Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive

New Test Center: TC-Prime

December 2017
    The SWGEmu Staff

Since we have completed our move the Dev and QA teams have asked for a new server that will allow us to test numerous things not possible on Nova.

The inspiration for this server name comes from TestCenter/TCPrime getting started and FAQ.

The goal of this server is to allow people to test the latest code before we push it live on Basilisk.

The reality is people do not test at scale on TC-Nova and we need people to pile on and test new features before we roll them out to Basilisk.

I'm working on a process that will automatically make a snapshot of Basilisk server (All accounts, items, characters etc.) and re-deploy it as TC-Prime.

This means you will see your toons twice on the character selection page, you can still login to Basilisk and ignore the other toons.

If however you actually care about the game getting closer to v1.0 then you can login to TC-Prime with your characters that are 100% the same as your Basilisk characters.

You will have to re-setup macros and keys but those should hold between wipes because they're client side settings.

TC-Prime is the place to test your characters, items, buildings etc. with the project's most recent merged code.

When you first zone into TC-Prime you will get a pop-up on each of your characters, this message will be something along the lines of:

IMPORTANT SYSTEM MESSAGE:

THIS SERVER IS A COPY OF Basilisk AS OF 12/17/2017

THE GOAL OF THIS SERVER IS TO PROVIDE A PLACE TO TEST
    NEW PRE-PUBLISH FEATURES WITH EXISTING CHARACTERS.

THIS SERVER MAY BE UP OR DOWN AT A MOMENTS NOTICE.

THIS SERVER WILL BE WIPED EVERY WEEK WITH A NEW COPY OF Basilisk.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    Once you hit OK on the pop-up it will go away until we setup a new message or we re-copy the server from Basilisk.

TO BE CLEAR THIS IS A TEST SERVER, ANYTHING YOU DO THERE WILL BE LOST EACH TIME WE WIPE THE SERVER WITH A NEW COPY OF Basilisk

My goal is to have this process 100% automated and running on a weekly basis, that said we may run the copy earlier to test new things and/or allow the server to stay for longer periods for testing purposes. You'll always get a notice when we make these changes when you zone-in to the server.

Happy testing and enjoy TC-Prime.
    Last edited by Vlada; 12-18-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This be pretty cool. Nice work
    algebuckina
    Event Coordinator Intern

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Sweeet! These are the droids we've been looking for. Even more fun time.
    Retired Community Relations

Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    There are no admins besides like, scurby, on this server, right?

Not a fan of having a certain QA member be able to snoop through houses and what not

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    You will have to re-setup macros and keys but those should hold between wipes because they're client side settings.
    TC-Prime and Basilisk use the same macros.txt file (as well as notes/aliases). So all macros will already be in place, but...any changes you make to macros on either server will affect the other.

You can easily copy over all your settings from Bas to TC-Prime. The guide below explains how to copy settings between characters. However, because TC-Prime is a direct copy of Bas, all the character numbers are the same for both servers. So you can just copy the three files for each character directly, and don't need to worry about which number is which character.

https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoxide View Post

Not a fan of having a certain QA member be able to snoop through houses and what not
    I was fired, so you don't have to worry 'bout me lol

Although anyone who knows me , knows that I barely ever used ANY admin commands, much less /snoop thru tester's houses. I would never, and never did, break 'Rule 1'.

Regardless, you don't have to worry period, cuz neither Farelli nor Hakry would ever abuse 'powers' either. And even if they did, Scurby & TA would notice immediately.

I suspect the actual ADMINS are: Scurby, TA, Lordkator, and maybe Sniffer. Otherwise, it's probably about the same QA/Dev delineations & perms as regular TC Nova (or maybe slightly reduced, cuz Basilisk effect --- And actually, come to think of it, since TC-Prime is essentially a 'mirror' of Basilisk, i'm guessing it also inherits the same Staff toon perms & titles as regular Basilisk) .

Scurby watches & controls everything, so the days of "corrupt" Staff are long gone.

