Closed Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Farelli View Post
    Yep. Classic leadership failure. Rather than trying to figure out how to be a better WoW, they should have figured out what their customers loved about SWG, and then worked tirelessly to make more of the same.

Oh, the lessons we learn, when we work on such time-wasters as video games, eh?
    This is funny because SOE/DBG learned nothing, they are doing the same thing with the planetside IP, the game was originally a mmofps sandbox, but they decided for whatever reason to move half the dev to a BR project based on the license...
    There is no other game like Planetside 1/2, but they want to make a fortnite/pubg-planetside... It's not yet out but already dead. sad.

My Mods | My SWGEmu Website
    Drop Off | 1km of Dantooine Mining Outpost 0 1600

Play Stats
    Inactive
    could you add atmosphere flight ?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I am not sad about JTL, I could play with or without it. Really the only thing I liked about it was the ability to go to Musta/Kash and that was it. If we cannot have JTL perhaps the Devs could come up with a way to get us to those places via shuttle like all the other planets we have to travel to? So for myself, I say move on from JTL, implement the things you are able and don't sweat it, get there when you get there.

Play Stats
    25h last 30d
    Both Kashyyyk and Mustafar were launched post CU. We have no idea on how the pre-cu hammer would land on these world.
    Enmor Solusar \ Hatchi Rejan on Finalizer Former toons on bas: Enmor/ Hatchi Atlante/ Wenmor/ Endore/ Shaamus/ Metroid.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The issue of money and IP rights keep getting brought up and I've wondered for a while if it would be possible to use the code to make a non IP attached game using all the same mechanics? Is the SWGEMU code considered an IP independent of SWG? This is something I've also wondered about the necessity of the game discs, would it be possible to make new game assets so the game could be distributed completely? I like the Star Wars universe, but I would be totally okay with a MMO that has the same mechanics if it would be possible to monetize and have a dedicated dev team. Is this possible, or is there some legal issue preventing this?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by les_punk View Post
    The issue of money and IP rights keep getting brought up and I've wondered for a while if it would be possible to use the code to make a non IP attached game using all the same mechanics? Is the SWGEMU code considered an IP independent of SWG? This is something I've also wondered about the necessity of the game discs, would it be possible to make new game assets so the game could be distributed completely? I like the Star Wars universe, but I would be totally okay with a MMO that has the same mechanics if it would be possible to monetize and have a dedicated dev team. Is this possible, or is there some legal issue preventing this?
    you cant take someones game and charge for it , its totally against many laws, copyrights ect.
    SWGEmu is registered under Hungarian law to be a non lucrative organisation so they can only accept donations
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic167844_1.gif
    - - - - - - - -= www.nrnr.org =- - - - - - - -

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    If what you're saying is why don't we build a new game just sort of like SWG without any of the star wars characters, creative assets, stories or themes!?

That game is being build by another "for profit" team: https://therepopulation.com/ and its a massive effort still in progress.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking carpet View Post
    you cant take someones game and charge for it , its totally against many laws, copyrights ect.
    SWGEmu is registered under Hungarian law to be a non lucrative organisation so they can only accept donations
    I know you can't use the copyrighted material, but I wasn't sure what was or wasn't copyright IE the SWGEMU reverse engineered code. I'm not savvy on the intricacies of how all the different software components go together, or copyright law, so I wasn't sure what would be considered independent of the SWG IP/code.

Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    If what you're saying is why don't we build a new game just sort of like SWG without any of the star wars characters, creative assets, stories or themes!?

That game is being build by another "for profit" team: https://therepopulation.com/ and its a massive effort still in progress.
    Hehe, yes unfortunately. I love Star Wars but seeing how hamstrung this project is by copyright laws I wasn't sure if there was another way.

Is The Repopulation built off of any of the SWGEMU code or is it just a spiritual successor using a different engine, ect?

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Hehe, yes unfortunately. I love Star Wars but seeing how hamstrung this project is by copyright laws I wasn't sure if there was another way.

Is The Repopulation built off of any of the SWGEMU code or is it just a spiritual successor using a different engine, ect?
    Not using anything from SWGEmu, they're building a "for profit" game from scratch and it's been a very long haul for a commercial project, my first contact with them was April of 2013.

FYI I am recruiting for JTL SIG, no promises, but I will take time to see if we can find the right people for the job: Call for Developers: JTL SIG
    Last edited by lordkator; 09-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post

FYI I am recruiting for JTL SIG, no promises, but I will take time to see if we can find the right people for the job: Call for Developers: JTL SIG
    Sweet I will send anyone i find to this thread.
    LK I thank you for your devotion to the JTL community
    Last edited by Walking carpet; 09-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic167844_1.gif
    - - - - - - - -= www.nrnr.org =- - - - - - - -

Play Stats
    316h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxiom View Post
    ED or SC would be cool but to get my fix I play https://www.vendetta-online.com/ from time to time,

I tried that game a couple years ago but couldn't get a joystick to work with it, hate flying with keyboard. Little keys + big fingers = dead. Also, I saw maybe 3 people the two weeks I played the thing.
    Still.... it was better than nothing, maybe I'll load it up again.
    Profit's Drop
    Lavender Wildlands, Talus. -5295 -3750

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I respect you decission and guess posted on page 4 I vote for motivated Devs no tired ones!
    This game is fantastic and Devs invested a lot of strength and love during all the time I know it (2011-2018).
    Even if I do a SWG break I am thankfull for the work you do and hope you don't lose the Motivation, THX

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I am personally super excited to see the project get to this point and im more delighted to read posts suggesting that 1.0 is in the future and that there are people willing to be a part of running said server. Im sure I recall a time where there was no one willing to run Suncrusher even if we reached the point where it could happen. Im slightly less motivated to relist some items on my vendor tonight but its time to start planing, soon there will be new cities to run and guess its time to save a copy of my macros once more
    Finalizer 5184 6258 Kadarra
    12PT Force Sensitive Armorsmith & 12PT Chef

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Unlucky...been following SWGEmu for years with the hope of playing JTL.

Happy that you guys are looking for more hands to help rather than giving up on it, but certainly bummed about the news.

I basically lived in space, so although I loved the ground game it would be really hard for me to play SWG without that option.
    I was in space so much that even though I wanted to be a shipwright, I never even really got anywhere with crafting lmao.

Honestly I wish I had any experience coding, I would absolutely love to help out, but alas.
    If by some chance I run into someone who could help, I'll gladly point them this way.
    I'll always keep an eye out here for future updates.
    Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put in over the years, it's been crazy to watch the status list slowly go from red to green. Every time a feature got relisted in green it made me happy, and I haven't even played.

In the meantime, years more though it may be for JTL, I hope SC/Squadron 42 makes good progress.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Personally, I think this is great news! Lets be honest, ONLY the team coding knows whats best to move this project forward.
    People shouldn't really see this as a negative anyway think about it, all focus will be on the ground game, a lot more tweaks and fixes that potentially could of been missed because of rushing onto JTL.
    The best thing is we all have the ground game to enjoy and you never know what happens overtime, more coders could join the team or current coders could have less time but regardless we'll have a completed ground game that we can all enjoy.

Closed Thread

Thread Information