Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Death and Taxes...

Veteran
    Play Stats
    249h last 30d
    Mistakes get made and they get corrected...... NP... I just hope this doesn't mean the project will get, like, double taxed (US and EU) from now till doomsday or something... 0_o
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    This server is for us all to try and finish this game so you can have a server to play, hopefully with me far away from here.

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Oru View Post
    and i have updated the original post with the last tax balance sheet. .
    Not sure how it's displaying on your end but i think when you edited your OP, it converted all your original text into GRAY font (makes it extremely difficult or impossible to read, depending upon the browser) .

Anyways no biggie but just figured i'd let you know.

Thanks again for the continued details & elaborations.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by nee2earth View Post
    Not sure how it's displaying on your end but i think when you edited your OP, it converted all your original text into GRAY font (makes it extremely difficult or impossible to read, depending upon the browser) .
    I fixed it

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Tax inspection report added.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba View Post
    I'm sorry if I come across as ungrateful or negative. I know I'm implying some nasty things about people but I am still reserving judgment. I don't believe a scam has occurred but people's circumstances can change fast and nobody is above temptation. If one person is holding the purse strings and the purse is in Hungary and nobody else can communicate with the accountant or the bank, you will get people like me asking questions like why isn't the accountants professional insurance covering this?.
    I don't mind being questioned, was actually expecting these and i will try to answer them as best as i can. Regarding the insurance, there was none. The original accountant became way too expensive and when we had to switch late 2013, i found someone i knew doing it for third the price as a retired accountant who simply continued the process the way it was started without noticing the mistake. So we can go after the original accountant with a lawsuit but that would do more bad then good for sure.

Going to post the bank wires too once the monthly history is available.
    Oru
    Founder

oru@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulba View Post
    I'm sorry for casting aspersions or for any negative implications. But I saw this question elsewhere and I couldn't find an answer :

How many people in the project team have access to this accountant?

If it's more than one, can the other person(s) verify what Oru has said?

This accountant should have known the tax implications. And they should have had professional insurance to cover a mistake like this. That's what they are paid for.

I've followed and interacted with this project since its earliest days. For quite a while now I've been unable to do much more than float in the far background of the forums. This has pulled me back to the keyboard!

I can honestly say that, in the past, there were members of the team who I wouldn't have trusted with the dead skin from the bottom of my feet, let alone money!
    However, I personally feel complete trust in the current team to deliver on the goal in an honest manner.
    I've watched on helpless as a very close friend lost their business they built from nothing through 20 years of hard, hard graft. lost their home, lost everything, all due to the incompetence of their tax accountant. Said accountant admitted fully to the mother of all f*** ups over a number of years, yet the accountant walked away with no repercussions while my friend lost everything. So please keep in mind that even a poor accountant will usually make sure their arse is covered but care not for their clients when it comes down to it.
    Any negative reflection on the team here, from us on the outside, is baseless.

edit.....
    oops, forgot to add
    To the devs, support etc.. of SWGEMU. You do an amazing job, and will always have my gratitude.
    Last edited by ljay1973; 12-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    <DOGBOY> Auld Skool WS
    ****** retired ******

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    So you thought VAT wouldn't be applied to overseas buyers and your accountant didn't tell you otherwise? I'd sack the accountant. I think accountants are just glorified theives. They charge you a fortune for their service and as soon as something goes wrong they hold their hands in the air taking no responsibility.. Most goods and services from Australia are exempt from GST however GST is paid on all purchases by imported into Australia.

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by avimeso View Post
    So you thought VAT wouldn't be applied to overseas buyers and your accountant didn't tell you otherwise? I'd sack the accountant. I think accountants are just glorified theives. They charge you a fortune for their service and as soon as something goes wrong they hold their hands in the air taking no responsibility.. Most goods and services from Australia are exempt from GST however GST is paid on all purchases by imported into Australia.
    Maybe i'm just a stupid coder but i would expect to pay taxes at the point of sale, not leaving the responsibility on me to report and pay the taxes directly to the tax office.

I can hardly argue your point on accountants though.
    Oru
    Founder

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Oru View Post
    Maybe i'm just a stupid coder but i would expect to pay taxes at the point of sale, not leaving the responsibility on me to report and pay the taxes directly to the tax office.

I can hardly argue your point on accountants though.
    Well 10% GST always is displayed on your invoice whenever you buy something here. Not sure what it like in US. I would of thought it would of been up to the company selling you a service in Europe to handle the tax by passing it on in their invoice but guess that isn't the case. Sounds like a stupid tax system they have there, expensive lesson to learn non the less.. Accountant really should have done his research, but just goes to show you cant rely on people to do their job. I've kinda learnt you always have to cover ones ***.

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Transparency is always valued, keep up the great work!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You're not a big GAFA, then error may occurs. Thank you for your job, thank you to SWGEmu teams.
    Master Bounty Hunter, MCarabiner
    Free hunter
    PreCu MBH-Kauri-GL "Le Cercle Spectral".

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Well 10% GST always is displayed on your invoice whenever you buy something here. Not sure what it like in US. I would of thought it would of been up to the company selling you a service in Europe to handle the tax by passing it on in their invoice but guess that isn't the case. Sounds like a stupid tax system they have there, expensive lesson to learn non the less.. Accountant really should have done his research, but just goes to show you cant rely on people to do their job. I've kinda learnt you always have to cover ones ***.
    Let me show you some of the early invoices from 2013. I leave you to find the easter egg there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15AFpqyTFUrv7o4Zlr8rcDEsvP1rolrKL/view

Not much clue until you really watch every line very closely. Besides that since they asked for the VAT id, i thought they figured we are tax-exempt and that is why 0% taxes are shown.

2 years later they realized the mess they did and made it more clear but still it was not too obvious:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dNsKvzd1-Barpa6BF4wcsa4IPW_zXhqi/view
    Oru
    Founder

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    can u msg me on discord just got a quick Q, i been reading about it. it seems very similar to GST.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    can u msg me on discord just got a quick Q, i been reading about it. it seems very similar to GST.
    I very much doubt Oru can, but you can message Scurby there.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    I very much doubt Oru can, but you can message Scurby there.
    i always found talking to scurby like talking to a brick you never get a response.. I can email oru.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    i always found talking to scurby like talking to a brick you never get a response.. I can email oru.
    That works

Closed Thread

Thread Information