Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Play Stats
    Inactive

1.0 Date

Is there an update on how close we are to 1.0? I started a guild and town about two months ago and lots of people have left and its now empty because of talk of the
    server being shut down. Do we know how close we are to the new server so I can update my guild?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wsimm101 View Post
    Is there an update on how close we are to 1.0? I started a guild and town about two months ago and lots of people have left and its now empty because of talk of the
    server being shut down. Do we know how close we are to the new server so I can update my guild?
    One maybe two years.
    I have listed myself for mission to mars in 2028.

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    There's no need to be so negative to people like kenobuOwan who are at least trying to brainstorm some options to explore. Of course there is no drop-in solution but some of the heavy lifting has been open sourced and could be adapted.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm pretty sure it will come faster than we think! Anyway what does it change?

Play Stats
    Inactive

Unreal..

Greetings project team!

When I started playing SWG at its European release it was under the impression JTL would arrive *cough* shortly and so I wanted to get started and prepare
    for it by moving up in that galaxy far far away. The ground game was a path towards a goal so to speak. Sometimes in life though, I have been blessed by realizing
    that the path is far more important and enjoyable than the goal. SWG pre-CU changed how I play games and what I hope to see in games. And it wasn't JTL,
    ground combat or even that it was Star Wars. It was the many activities and game features to get involved in besides combat paired with the community. If
    not for crafting, running a shop, getting to know players etc I would have left the game within 3 months. Instead I am reasonably sure, despite SWG's flaws and
    shortcomings, I will never love playing a game more. Plus, it was Star Wars.

What you all have achieved here is nothing short of unreal. First hearing about this project I thought, probably doable but next to impossible. Not because of
    technical or legal issues which I would leave to professionals more suited to evaluate anyway, but because I did have some grasp of the scope of the project and its main
    challenges. In short, the human factors. I can only imagine the actual time and effort that has been sunk into bringing SWGEmu to this point. In my view this project has
    been a thundering success for a long time. Regardless what initial goals are reached. Regardless how many people end up playing on Suncrusher. Its a success because
    a story like SWGEmu is highly inspirational. You all brought the project this far, for this long, for nothing but love for the game, its community and Star Wars. Despite likely
    at least suspecting it might be costly in terms of your own interest in playing your creation. Rewards are awarded for that kind of dedication.

It has been speculated Star Wars fans might be one of the toughest crowds around to create entertainment for. I can understand that. When emotions run high,
    so does the chance some struggle to remain respectful. In my book its basically praise although that can be hard to see. If you don't care you don't comment.

Moving forward releasing 1.0 with JTL as a possible future addition is clearly the right choice. And I am sure one not taken lightly knowing full well some would be rather
    disappointed. For my part SWG might be just a fond memory, but thanks to you I still keep the original game around. Perhaps when Suncrusher is up I will feel like playing
    SWG again. I would be surprised if there aren't quite a few people like me lurking in the shadows contemplating a return to a galaxy far far away.

Once the dust settles and Suncrusher is operational I hope you all get to enjoy your creation. Nobody deserves it more.

Brewberry

Play Stats
    Inactive
    First, I want to thank the SWGEmu team for keeping the game alive in some capacity. It's been a long sixteen plus years for a ton of people.

While the idea of being able to do JTL is always welcomed, I am extremely satisfied that we have the ground game server opportunity (Suncrusher) to do first.
    Without the worry of wipes, while the possibility of space flight is still a remote option, way down the road, seems like the most logical choice.

LordKator - thanks for doing the YouTube cast with Mobyus1... it was cool to learn that you were the leader of FEDS on Flurry, as I was in DC (Imperial) way back in the day.
    I was a corespondent/senator as Per Synapse and tried to survive through all the changes of the CU/NGE,
    which I was not at all happy about. I did actually make it through though, the good and the bad, up until the official end.

This is an amazingly awesome option to surprisingly still be able to play it, and in a state that I purchased it in late June of 2003 (with applicable "updates"). Looking forward to the wipe.
    Last edited by Telex; 09-30-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Telex View Post
    First, I want to thank the SWGEmu team ..
    Me too, what an amazing project, I'm humbled by those who have came before me!

