• Staff Updates
    • Quick Stats
    • Staff Round-Table
    • Closing
    SWGEmu Project Updates

Major Additions/Changes

Staff Updates

SWGEmu is Recruiting!

SWGEmu is an ever-changing and growing organization where new talent is always being sought out. We especially would like to mention the need for more developers, please see this thread for more information.

SWGEmu is also in need of other positions filled. For anyone interested in spending some of there free time toward this project, please consider to join in on our SWGEmu Internship Program . Its once more possible to apply for an event coordinator position.

Quick Stats

Developer Code Commits/Changes:
    • Commits2017:1,043
    • File Changes: 5,213
      • Changed files with 208,367 additions and 658,804 deletions
    Registration Statistics:

• Daily:
      • October 17, 2017 - 11 accounts registered
      • November 28, 2017 - 140 accounts registered
    • Monthly:
      • January 2017 - 2,486 accounts registered
      • November 2017 - 1,055 accounts registered
    • Yearly:
      • 2017 - 16,619 accounts registered; average 1,385 per month
    User Activity Statistics (Users online in one day):
    • Most users online: August 09, 2017 - 1,597 users
    New thread statistics (Posted threads):
    • December 2017 - 1,503 new threads
    • February 2017 - 1035 new threads
    Most users online: 1,657 (05-11-2011 06:22 PM)
    Most viewed thread: SWGEmu Timeline
    Most replied thread: What are you listening to right now?
    Most popular forum: Basilisk Trade Forum
    Top poster: Same Idiot (31,924 posts)

Staff Round-Table

Oru - Founder/Dev
    Another great SWGEmu year behind us. Much was accomplished, there is much to be proud of. I want to thank our Developers, Quality Assurance, CSR's, EC's, Mod's, Support Interns, Community Testers, Code Contributors, past and present, for their time, effort and their unwavering dedication to this project. And of course our community. Thank you for supporting us, and playing with us all these years.

Happy holidays.
    Lordkator - DevOps Engineer
    It's been a great year, I've enjoyed digging in even deeper with the team as I worked to move all our systems to a new cleaner and scalable environment. I learned a lot about our systems and I got to clean a lot of stuff up which is one of my biggest motivators. We have more alerting, solid backups and we're setup in a way that allows us great flexibility for the future.

My single favorite thing about last year: We moved, and nobody really knew it. That was my goal, I'm always the guy who works in the shadows to make everything "just work". It was very quiet, and as things moved they only got better for the community, our developers and our staff. The overhaul was one of my favorite projects of the last couple of years and it re-ignited my passion for infrastructure and systems management.

I'm excited about TC-Prime, it was hard to setup but now it's 100% automated, every week it just magically clones the entire Basilisk beast to our backup server and makes it available to everyone. This is a major milestone for the project, we can now push publish changes there and test new ideas from infrastructure changes (it runs in a container!) to managing Basilisk and other servers like it in the future.

Plans for the future?
    Well now that the overhaul is over I am going to be doing a lot more house cleaning on our systems, I also want to get back to committing code to Core3. I have some cool ideas both on the game side and on the infrastructure side.

I want to do more with thePit, my original dream was to have an always-on PVP server but I've been so busy with everything else I've not had time to really hone that environment. I’d like to structure the mechanics to be a bit more fun while embracing the dog-eat-dog world of a PvP server.
    Scurby - Quality Assurance Lead
    It's been an amazing year for SWGEmu. JEDI!! What else is there to say?

The infrastructure overhaul is quite a major leap for us also. State of the art hardware capable of handling our needs for the future. Included in that was automated backups of our databases, a new test server (thePit), streamlined and updated core3 dependencies, additional logging of server/system functions, automated outage notifications, rolling log files, among other performance and stability changes.

Discord showed up this year.. It's taken the gaming community by storm. The community SWGEmu discord currently has 1433 members. Average of 300+ online, currently 403. I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that it is not an official form of communication for SWGEmu.

