Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you ALL for all the hard work, the countless hours, the headaches, etc.
    Thank you most of all for not giving up even when it was bad.
    And thank you for loving the same game we all love and being relentless,
    getting back up when knocked down.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I know I haven't said anything here for a very long time, but I am still actively following the project and I tell as many people about it as I can. I thought the original idea was to launch 1.0 before ever starting work on JTL. Did people not understand that or? I am hoping it can be included one day, but for now 1.0/ground game needs released first. Perfect it before EVER trying to work on a separate project. (JTL sounds like a separate project to me) Everyone needs to be patient and let the devs do their work. One day soon, we will all enjoy the game we once loved.
    Some may say that I am mad as a hatter, or madder then a March hare. But, that could be my split personality talking.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrion View Post
    I know I haven't said anything here for a very long time, but I am still actively following the project and I tell as many people about it as I can. I thought the original idea was to launch 1.0 before ever starting work on JTL. Did people not understand that or? I am hoping it can be included one day, but for now 1.0/ground game needs released first. Perfect it before EVER trying to work on a separate project. (JTL sounds like a separate project to me) Everyone needs to be patient and let the devs do their work. One day soon, we will all enjoy the game we once loved.
    The initial goal of SWGEmu v1.0 was Live SWG v14.1, which included JTL. I agree though, finishing the ground game and launching 1.0 makes more sense.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    The initial goal of SWGEmu v1.0 was Live SWG v14.1, which included JTL. I agree though, finishing the ground game and launching 1.0 makes more sense.
    Actually it wasn't. Our goals changed a few times. When I joined staff 1.0 was going to be just ground game and then once that was released work on JTL would start (like Garrion said), if you check my posts from some 7 or 8 years ago (maybe more), you'll see that. I remember because I was kinda pissed when I saw some devs telling people that JTL was going to be part of 1.0 because it was never announced as a change of our goals and it meant that I was misleading the community for years. Now ironically it seems like I've been doing nothing but that.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Actually it wasn't. Our goals changed a few times. When I joined staff 1.0 was going to be just ground game and then once that was released work on JTL would start (like Garrion said), if you check my posts from some 7 or 8 years ago (maybe more), you'll see that. I remember because I was kinda pissed when I saw some devs telling people that JTL was going to be part of 1.0 because it was never announced as a change of our goals and it meant that I was misleading the community for years. Now ironically it seems like I've been doing nothing but that.
    I guess that's what I get for only being an active member for 6-7 years and not 7-8. /shrug

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrion View Post
    your wrong , SWGEmu was always advertised including JTL , 14,1 live compliance includes JTL now i dont care if you launch the ground based code and suncrusher cause so many want it but i feel after Suncrusher is launched and stabilized there will be no JTL here since most of the main Staff will be gone , Miztah TA to name a few

Heres proof of JTL working with collisions and functioning enemies
    https://youtu.be/ZDQLcP8_ccI?t=1069
    Last edited by Walking carpet; 09-01-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic167844_1.gif
    - - - - - - - -= www.nrnr.org =- - - - - - - -

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Darn you Walking carpet for attaching that video! I forgot how much I loved JTL and am impressed how well the graphics hold up even to today's games. I was worried that nostalgia wasn't what I remembered it to be!

As Lordkator had mentioned, if there are developers passionate enough and dedicated enough to this endeavor all the more power to them in bringing JTL sooner rather than later! I don't have those kinds of skills (DBA by trade but no C/C++) but I like many others would be willing to QA and maybe help with at least LUA scripting. Let's get that JTL SIG going.

Xir

Play Stats
    Inactive
    All i got to say it is a really lengthy proces already how far you got with the SWGemu.
    And i think its the best work you all did untill now.
    All i can think of is that if there is ever someone who can help you out with this, they should keep in mind the initial idea of JTL like how Lucas wanted.
    Not what Smedley did with it in the first place.
    I recall that the intention was that it would be like the pre MMO type gameplay like x-wing vs tie-fighter, X-wing Alliance and so on of the other games of that era.
    I think one of the best examples of an MMO with ground versus flight and space was Battlefront II 2005 edition.
    All parts are in par with the ships and fit in the storyline.
    If ever you do find that programmer/coder, i hope you consider going towards that angle.
    And not the JTL it ended up to be.
    ( i just had to post this, i think with all things considering this SWGemu needs the best rewards for there hard work and most unusual comments )

