Closed Thread

Thread: Death and Taxes...

Hybrid View

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    This thing have not yet been discussed in staff, but I don't think we should start to expect members of the community or team to be willing to have their face on video or to talk about things in their life outside of SWGEmu. If they want to, that's fine, if they don't want to, that have to be fine to. Having your words in a forum post is one thing, having your face out over social media, is another. Different people, different boundaries.

I'm posting this just to make sure we don't make an expectation that people, who contribute for various reasons, needs to be on video, or have their voice heard. We wish that anyone who wants the be anonymous can be just that. That is why we have the 2.4 rule in our TOS. As soon as you say yes to something like this, that anonymous is gone.

I'm not negative to the concept, but we have to respect peoples boundaries, if they voice one.
    +10000, I totally agree.

Some of us are very public and other private but contribution has nothing to do with either choice.

As much "fun" as it would be for people to see a video from each member of staff I don't think it will drive the project further forward any faster.

Again I'm for some balance here, just want to agree with what Lolindir is saying.

I also want to be clear, driving people or forcing them to the forums is not something I would support. I know it's shocking but there are many people who want nothing to do with the forums, nor do they want to be forced to interact with them. It's hard to understand for all of us that are very comfortable here. Most people are lurkers and many more don't want anything to do with it.

I've been thinking on this a lot recently, I don't have a good set of answers yet but I will keep noodling on it and will share my thoughts in a new thread when I'm further along in my process.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    I don't have a good set of answers yet but I will keep noodling on it and will share my thoughts in a new thread when I'm further along in my process.
    Or just use the Dev Q&A sticky thread that already exists---> https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183748
    (Could even have Vlada remove any remnants of 'Nee', if it's such a turn-off. But regardless of how anyone feels about me, that ^ existing thread was literally made to accomplish at least some of what people are craving here. )

----
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    Perhaps I missed it because some of the posts in this thread have gotten super long and I ended up simply skimming through them, .
    I thought i had linked this earlier in one of my prior posts but i might've forgotten:
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270
    (Yes, that ^ sticky thread is a bit out-dated, but again it seems to be exactly what u guys are wishing for, no? Except for the voice/video aspect. )

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyus1 View Post
    I’m seeming to remember something called “Community Spotlight”... I don’t remember if it was from Live or from some other game I used to play, but iirc each month there would be a post about a random member of the community
    3 times Nee ain't the charm but...
    https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183784
    ...if you do end up creating a NEW 'Community Spotlight' video or whatever, i still have all the PM's i received from all those guild-leaders and i'd be more than happy to share the info (Pending their approval of course --- It's not private info or anything. It's just IN-GAME tidbits & such, but i'd still ask for permission before passing it along. They're just collecting dust at this point though, since the 'featurette' idea never came to fruition...for various reasons. )

Also, in case you were thinking of the old original SOE version, here it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/200503031...er%20Sign%20Up

I could be wrong (shocker!) but i think we'd need to be very cautious with any such SWGEmu 'Newsletter' , outside of these forums, just cuz of the whole SW licensing/branding implications.

Best to keep a low-key lower-profile type approach imo. And i suspect most of the Devs feel the same way. (Heads down, hard at work, etc. )

Just my 2 credits.

Play Stats
    261h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by nee2earth View Post
    Just my 2 credits.
    Shouldnt that be .02 credits?
    Nika Marketplace, Naboo 5915, 5915
    Dropoff 5900, 5858 Nika Resource Vndr
    Forum
    Discord

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I haven't posted in years, but I do keep track of what's going on. I've been following the project since early 2007, and I even recall helping Kyle gather crafting schematics.

Taxation is theft, and I'll gladly donate to help mitigate that.

Keep it up guys.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Been following this thread, new to Basilisk but played a version of the Emu 4 years ago.

Just wanna commend everyone who donates and those who put so much sweat equity into this project, it's awesome and something I didn't think I would ever get to experience again!

On the subject of Q&A's and what not, being a newer individual to the server, I'm familiar with the game, but when looking for a server I had a lot of concerns initially, such as:

Is SwgEmu one server? Or a model that many servers are based on? (Figured that out)
    What are the differences in the servers? (I pretty much know this answer)
    Which server is the most populated, why? (Kind of know this answer)
    Are any of these servers even alive anymore?

The last question comes from a quick google search and a quick scan to see when the latest posts on the forums were, I know not everyone, as you guys have said, even looks at the forums, maybe most log in, play, logout and repeat.

However, for me, especially with a project like this where it's not a given that there will be hundreds of folks to play with, the involvement of the community that literally make the game worth working on is what I looked for first.
    Long story short, there maybe an untapped following who read before installing, and if there were more consistent activity on the forum, maybe those folks would come out of the shadows.

Just my thoughts.

Glad to be here.

Closed Thread

Thread Information