Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Play Stats
    113h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastburn View Post
    You can play Freelancer right now. I've enjoyed some of the mods from it. But it isn't something you can slot in.
    Well, I meant a game tied in with SWGEmu, with the crafting and such.

IGN Shyloe, and Cydonia. Drop-off vendor located @ /way 6188, 6206. NIKA Marketplace.

Quality Assurance
    Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by shilo View Post
    Well, I meant a game tied in with SWGEmu, with the crafting and such.
    We have to use the client that SWG uses and the client expects specific functions and responses from the server. Could people tweak, add, and change gameplay once it's done, sure just like ground gameplay.
    Fastburn
    Quality Assurance

Fastburn@SWGEmu.com | Code Commits
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Could you guys negotiate something with (...). They give us the JTL engine, but to run it you need to pay a nominal fee to (...) The ground game will be free, but you need to pay to access space? Consider it a SWGEmu expansion pack
    I has been confirmed many times that SOE will not do this and in addition they DO NOT HAVE the original pre-CU code base anywhere. It was lost in the shutdown and will never be recovered.

You can't just glue together two games, the underlying systems are not the same, it's like trying to run a car on diesel that isn't designed for it...

But we are working on a new feature for 1.0, you'll be able to travel to a new planet called Azzeroth.

(sorry couldn't resist)

So you are saying that we could possibly have a JTL-like game made? I would be ok with a space game that is similar to JTL. It took the dev's this long to emulate the ground game, I think people would be ok with a non 100% emulated space game.
    For the effort of having a new game made we could have finished JTL 100x over.

It's not that its impossible, its that we don't have enough devs interested in driving it forward.
    Last edited by Lolindir; 09-13-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Triple post
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Farelli View Post
    Yep. Classic leadership failure. Rather than trying to figure out how to be a better WoW, they should have figured out what their customers loved about SWG, and then worked tirelessly to make more of the same.

Oh, the lessons we learn, when we work on such time-wasters as video games, eh?
    This is funny because SOE/DBG learned nothing, they are doing the same thing with the planetside IP, the game was originally a mmofps sandbox, but they decided for whatever reason to move half the dev to a BR project based on the license...
    There is no other game like Planetside 1/2, but they want to make a fortnite/pubg-planetside... It's not yet out but already dead. sad.

My Mods | My SWGEmu Website
    Drop Off | 1km of Dantooine Mining Outpost 0 1600

Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    could you add atmosphere flight ?

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    So you are saying that we could possibly have a JTL-like game made? I would be ok with a space game that is similar to JTL. It took the dev's this long to emulate the ground game, I think people would be ok with a non 100% emulated space game.
    No no I dint meant to make another game tied to SWG but I used to play Freeworlds a lot and Ill check if i can pull some ropes to see if devs from that project could help SWGEmu , these guys are into SW ships and there features such as hit boxes, weapons ,maneuverability ,speeds ,damage they taken the SW encyclopedia of ships and almost reproduced them all, if im right and they still have the Star wars flame burning after 10 years of Freeworlds coding an opportunity to volunteer work on JTL may be fun for them , that is if Freelancer coding is similar to JTL coding
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic167844_1.gif
    - - - - - - - -= www.nrnr.org =- - - - - - - -

Play Stats
    113h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking carpet View Post
    No no I dint meant to make another game tied to SWG but I used to play Freeworlds a lot and Ill check if i can pull some ropes to see if devs from that project could help SWGEmu , these guys are into SW ships and there features such as hit boxes, weapons ,maneuverability ,speeds ,damage they taken the SW encyclopedia of ships and almost reproduced them all, if im right and they still have the Star wars flame burning after 10 years of Freeworlds coding an opportunity to volunteer work on JTL may be fun for them , that is if Freelancer coding is similar to JTL coding
    Tell them that they are our only hope.

IGN Shyloe, and Cydonia. Drop-off vendor located @ /way 6188, 6206. NIKA Marketplace.