Play Stats
    Inactive

1.0 Date

Is there an update on how close we are to 1.0? I started a guild and town about two months ago and lots of people have left and its now empty because of talk of the
    server being shut down. Do we know how close we are to the new server so I can update my guild?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wsimm101 View Post
    Is there an update on how close we are to 1.0? I started a guild and town about two months ago and lots of people have left and its now empty because of talk of the
    server being shut down. Do we know how close we are to the new server so I can update my guild?
    One maybe two years.
    I have listed myself for mission to mars in 2028.

Play Stats
    Inactive

curious?

can you make it JTL 0.1? such as (no space combat) but at least have the options to build cruisers as mobile homes and storage so we could invest into that instead of travel costs? it would open up another entertainment option in decorations and another means of travel. When i was playing JTL back in the day I would love to stand on my decorated cruiser and overlook Naboo, I would invite my friends to come onboard and we would chill and craft.. it was bomb!
    just my thoughts?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vedlinyrim View Post
    can you make it JTL 0.1? such as (no space combat) but at least have the options to build cruisers as mobile homes and storage so we could invest into that instead of travel costs? it would open up another entertainment option in decorations and another means of travel. When i was playing JTL back in the day I would love to stand on my decorated cruiser and overlook Naboo, I would invite my friends to come onboard and we would chill and craft.. it was bomb!
    just my thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/oxwLOlCWkCY?t=2156

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    No Pre-CU server has functioning JTL because SWGEmu is trying to do things LEGALLY and rewrite code from scratch instead of stealing it.
    At one point I took the SOE code and made several major codebase rewrites over the course of awhile to attempt to get it to zone in with our vanilla CU client. It was a lot of work, but I was able to get very close to achieving zone in the CU, however I have well abandoned said work quite some time back.

Saying that since even if there was a desire to rewrite the NGE code to be compatible with the Pre-CU client, would be even more work for pretty much no payoff compared to the amount of effort involved.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the update guys, if you think this is the best thing to do, we trust you, you are the one who led this project this far !

My Mods | My SWGEmu Website
    Drop Off | 1km of Dantooine Mining Outpost 0 1600

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'd like to clarify some things mentioned in here. First of all, we've been open to accepting new developers since the project opened, there has never been a point where we didn't accept worthwhile additions to the team. The reality is, our codebase is dauntingly large and complex, and very difficult for anyone new to jump into and make any sort of meaningful development progress at this point. We occasionally get people willing to contribute small changes, but big feature additions are something that would take a very through understanding of the code to even attempt. Most new people aren't willing to put that kind of time into the project, so our team rarely grows.

Also, this information doesn't mean we're abandoning JTL. For the moment, we're accepting the reality that none of us have as much free time to develop as we did in the past, and it's not worth holding back a major project milestone by tacking on multiple additional years of development while we try and work out a new backend.

We're considering 1.0 as our "the ground game is done" milestone, which means that large population test servers like Basilisk won't be necessary anymore. So at that point, when we're confident with the ground game's status is complete, we can move on to working on our own live play server environment without the 14.1 constraints. We'll still continue to make fixes to our 14.1 codebase as LK said, but we'll also be open to do our own custom changes as well.

However, don't think this means 1.0 or SunCrusher are coming soon. We've still got some major feature sets to complete first (new AI, imperial crackdown, gambling, etc), so at the very least 1 or 2 more publishes before we can say we're happy with how complete it is. Don't let it affect your decision to play, because Basilisk will still be up for a long time, and we may consider keeping it running when we spin up our own play server down the road.

So don't take this news as the team giving up on anything. Many of us want to work on JTL, but the reality is it's going to take a good amount of time. Having 1.0 not include JTL allows us to have a reasonable timeframe to completion, and it allows our player base to finally play the game without the negative affects of a testing environment like exists on Basilisk. At that point, we're able to keep poking at JTL at our own pace without the community having to wait years longer for a play server.
    Miztah
    Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    miztah@swgemu.com | How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Closed Thread

Thread Information