Plans for the future?
    TC-Prime - A copy of Bas that is auto-refreshed weekly. A full copy of everything on Bas.. all your toons, weapons, housing, resources, even the location you were in when we make the copy to TC-Prime. (TC-Prime is active now.)
    It will also be used to stage large changes (publishes) and hotfixes for testing. The advantage of testing on Bas database first is obvious.

Finish Ground game - This milestone is within sight.

JTL - We have started..
    Farelli - Quality Assurance
    Big year. Return of the Jedi and all that. Infrastructure changes are a simply amazing effort by the devs. Great job, folks.

New servers TC-Prime and thePit:
    TC-Prime is a regularly backed up copy of Basilisk where players can test using their actual in-game items without fear of losing them on their play characters.
    thePit is an always-PvP copy of Unstable (think Nova) with code added that is not ready for Unstable. There typically aren't a lot of people there, but you might get lucky and find a QA there you can gank.
    I'll echo what the OP and RisenAngel said above: we can always use more help in QA. We've done some things lately that will ease the learning curve. If you're interested, please get in touch with one of us in-game or on forums, IRC, or Discord.

Now I've got stuff to test. On to another great year.
    Risenangel - Quality Assurance
    When I started as a CT almost four years ago now, I would often times get asked how the game was coming along, and how close we were to being near 'finished'. My answer at the time was unabashedly blunt: It was easier to tell people what was in the game than what was left to work on. At the time, we were working on CH stuff and droids. Now though, if you ask me the same thing, its easier to list off what is left to work on. That is pretty crazy to me. Additionally, when I started, one of the two kinds of content I was told I wasn't allowed to touch is now in the game and being tested quite thoroughly by everyone on Basilisk alongside other servers that run on Core3. What I'm getting at is this: The light at the end of the tunnel is getting pretty bright. And yeah, as the OP says QA and the other teams are always recruiting. Right now is an excellent time to join up if you've been considering it given QA has been crushing bugs like its Starship Troopers.

I look forward to what 2018 brings. I just want to say in closing, thank you to everyone that has supported us through thick and thin. Everyone that has been active on Mantis and helped with bug reports and testing. We see you and appreciate you. You guys catch the stuff that slips past us and it helps immensely. Everyone on the QA team has a different perspective and we all catch different things, but our players have their own perspectives and see things we don't. Usually, in very creative and sometimes unintended ways.

Thanks to everyone that has helped us get this far, too. We could not do it without you. That might seem cliché, but its the honest truth.
    Niffer1976 - CSR/EC/Support (Niffer, The Machine)
    We have lost many staff in these areas this year due to health and work. I wish them all well in the future. Anyone wanting to apply should follow this link: https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93399

CSR-
    Many changes have been made in game since our latest publishes. Everyone is doing great to adapt to those changes. A big thank you to QA, Devs, Scurby and Vlada for helping with problems that occur. Lots of accounts old and new are coming back and it is great to see new and old faces in game.

EC-
    Events have not been happening and I am sorry about that. We currently have only 1 CSR/EC and I will try to get at least 1 event a month scheduled. If you want a player event please be sure to fill out the event application and send it in. https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121061 Developers have been great making us a event tool that can be used at certain types of events.

Support-
    Many tickets come in daily so be patient if you do not hear from us right away. Many issues must be tested to see if it can be reproduced or discussed between Devs, QA and Support to see what the issue may be. No one is being ignored it just takes time to answer some tickets over others. Please do not spam the ticket system with multiple tickets and remember to create an account before submitting a ticket. Support system is different from forums and does require a separate log in. This way you can view and respond the ticket you already have open.

Thank you community for all the support you have given ALL of staff. *Cheers* to what is to come!!
    Bigevil - Community Relations
    *BigE had a big nice picture here telling everyone that he have been looking at us from afar for far to long and that he is happy to be back with the community. We are all glad to have him back with us* (Sorry BigE, our forum isn't the best and that picture is lost, Lolin)
    Vlada - Lead Moderator
    Not this **** again.
    Lolindir - Moderator
    Wow, 2017 done already? The year have gone so fast. The project have gone steadily forward and we have finally seen both the corvette and Jedi implemented in the latest patch. Didn't take long for them to pop up here and there. Going forward from this is exciting for me. Most things have been implemented and now it feels like beta is around the corner (don't quote me on that! You know.... SoonTM). Looking forward to 2018 and where our project will go. Happy New Year!

