Closed Thread
Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kat View Post
    A lot of people commenting here seem to have totally missed the point of Basilisk.

It's a TEST server, so keeping the data would be a much better option from a testing perspective, more data, more angles that can be tested.

The number of character slots is a straw man and has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. However, the more char slots, the more options players can have to test out different profesions and templates.

As for the economy, it doesn't matter at all about that, it's meaningless, again this is a test server, a WIP, a temporary set up to check out various aspects of code, game mechanics, data etc. etc.

(BTW I only read the first 30 pages of the thread, posts started to repeat themselves and I got bored)
    I totally agree with this post. I think we lose sight of the objective here at times.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Serrabell View Post
    I totally agree with this post. I think we lose sight of the objective here at times.
    i see it as we are having a house built. we found some contractors to do it for free. while they are putting up walls, and building floors... we are telling them where to put the tv, couch and fridge. (yes, im a carpenter)

unless you ready to start building the house on your own, lets trust the staff's decision for what best for the project.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Something something something test server...

Play Stats
    Inactive
    What ever happens, what ever you guys decide to do, im not going anywhere and will always be a full supporter of this project.

You guys have done an outstanding job to have got the pre-cu project to as far as you have, im just sorry this has happened and potentially wiping out all your hard work!

But if you do have to wipe and start again, I will be up there with the other true genuine supporters to get the commerce up and running again.

May the Force be with us all.
    DrNHS (ign)
    A Jack of all Trades, an Expert in None.
    Trade Vendor @ 2984 -5772; 1km outside Mos Eisley

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryjarob View Post
    Alpha servers will be alpha servers.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I wanted to create a character on Nova, in the meantime, to help with testing for bugs in career paths I'm unfamiliar with, but it appears that functionality is broken (during this downtime, specifically, I'm guessing?). ):

Here's to everything being recovered/sifted-through today and to hoping for a quick boot-up to Pub 9! Can't wait to get back online to really participate in the project. It's a major bummer I can't connect yesterday/today, but no major complaints or issues from my end; patience is the best virtue, especially for us Padawan learners on SWG (;

Thank you, again, to all the devs, for all your hard work! You guys don't get paid enough to put up with our crap (or at all, for that matter hehe)!

Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    Just my opinion here
    Devs are gambling when it comes to save a 5year old DB.
    That being said, i honestly dunno the reasoning behind saying " its a test server, we need to preserve the data like it was"
    It might not be a coincidence to have the HDD fails when merging pub 9 on Bas.
    Saving the data as it was, do not insure that more problems will arise or not.
    Best course of action to a TEST server is not saving memories or fortunes, is to take the proper actions to achieve the main goal.
    With a Clean DB and a Pub 9 merge, has the benefit that, bugs that are reported after, have no association to a recovered DB.
    Again this is my opinion, and has no purpose of trolling, just my POV.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryjarob View Post
    OMG I lol'd at that one AJ, thx!! rolfmao!!... great foods BTW...

*Czar-Mart*drop off vendor located at: /way -4298 5462 Insane, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by deadshadow View Post
    Just my opinion here
    That being said, i honestly dunno the reasoning behind saying " its a test server, we need to preserve the data like it was"
    Best course of action to a TEST server is not saving memories or fortunes, is to take the proper actions to achieve the main goal.
    With a Clean DB and a Pub 9 merge, has the benefit that, bugs that are reported after, have no association to a recovered DB.
    They've mentioned before some bugs came from year old data, they also need this as a stress test for when Suncrusher is out. If this happened to Suncrusher they would attempt to fix that to, this is a good trail run.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    It is also a decent test of backup code and policies. There is more to the project than a simple working server. What is learned here may be very useful down the road to less experienced server admins when SWGEmu 1.0 is released.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by deadshadow View Post
    Just my opinion here
    I like this idea. I don't know everything that would be lost in a wipe but I personally just like the idea of a clean slate for everyone to start a new. I just hope if a wipe happens the devs don't lose years of work. I would hate for all their hard work to be gone.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    /shrug
    I'm logged in right now.

Edit: I don't appear to have lost.... much or anything. Maybe a day?
    Last edited by jharmison; 08-12-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Alright folks, update time. We've managed a recovery of the database and we've got everything copied over to our new SSD's. We're letting Bas run for the weekend as a stress test on the database to ensure there is no corruption that didn't pop up initially. This means that for this weekend, Basilisk is going to remain on Publish 8. We're looking to give the Publish 9 merge another shot on Monday, assuming all goes well over the next 48 hours. We'll update regarding Pub9 closer to monday when we know for sure.

In the meantime, continue on Basilisk as you normally would. We'll be keeping an eye out on our side for any potential stability issues.

Keep in mind that we're still doing integrity checks on the database, if we run into any database corruption between now and then it's very likely that any progress you make this weekend will be lost when we revert to a backup. This is not guaranteed to occur, but be aware that it is definitely a possibility.
    Last edited by Miztah; 08-12-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Miztah
    Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    miztah@swgemu.com | How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miztah View Post
    Alright folks, update time. We've managed a recovery of the database and we've got everything copied over to our new SSD's. We're letting Bas run for the weekend as a stress test on the database to ensure there is no corruption that didn't pop up initially. This means that for this weekend, Basilisk is going to remain on Publish 8. We're looking to give the Publish 9 merge another shot on Monday, assuming all goes well over the next 48 hours. We'll update regarding Pub9 closer to monday when we know for sure.

In the meantime, continue on Basilisk as you normally would. We'll be keeping an eye out on our side for any potential stability issues.

Keep in mind that we're still doing integrity checks on the database, if we run into any database corruption between now and then it's very likely that any progress you make this weekend will be lost when we revert to a backup. This is not guaranteed to occur, but be aware that it is definitely a possibility.
    First, thank you so much for your hard work and your team. Second, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WIPE THE DANG SERVER!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miztah View Post
    Great work regardless, everyone involved. It's nice to know that we probably won't be running around with sticks when Pub9 drops.

Closed Thread

Thread Information