Closed Thread
Page 17 of 56 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.
    Miztah
    Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    miztah@swgemu.com | How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miztah View Post
    Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.
    You and all the team rock!

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    If you can only manage to get 2 toons per account back and none of the adk's or character data thats ok we will forgive you

Play Stats
    Inactive
    My take on this is that Basilisk is a test server. Although we are all playing on it like it was a regular server, it isn't. Its available so that we can test things and get the best
    working version of the code possible. I am very very thankful to the folks working on this project for bringing back a game I love intensely.

Its frustrating to think that I might lose all the characters I have built up, the progress they have made and might have to restart the projects I was engaged in from scratch,
    lose a lot of things I had build up in my inventory, but I knew that day would come at some point with Suncrusher in the future, so if they are unable to restore the data,
    and have to do a wipe, I will deal with it.

In some ways a wipe is a good thing, in others not. If they wipe and come back up with a smaller limit on characters, say 3 per account, or perhaps 4, then the economy
    will benefit considerably. People will be forced to interact the way the game was designed to work, and I suspect a lot of people might return because of it. If they bring it
    back up with the same 10 character limit then I think we will see the same problems reoccur that we had until it went down. I think that would be a mistake, as much as I
    would miss some of the characters I have created and would be unable to recreate.
    Vikko, Jhonto, Tsotsi, Shango, Janya, Gurdun, Rafe, Sa'ahanaia, Chaallo & Dawkk

Play Stats
    Inactive
    geeze. a 300GB database for such a small player base. :-) a wipe would be a blessing.
    i bet we would see some kind of performance improvements...
    most of the data in the DB is probably dead data anyways

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikko View Post
    My take on this is that Basilisk is a test server. Although we are all playing on it like it was a regular server, it isn't. Its available so that we can test things and get the best
    working version of the code possible. I am very very thankful to the folks working on this project for bringing back a game I love intensely.

Its frustrating to think that I might lose all the characters I have built up, the progress they have made and might have to restart the projects I was engaged in from scratch,
    lose a lot of things I had build up in my inventory, but I knew that day would come at some point with Suncrusher in the future, so if they are unable to restore the data,

In some ways a wipe is a good thing, in others not. If they wipe and come back up with a smaller limit on characters, say 3 per account, or perhaps 4, then the economy
    will benefit considerably. People will be forced to interact the way the game was designed to work, and I suspect a lot of people might return because of it. If they bring it
    back up with the same 10 character limit then I think we will see the same problems reoccur that we had until it went down. I think that would be a mistake, as much as I
    would miss some of the characters I have created and would be unable to recreate.
    I know the pain I have exceptional thats adk'd full suits of ris, psg's, back packs full of factor crates of all different foods, just got done getting a shuttleport down in my city on naboo, which has taken about 6months total to get sense we placed the city, but its all for the better! https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706 really puts it into perspective its a shame the admins wouldn't give it the time of day.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Id love to start again on a fresh server, it would feel like being back in the best days of SWG and well worth losing everything for!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikko View Post

Literally the best post I've read so far.
    I agree with the 3 or 4 characters per account for the economy purposes and to play the game the way it was designed. But I think we'll realistically still have the 10 toons per account rule applied even if there is a wipe on the server. I can only juggle 2 with the lack of time I can get to play, so it wouldn't effect me at all. But it'll make people think before making big changes or plans with their characters.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Yeah, I had 10 characters, not only because it helped me with playing the game and I could be more independent, but because I wanted to do as much testing as possible.
    However, realistically, you can't play that many characters and do adequate testing on their professions all that effectively. Lowering the number of character slots by
    half or more wouldn't really reduce the amount of testing being done in my opinion, it would mean that each character played gets more time in play and can thus be more
    useful as a test. Although lots of us are not really testing anything, we are just playing, some of us are finding bugs and making reports to get them fixed down the road.
    The more of that which goes on the better. I know for some people reporting a bug that is useful to them is completely anathema - the only mantra of
    "Exploit early, exploit often" rather than reporting is probably the way some people view things. I remember the credit and item duping bugs we had at release on Live.
    I found at least one of them and rather than using it, reported it and it was fixed. As much as I enjoy playing the game immensely, I am here to try to get it remade properly,
    not seek some advantage in a virtual world.

I think the original 1 character per server is unreasonable here, because we don't have multiple Basilisk servers to choose from. 2 characters isn't quite enough either, so
    I would like to see 4 characters per server, with a limit of 2 online at a time. This would still force me to make choices but give me the option to play a variety of characters
    and professions. To me the greatest joy of this game is the community it creates, I think that will be necessarily strengthened by reducing the number of characters per server,
    and I doubt that the quality of testing will actually suffer all that much.
    Vikko, Jhonto, Tsotsi, Shango, Janya, Gurdun, Rafe, Sa'ahanaia, Chaallo & Dawkk

CSR
    Play Stats
    609h last 30d
    Thanks for the update Miztah (and Vlada before him).

Anybody else notice the client is now listing Basilisk as "loading"? [7:38am est]
    Jaws
    CSR

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post

Anybody else notice the client is now listing Basilisk as "loading"? [7:38am est]
    Yeah, maybe they´re testing if the server is loading up. Took quite a while now.
    Whaz Jory, Darrah Jory, Xicho Jory

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Hmm. Pretty sure this can't be right. But the website and the launcher says that Basilisk is loading. :-/ lol

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by barrylw65 View Post
    Hmm. Pretty sure this can't be right. But the website and the launcher says that Basilisk is loading. :-/ lol
    Miz said not to think much of it on discord

Edit:

Miztah Today at 8:19 PM
    Don't read too far into it.

Last edited by algebuckina; 08-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    algebuckina
    Event Coordinator Intern

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the transparency and communication. I guess that no one is as disappointed as those on the development team. From that perspective, no apology is needed. Keep up the good work and come what may. I'm happy to be a part of the project in a "player" capacity and looking forward to assisting in the next stage of it's development. If that entails a wipe back to day 0, it can only benefit the project in the long run.

May the force (of our determination to bring SWG to the masses) be with us!

/salute

Located outside Keren, Naboo /way 1984 1356
    ** Resource Sale Ongoing Now! **

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We really appreciate the effort.

Closed Thread

Thread Information