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    But we are working on a new feature for 1.0, you'll be able to travel to a new planet called Azzeroth.
    I been to that planet and got hyperdrive sick and on a Troll, no im never going there again
    Last edited by Walking carpet; 09-14-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I am not sad about JTL, I could play with or without it. Really the only thing I liked about it was the ability to go to Musta/Kash and that was it. If we cannot have JTL perhaps the Devs could come up with a way to get us to those places via shuttle like all the other planets we have to travel to? So for myself, I say move on from JTL, implement the things you are able and don't sweat it, get there when you get there.

Play Stats
    74h last 30d
    Both Kashyyyk and Mustafar were launched post CU. We have no idea on how the pre-cu hammer would land on these world.
    Enmor Solusar \ Hatchi Rejan on Finalizer Former toons on bas: Enmor/ Hatchi Atlante/ Wenmor/ Endore/ Shaamus/ Metroid.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The issue of money and IP rights keep getting brought up and I've wondered for a while if it would be possible to use the code to make a non IP attached game using all the same mechanics? Is the SWGEMU code considered an IP independent of SWG? This is something I've also wondered about the necessity of the game discs, would it be possible to make new game assets so the game could be distributed completely? I like the Star Wars universe, but I would be totally okay with a MMO that has the same mechanics if it would be possible to monetize and have a dedicated dev team. Is this possible, or is there some legal issue preventing this?

Play Stats
    14h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by les_punk View Post
    The issue of money and IP rights keep getting brought up and I've wondered for a while if it would be possible to use the code to make a non IP attached game using all the same mechanics? Is the SWGEMU code considered an IP independent of SWG? This is something I've also wondered about the necessity of the game discs, would it be possible to make new game assets so the game could be distributed completely? I like the Star Wars universe, but I would be totally okay with a MMO that has the same mechanics if it would be possible to monetize and have a dedicated dev team. Is this possible, or is there some legal issue preventing this?
    you cant take someones game and charge for it , its totally against many laws, copyrights ect.
    SWGEmu is registered under Hungarian law to be a non lucrative organisation so they can only accept donations

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    If what you're saying is why don't we build a new game just sort of like SWG without any of the star wars characters, creative assets, stories or themes!?

That game is being build by another "for profit" team: https://therepopulation.com/ and its a massive effort still in progress.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking carpet View Post
    you cant take someones game and charge for it , its totally against many laws, copyrights ect.
    SWGEmu is registered under Hungarian law to be a non lucrative organisation so they can only accept donations
    I know you can't use the copyrighted material, but I wasn't sure what was or wasn't copyright IE the SWGEMU reverse engineered code. I'm not savvy on the intricacies of how all the different software components go together, or copyright law, so I wasn't sure what would be considered independent of the SWG IP/code.

Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    If what you're saying is why don't we build a new game just sort of like SWG without any of the star wars characters, creative assets, stories or themes!?

That game is being build by another "for profit" team: https://therepopulation.com/ and its a massive effort still in progress.
    Hehe, yes unfortunately. I love Star Wars but seeing how hamstrung this project is by copyright laws I wasn't sure if there was another way.

Is The Repopulation built off of any of the SWGEMU code or is it just a spiritual successor using a different engine, ect?

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Hehe, yes unfortunately. I love Star Wars but seeing how hamstrung this project is by copyright laws I wasn't sure if there was another way.

Is The Repopulation built off of any of the SWGEMU code or is it just a spiritual successor using a different engine, ect?
    Not using anything from SWGEmu, they're building a "for profit" game from scratch and it's been a very long haul for a commercial project, my first contact with them was April of 2013.

FYI I am recruiting for JTL SIG, no promises, but I will take time to see if we can find the right people for the job: Call for Developers: JTL SIG
    Last edited by lordkator; 09-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    LordKator
    Developer

Closed Thread

Thread Information