Closed Thread

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Hybrid View

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel76 View Post
    Well it doesn't really need a bunch of blind, gullible sycophants shilling for what appears to be a total failure of foresight and competence, either.

And you can't can't keep screaming "this is a free service", when this "free service" operates on donations made in good faith to maintain the hardware, and to prevent a catastrophic event such as a double hard drive failure from possibly happening. I mean, I could (and do) expect something like that from the smaller servers out there, but you can't deny that this one is a little (a lot) better funded than those.

Sure, it could be just an unhappy coincidence. But a wipe on the most competently-run and well-funded server within mere days of a wipe on not one, but two other of the biggest satellite EMU projects? Right on the very eve of the publish that everyone (including the thousands who haven't logged into Basilisk in years) has been eagerly awaiting? I'm sorry, but the odds of that being a coincidence are more than a trillion-to-one.

Like I said, I don't mind a wipe. But I do mind having smoke blown up my butt. And if it were just me feeling this right now, then yeah, I could understand being accused of being an entitled whiner. But it's not just me. Read all the comments, not just the ones that align with your narrative and argument. Something is fishy about this.

And as for the person who asked why I'm even commenting since I don't play on Basilisk, let me tell you something. I'm just as curious and interested about this project as you are, and just because you log in 2 toons and turn on /afk macros every day doesn't give you any more entitlement to post here than me or anyone else.
    Go back and read your posts from the last 3 years and tell me why I should care about anything you have to say. Angry little man lol

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Avelek View Post
    Go back and read your posts from the last 3 years and tell me why I should care about anything you have to say. Angry little man lol
    I'm not asking you to care. I bet you'll care if it turns out to be true though.

And I hope it's not. I hope I'm wrong. But you simply cannot deny, whether you care or not, that it's just too big a coincidence to not be suspect.

At any rate, it's a lesson to everyone involved with this project. If the official EMU server can "accidentally" wipe......then ANY server can "accidentally" wipe. So don't be fooled by anyone who tries to tell you "our server will NEVER wipe".

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm not asking you to care. I bet you'll care if it turns out to be true though.

And I hope it's not. I hope I'm wrong. But you simply cannot deny, whether you care or not, that it's just too big a coincidence to not be suspect.

At any rate, it's a lesson to everyone involved with this project. If the official EMU server can "accidentally" wipe......then ANY server can "accidentally" wipe. So don't be fooled by anyone who tries to tell you "our server will NEVER wipe".
    Your argument has merit, but equally, if you're pushing the most anticipated publish possibly since the start of this project, you want a lot of people to test it and give feedback ASAP. Wiping the server is going to delay feedback by months.

I reckon that just as many people will come back to the game for Pub 9 as would do for a server wipe, so I get the feeling its in the best interests of the devs in moving this project forward to restore the databases, rather than some ulterior motive to wipe the server. My belief is that they told us a wipe was possible was more of a 'full disclosure' type deal to be transparent with us that it is a possible option if the databases are not recoverable.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Huge thanks to everyone on the team for the work you're putting in to fix this!!

Also thanks for keeping us updated
    Last edited by BlackStarWizard; 08-10-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive

Who is trying to fool anyone though?
    |Finalizer| Jeffster Jeff - Master Doctor | JeffsterI Jeff - Melee Stacker

Play Stats
    Inactive

You should be a movie critic for a living, because clearly you arent unhappy enough with your life, or the world at large. Willing to bet almost everyone here would come to terms with a wipe whether it be accidental or on purpose in probably 2 hours on login. Sure we'd be disappointed but just being alive in the community again would dispel all of that. That is something you clearly never had the opportunity to experience or you wouldnt be this bitter. Make some friends dude

Closed Thread

Thread Information