LordKator - thanks for doing the YouTube cast with Mobyus1... it was cool to learn that you were the leader of FEDS on Flurry, as I was in DC (Imperial) way back in the day.
    Oh man a flood of memories came back when I read this.. :-)

I was a corespondent/senator as Per Synapse and tried to survive through all the changes of the CU/NGE,
    which I was not at all happy about. I did actually make it through though, the good and the bad, up until the official end.

This is an amazingly awesome option to surprisingly still be able to play it, and in a state that I purchased it in late June of 2003 (with applicable "updates"). Looking forward to the wipe.
    It is pretty crazy, and I hope we can keep it going!
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    First, I want to thank the SWGEmu team for keeping the game alive in some capacity. It's been a long sixteen plus years for a ton of people.

While the idea of being able to do JTL is always welcomed, I am extremely satisfied that we have the ground game server opportunity (Suncrusher) to do first.
    Without the worry of wipes, while the possibility of space flight is still a remote option, way down the road, seems like the most logical choice.

What the :O I need to listen to this interview! I didn't realize LordKator was leader of FEDS. I spent all my years on Flurry too. I was in TITAN and then DFR.
    SWG-Flurry | <DFR><LoS><KOE><TITAN><Merc> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <Merc><TITAN><KOE><LoS><DFR> | SWG-Flurry

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    I personally know I could do it, but it would mean my wife watching the back of my head for long periods of time. It turns out I married her because I met her in SWG so you can imagine how exciting it would be for her to watch the back of my head while I ignore her when we could be playing the game we loved and extending it beyond our wildest dreams. (sorry she didn't like JTL either, we met on the ground).
    Too bad they didn't meet in space, things would be alot different.
    Ok guys you heard it, just need to convince his wife that he's fulfilling his purpose in life of making swgemu 14.1 compliant.

Lol just kidding, im actually happy that this will bring us closer to the server wipe. That's about the only thing im looking forward to.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the info

Play Stats
    Inactive

curious?

can you make it JTL 0.1? such as (no space combat) but at least have the options to build cruisers as mobile homes and storage so we could invest into that instead of travel costs? it would open up another entertainment option in decorations and another means of travel. When i was playing JTL back in the day I would love to stand on my decorated cruiser and overlook Naboo, I would invite my friends to come onboard and we would chill and craft.. it was bomb!
    just my thoughts?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vedlinyrim View Post
    can you make it JTL 0.1? such as (no space combat) but at least have the options to build cruisers as mobile homes and storage so we could invest into that instead of travel costs? it would open up another entertainment option in decorations and another means of travel. When i was playing JTL back in the day I would love to stand on my decorated cruiser and overlook Naboo, I would invite my friends to come onboard and we would chill and craft.. it was bomb!
    just my thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/oxwLOlCWkCY?t=2156

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    Man, I just watched this video and I just have to say … I like Lordkator and I'm so glad he's part of this project! Yes - don't tell me everything about every line of code, I want to discover it. Yes- finish the ground game, I do love JTL but this approach is just too sensible to fight.
    Yes - stay true to your position to not steal code. Yes - I trust you, you don't need to defend any decisions to me.
    Also, kind of neat to put a face to these online identities, nice to meet you guys.
    Thanks.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Walking Carpet wrote "We have Ralph Koster that keeping an eye on SWGEmu development he knows the devs of JTL and im pretty sure he would try at least connecting with the right people or giving you clues as to how to proceed even if hes got hes hand tied contractually."
    I absolutely don't see this happening. Koster has probably moved on, as he should have. Being aware of a project is quite different in being interested in it or supportive of it. As I understand it, Koster was burned bad by his time on SWG. SOE threw him under the bus as soon as it was convenient for them to do so, just like they did to the playerbase at the time to chase new subs, which never came.
    Rory Koroo - Eclipse Server

RoryKoroo - Basilisk Server

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you ALL for all the hard work, the countless hours, the headaches, etc.
    Thank you most of all for not giving up even when it was bad.
    And thank you for loving the same game we all love and being relentless,
    getting back up when knocked down.

Closed Thread

Thread Information