Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good now we can focus more on balancing post 1.0 cause Precu swg's balance is a **** show and a half.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax989 View Post
    It's a bit hard to contribute to the jtl portion of the project when the design concept / shift...
    Please you post to a link about the "Hype Train" and a video about testing as if these are proof we're holding back.

/sarcasm on
    You're right, secretly we have so much fun playing JTL without you all we've just decided to keep it to ourselves.
    /sarcasm off (maybe)

If you have the skills step up, seriously, I have offered full SWGEmu support for a team that can prove to our devs they can pull it off. Imagine that, official support, our servers, my tools and support keeping your systems up and running, some level of "consultation" from the rest of the dev team to help you on your way.

But to be clear, if you can't commit code to Core3 the thing you need to do for JTL will be beyond your talents. I'm sorry its a sad truth. I personally know I could do it, but it would mean my wife watching the back of my head for long periods of time. It turns out I married her because I met her in SWG so you can imagine how exciting it would be for her to watch the back of my head while I ignore her when we could be playing the game we loved and extending it beyond our wildest dreams. (sorry she didn't like JTL either, we met on the ground).

Anyway, I'm sorry this has upset people, to be clear like Miztah said we see ZERO blockers towards this becoming a future expansion. But this team is not dedicated to it, we're tired, we bashed our heads against it and in the end JTL made us tired not inspired.

What would you prefer? An inspired dev team or a tired one?
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Poobacca View Post
    Is there any chance of asking Sony/****** for rights to use the original JTL code? Didn't the base code remain the same throughout Live? (other than stuff being added to it?)
    It would sure be quicker than starting from scratch like for the ground game. But didn't you have to start from scratch on the ground since they deleted and changed the base code for CU and NGE?
    We asked, they said bring $250m in unmarked bills to the next meeting and we'll think about it.

Seriously think about what you just typed man, this is a multi-billion dollar franchise and we're not worth the dirt on the bottom of the shoe of the guy catering the food for the last movie shoot.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    In all honesty, I believe a server wipe will help this project more than the implimentation of JTL.
    Loots -n- Components Mos Eisley (/way 3378, -5629)

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wraken View Post
    In all honesty, I believe a server wipe will help this project more than the implimentation of JTL.
    From your fingers to the emperor's eyes.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    We asked, they said bring $250m in unmarked bills to the next meeting and we'll think about it.

Seriously think about what you just typed man, this is a multi-billion dollar franchise and we're not worth the dirt on the bottom of the shoe of the guy catering the food for the last movie shoot.

When this game is a non-profit, for love of the game type thing, it's a legit question. If swgEMU was trying to make a profit off of it, that would be different. They made concessions to allow you to develop the ground game. It only makes sense that maybe those concessions would include JTL. But we all also understand the concept of greed and intellectual property.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Can SWGEMU community pay for such coder? How much would that be?

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by makednoce View Post
    Can SWGEMU community pay for such coder? How much would that be?
    Again, as soon as we turn "pro" we will be shutdown instantly. You can see this in other mods that have tried to do re-born versions of SW related games.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    All i got to say it is a really lengthy proces already how far you got with the SWGemu.
    And i think its the best work you all did untill now.
    All i can think of is that if there is ever someone who can help you out with this, they should keep in mind the initial idea of JTL like how Lucas wanted.
    Not what Smedley did with it in the first place.
    I recall that the intention was that it would be like the pre MMO type gameplay like x-wing vs tie-fighter, X-wing Alliance and so on of the other games of that era.
    I think one of the best examples of an MMO with ground versus flight and space was Battlefront II 2005 edition.
    All parts are in par with the ships and fit in the storyline.
    If ever you do find that programmer/coder, i hope you consider going towards that angle.
    And not the JTL it ended up to be.
    ( i just had to post this, i think with all things considering this SWGemu needs the best rewards for there hard work and most unusual comments )

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsplice View Post
    Advertising.
    LOL, you might want to check out my professional background....

Nobody is interested in the small volume of advertising we could generate.

I wish they were because it would solve so many problems!
    LordKator
    Developer

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cdent4 View Post
    When this game is a non-profit, for love of the game type thing, it's a legit question. If swgEMU was trying to make a profit off of it, that would be different. They made concessions to allow you to develop the ground game. It only makes sense that maybe those concessions would include JTL. But we all also understand the concept of greed and intellectual property.
    In all seriousness, think of what you were doing 15 years ago at work. Pause.. Seriously think.. now some random person walks up and asks you to recreate all that.. Yea good luck.

The rightful IP owners of SW need to protect themselves from less than scrupulous people out there, by law if they don't protect one intrusion then others can proceed without resistance. With that in mind we have skirted along the edges for a long time, there is no need to try and get people to remember what they wrote 15 years ago and meanwhile risk being the "Example" needed by case law for the rightful owners of SW IP to prove they're defending their IP.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Honestly, I probably am in the whatever percentage of folks who didn't really get into space at all during the my entire 8 year play time. The ground game just had so much more for me to get into. While I understand that folks may feel burned by the idea of JTL being behind 1.0 (or with it if we're lucky enough to find someone willing to put in the time), I completely understand yalls reasoning for narrowing your focus toward 1.0 and beyond. I think mostly people are burned by not knowing a bit earlier but how would we know if it was possible if you guys never gave it an attempt? Sounds like thats exactly what happened, gave a shot and realized the work load would further put us away from 1.0. And if thats case, yall do yall. We'll be here when 1.0 is ready and I'm sure even more will be here if JTL becomes a reality. Keep up to hard work. And also thank you for not putting the entire project at risk by folding and using leaked code instead of your own like you have been.

Play Stats
    41h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by wraken View Post
    i agree all starting again like a brand new game.. bring it on! good work up to this point all devs well done and thanks for bringing this old classic back to life. even without JTL.
    Vendor..Market Tat 5060,0,-5364 2K Outside Mos Eisley

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    In all seriousness, think of what you were doing 15 years ago at work. Pause.. Seriously think.. now some random person walks up and asks you to recreate all that.. Yea good luck.

The rightful IP owners of SW need to protect themselves from less than scrupulous people out there, by law if they don't protect one intrusion then others can proceed without resistance. With that in mind we have skirted along the edges for a long time, there is no need to try and get people to remember what they wrote 15 years ago and meanwhile risk being the "Example" needed by case law for the rightful owners of SW IP to prove they're defending their IP.

What was I doing 15 years ago? I was paying Sony $15.99 (or however much it was) a month to play this game, along with the 100s of thousands, if not millions of other people doing the exact same thing. That being said, unless they are developing a replacement to SWG, it seems like they could make some more coinage by reintroducing the game to the masses for a playing fee. I would pay to play it again if it had full JTL included.

Quality Assurance
    Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by cdent4 View Post
    What was I doing 15 years ago? I was paying Sony $15.99 (or however much it was) a month to play this game, along with the 100s of thousands, if not millions of other people doing the exact same thing. That being said, unless they are developing a replacement to SWG, it seems like they could make some more coinage by reintroducing the game to the masses for a playing fee. I would pay to play it again if it had full JTL included.
    To be clear, ****** did not renew the Lucasarts agreement with SOE and signed a contract with EA for Star Wars games. SOE had no choice but to shut it down.
    Last edited by Fastburn; 09-01-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Fastburn
    Quality Assurance

Fastburn@SWGEmu.com | Code Commits

Closed Thread

Thread Information