Closing

The project have come a long way the last couple of years. Scurby even gave us a hint in this very thread about how far we really have come. Not only have the server seen all classes finally implemented, but the corvette have finally landed (well, landed... Its up there)! The light in the tunnel have become that much brighter (Suncrusher 2009). There have also been another very big change to the project. Our server and server solution have drastically changed, as can be read by Lordkator.
    We have unfortunately lost some staff this year. Niffer is now basically alone in support and as an CSR/EC. We really need help in that department, so if anyone feel they can spare a few hours to the project, please apply for an internship. We are a good bunch of people in staff and you get a rare chance to see the project from another angle and help your fellow community members, so join the fun.
    We on staff would also use this opportunity to thank each and everyone in our community for their continued support, donations and time spent on our project. This would not be possible to do without the combined effort of everyone! So thank you from all of us on staff and we all look forward to 2018 and what this year will bring project!

Happy New Year SWGEmu!

~The SWGEmu Team
    Last edited by Lolindir; 01-23-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    For those that asked about our financial report, I have all but last 3 months done, I am still waiting for our accountant to send me those, as soon as i get them i will post it.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Keep Up the good work Team/ Community. You guys are doing a great thing for all of us.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Read it again. The staffs round table quotes should be back now. The forum is bugging out on us at the moment
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

"Retired" SWGEmu Staff risenangel's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    edit: nvm. lets see how many catch it.

thanks for a wonderful year everyone
    Kyada <BoS>
    Everything I ever did was about pushing the project forward.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    Read it again. The staffs round table quotes should be back now. The forum is bugging out on us at the moment
    lol that at the moment started back in 2011.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    lol that at the moment started back in 2011.
    Thats when I joined the project....
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

Veteran
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by risenangel View Post
    Cant wait to save on travel tickets.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/jNsOu1T.png[/img]

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Amazing work everyone, here's to 2018 and beyond.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Outstanding work! Thank you to everyone involved for keeping the dream alive and making it a reality! Bring on 2018 and beyond!

/salute

Located outside Keren, Naboo /way 1984 1356
    ** Resource Sale Ongoing Now! **

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax2069 View Post
    Amazing work everyone, here's to 2018 and beyond.
    QFE...And...

Since my unfortunate impatience w/ the process & insubordination w/ co-volunteers caused my nearly 5 years on-Staff to be shamefully cut short this past year before I could type out my '2017 blurb' quote, I'd like to take this moment to publicly apologize to oru, TA, Scurby, Ivojedi, Miztah, reoze, lordkator, Niffer, Vlada, Lolindir, BigE, Weedie, Farelli, Hakry, risenAngel, & the rest of our Community for succumbing to the *darkside* too often and not only tarnishing my own continued efforts but also [albeit unintentionally] disrespecting the very spirit of our Project.

Use me, fellow SWGEmu'ers, as an example of how Nomanisanisland.

Anyways... 'twas a good run and still I'm thankful for the time I had behind-the-scenes to contribute toward 1.0

See y'all round the Galaxy...and on the forums. -- ./bow, Nee

./super-2018-PEP-TALK

p.s. 'SunCrusher 2019' has a nice ring (and symmetry) to it. Just sayin'.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by risenangel View Post

thanks for a wonderful year everyone
    O.O

I caught it! I totally caught it! Scurby you sneaky devil. You have no idea how excited I am right now! Well maybe you do since it seems to come up a lot in the forums.

Thank you SWGEmu team! You all rock!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Great progress, thanks to all the staff, and the members who have contributed.

Curently Cirrwarr (Wookiee) & Zeep (Rodian) in game.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Interesting
    algebuckina
    Event Coordinator Intern

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would like to say thanks to all involved.... I know it cant be easy but you are appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information