i hardly play anymore and log in seldomly as the game dried out due to classic WoW. i definitely love my Nord VPN as it secures my privacy and that is very important to me, and cause blizzard is ran by monkeys sometimes the only way to get access to the game when their login servers for the east coast mess up is to go around it is via VPN.
    Enlighten me how it would be considered illegal to know who log in to our services

About Nord VPN... I would look at this video from JayzTwoCents and his views on the security they provide.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJZFTy_SAc
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieroglyphics View Post
    is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. ..
    Everything we do today is on the server side and any communications between our servers and services is encrypted. I've discussed security a bit before but happy to address concerns as needed. That said again we're not going to explain in more detail what we're doing because cheaters will gladly use that to find ways around the systems and we don't have the resources to tackle that cat and mouse game.

We're very sensitive to privacy, if you notice we only have a "user experience" pixel on our site, when I first got here we were firing all sorts of stuff like Google and Facebook, I removed all those.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Closed Thread

Thread Information