----

On topic: I'm curious to know how Mantis Bug Tracker will be handled, for any bugs found on TC:Prime. Will testers know how to denote when they file? Will Scurby create a new filing catagory? Because as it stands now, most people file under 'SWGEMU: Basilisk' , even if the bug didn't actually occur there.
    Last edited by nee2earth; 12-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive

Yeah for real. If someone was sifting through my virtual junk on a test server I'd feel really cross about it as well.

Great point.
    <BoS>
    Dropoff vendor Talus>Right outside the Imp Outpost>Does anyone really care at this point?
    IGN: Khoridonn-Phaddy-Bunnker

"Retired" SWGEmu Staff risenangel's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive

We can't and won't do that. Rule 1 is quite literally, "don't **** with the players" and what that means is just that. We can't and won't mess with you. If something comes up, we'll simply talk to you and ask you to file a mantis ticket with screenshots of whatever it is we need to see. That way it is entirely your choice as to what, and how much, you share if anything. Admin command usage these days is watched like a hawk by Scurby, Niffer and the devs.

Also, since its a mirror of Basilisk, as Nee pointed out our powers, I expect, are going to be far less than what they are on Nova. If its on par with Basilisk, QA doesn't have permission to /snoop or do a lot of other stuff because we don't need to and aren't allowed to. We can teleport, use setspeed on ourselves, go invisible annnnd maybe one or two other things to get info about the world. That is about it. Everything else is reserved for Niffer, Scurby and the devs.
    Last edited by risenangel; 12-18-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Kyada <BoS>
    Everything I ever did was about pushing the project forward.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good Job lordkator and the rest of the team.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by risenangel View Post
    We can't and won't do that. Rule 1 is quite literally, "don't **** with the players" and what that means is just that. We can't and won't mess with you. If something comes up, we'll simply talk to you and ask you to file a mantis ticket with screenshots of whatever it is we need to see. That way it is entirely your choice as to what, and how much, you share if anything. Admin command usage these days is watched like a hawk by Scurby, Niffer and the devs.

Also, since its a mirror of Basilisk, as Nee pointed out our powers, I expect, are going to be far less than what they are on Nova. If its on par with Basilisk, QA doesn't have permission to /snoop or do a lot of other stuff because we don't need to and aren't allowed to. We can teleport, use setspeed on ourselves, go invisible annnnd maybe one or two other things to get info about the world. That is about it. Everything else is reserved for Niffer, Scurby and the devs.

QFE.

I'm always watching.
    Scurby
    QA Leader

How to report bugs | Live Support | Mantis (Bug Tracker)
    scurby@swgemu.com | Gerrit | Jenkins

Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    Lovin' Prime so far. Definitely a step in the right direction for development.

Play Stats
    38h last 30d
    Why would a staff member even want to look through a player's house, and why would anyone care if they did (assuming they didn't move or delete anything)?

"Retired" SWGEmu Staff risenangel's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedge15 View Post
    Why would a staff member even want to look through a player's house, and why would anyone care if they did (assuming they didn't move or delete anything)?
    Full disclosure: In three years of testing for the project as a QA/CT, I've only had to look at a player twice. The first was to verify an issue with vendors when we were updating them a few publishes ago, and the second was with pub 9 and a ticket issue with the corellian corvette. Both times, permission was asked for and granted.

The reason I bring this up is because there are rare circumstances where having visual confirmation of something helps and it requires that the player consent to it due to the invasive nature of it.
    Kyada <BoS>
    Everything I ever did was about pushing the project forward.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    what you guys got something to hide if ya all want look away i got all the same junk the rest do lol . btw great idea and maybe i missed it but will there ever be any blue frog on prime .

Play Stats
    38h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by risenangel View Post
    Full disclosure: In three years of testing for the project as a QA/CT, I've only had to look at a player twice. The first was to verify an issue with vendors when we were updating them a few publishes ago, and the second was with pub 9 and a ticket issue with the corellian corvette. Both times, permission was asked for and granted.

The reason I bring this up is because there are rare circumstances where having visual confirmation of something helps and it requires that the player consent to it due to the invasive nature of it.
    Understood, which is why this post...

...was so puzzling.

Closed Thread

Thread Information