+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk Maintenance - October 19th 2018

Play Stats
    588h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    One would be a great start.
    Since the most programming i have ever done consisted of making a turtle move in a triangle in 1982 grade school, and something like

10 goto 20
    20 blah blah
    30 something else

would you guys be able to use programming students?
    Nika Marketplace, Naboo 5915, 5915
    Dropoff 5900, 5858 Nika Resource Vndr
    Forum
    Discord

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladestonez View Post
    it's been a very very long time and I was never terribly great but I would be willing to study back up on things. Can't promise my ability stacks up to the job but I would love to help if I can.
    Come chat with me... I'll find something u can do.
    Scurby
    QA Leader

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Live Support | Mantis (Bug Tracker)
    scurby@swgemu.com | Gerrit | Jenkins

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Misk Brebran View Post
    Since the most programming i have ever done consisted of making a turtle move in a triangle in 1982 grade school, and something like

10 goto 20
    20 blah blah
    30 something else

would you guys be able to use programming students?
    I feel like we need Scurby and some Devs in here. I couldnt code my way our of a wet paper bag.

Quality Assurance
    Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    If (bag.item = wet && on body = true)
    {
    Bag.remove;
    }

There you go, from my phone. Vlada

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Most people find our codebase very overwhelming, especially without a lot of programming experience. But at the same time, I'm personally proof that it's not impossible for someone with very little knowledge to get a grasp on everything and learn a lot along the way. Education wise, I've never taken more than intro classes to Java and C++ before swapping to a different major, and that was over 10 years ago. Everything else I've learned is completely self taught either through trial and error or help from the other devs, and solely from working on this project.

The most demanding thing about being able to contribute are both time and willpower. Learning is tough, it takes time.
    Miztah
    Developer

miztah@swgemu.com | How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miztah View Post
    Most people find our codebase very overwhelming, especially without a lot of programming experience. But at the same time, I'm personally proof that it's not impossible for someone with very little knowledge to get a grasp on everything and learn a lot along the way. Education wise, I've never taken more than intro classes to Java and C++ before swapping to a different major, and that was over 10 years ago. Everything else I've learned is completely self taught either through trial and error or help from the other devs, and solely from working on this project.

The most demanding thing about being able to contribute are both time and willpower. Learning is tough, it takes time.
    I love to learn, funny because I hated school, but I've made it a long way in life with no real formal education beyond high school. I mean I'm a self taught CNC machinist and make spaceship parts for SpaceX primarily. I'm running some of the newest machines making some of the hardest parts here with about a years experience. Knowledge is power.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    At the same time I'd really recommend a basic understanding of pointers, memory management, and thread synchronization. Otherwise it's going to be a very uphill battle.
    reoze
    Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | mIRC Guide | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    588h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by reoze View Post
    At the same time I'd really recommend a basic understanding of pointers, memory management, and thread synchronization. Otherwise it's going to be a very uphill battle.
    Copy all. When I was in college I did volunteer work at an animal refuge with large predatory mammals and while we didnt have a program in place at the time to give students credit for the work, i helped establish the bedrock to start having interns get credit. I know this is a bit different than animal husbandry (we always start at the lowest levels), however, a couple years later the program began to give credit to student as a seminar class that counted toward their degree. Any chance of something like that for programmers? Youd be able to set the criteria as appropriate and then get who ever wanted to take the "seminar" that met the criteria.
    Nika Marketplace, Naboo 5915, 5915
    Dropoff 5900, 5858 Nika Resource Vndr
    Forum
    Discord

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Carnage will be making a 10.000 donation

oh ya 2025 when suncrusher is out good luck swgemu.
    Last edited by papilove; 10-16-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'd say donations are low because no one wants to play this server. It's been up way too long. I know many players that play on side servers because of the current status of basilisk. In my humble opinion, if you want more people to donate and play I'd suggest a server wipe. It would bring a lot of old players back. This server needs it anyway. Just my 3 cents! Good luck team!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The next publish will bring people back. It always will. And looking back donations normally drop off near the end of a publish. And I'm all for maintenance if it stops the rubber banding. And a server wipe would be both beneficial but also counter productive. Many people will leave, many people will come back.
    algebuckina
    Event Coordinator Intern

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by algebuckina View Post
    The next publish will bring people back. It always will. And looking back donations normally drop off near the end of a publish. And I'm all for maintenance if it stops the rubber banding. And a server wipe would be both beneficial but also counter productive. Many people will leave, many people will come back.
    That moment when you just unlock padawan but you also want a server wipe...

Play Stats
    672h last 30d
    We could build a Kickstarter project to finance the EMU :

Rewarding contributors with in game unique items (like city decoration starships) or some experience boost (skill box).
    These rewards would be applicated to every server.

To survive we need to adapt...
    https://tinyurl.com/4mbn92a3
    DROP /way corellia -454, 0, -5454
    Paintings Guide - POI Badge Guide

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Omens View Post
    We could build a Kickstarter project to finance the EMU :

Rewarding contributors with in game unique items (like city decoration starships) or some experience boost (skill box).
    These rewards would be applicated to every server.

To survive we need to adapt...
    Like we explained in other threads, Kickstarter is for making new games, or whatever else new. We are walking a very thin legal line and we are trying to build an emulator of an already existing game, so Kickstarter, or anything like that is a no-go.

Also discussed, in another thread any kind of reward for donations can be (if a semi decent lawyer wants to see it that way) seen as us selling in game stuff, which brings us back to that very thin legal line.

Play Stats
    672h last 30d
    Why stick to the plan if the plan is not an option ?

If we launch Suncrusher in advance, we may get more people (all those who wait for it), and get more donations.

I play on Basilisk since 6 years, during that time lapse, I have seen many people from original server Infinity' Guilds (TRF, RED...) or other Guilds (-V-) comes in, play a bit and then comes out.

They all wait for that very new start to come back.
    https://tinyurl.com/4mbn92a3
    DROP /way corellia -454, 0, -5454
    Paintings Guide - POI Badge Guide

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information