Closed Thread
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by PigGeneral View Post
    See that's the thing, if you design a system in that a single HDD failure is the end of it, you have failed in your design.

It's a fair question to ask why more money is the solution to this.

Was it the EMU is unable to afford appropriate redundancy? If that's the case, say so.
    Turns out it was a double HDD failure.
    On a testing/Beta system that was promised to be wiped since day one.
    Redundancy and recovery would not be my top priorities either. Even less considering the fact that the product is functionally not where I'd want it to be.

Rather it happens now and they learn from it. (That is pretty much the reason behind Basilisk) then have it happening on Suncrusher.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomswake View Post
    *So what do donations go towards then?*

I would imagine a lot of things, development being at the top of the list.
    Actually no, development is free. If you're interested, you can check some of our yearly financial reports, that should give you the good idea what money is being spent on. Which reminds me, I am late with the new one, ill have to post it once we have Bas up and running again.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would love to help with the coding part. But the last time I did any was on an atari 800 XL. so I DONT think I qualify unfortunately. *Chuckles*

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm not a developer nor will I pretend to be one.

But I can tell you as a person who has been in many management and problem solving positions over 40 years, that even with a volunteer project there would be expenses.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Had we known we would have replaced it. This isn't a situation where we made a conscious decision to ignore a broken HDD.

**** happens, in our case its a massive amount of ****, but oh well, what's done is done. Instead of throwing blame, which btw will change absolutely nothing, we need to roll up our sleeves and start shoveling it.
    I'm not blaming anyone.

"While doing a routine backup before the merge one of the HDD's died, unfortunately that was the second one we lost in a matter of weeks."

This leads me to believe a new HDD could have been purchased prior to this merge but it wasn't. I'm not against the wipe, I'm asking why the HDD drive that died weeks ago was not replaced before arguably the most significant patch to date. Which in my mind is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Just wipe and move forward.
    Item drop-off: Corellia -4493 -2412 (near Tyrena)

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    You'd have to ask the host of the DB. Is that Denver or Dallas? I forget.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Whatever you guys (devs) find easiest is fine with me. A wipe would be nice to clear out all the abandoned structures.
    Also allow whatever resources I get to suddenly become server best.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    So, it's really sad how many (myself included), hope that the HDD dying doesn't affect the project progress, but does force a wipe. Heh that would be maybe the most exciting SWGEMU update for me in years

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by zazano View Post
    I'm not blaming anyone.

"While doing a routine backup before the merge one of the HDD's died, unfortunately that was the second one we lost in a matter of weeks."

This leads me to believe a new HDD could have been purchased prior to this merge but it wasn't. I'm not against the wipe, I'm asking why the HDD drive that died weeks ago was not replaced before arguably the most significant patch to date. Which in my mind is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.
    I agree. A wipe on purpose is one thing, a wipe because of mismanaged data is quite another.

Once is never, twice is always. Is there going to be a next time?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Support the team not matter what happens, been here this long, will be here as long as i can..

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Same here Dom. Its a game not the end of life. It simply is what it is. So why complain.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by PigGeneral View Post
    I agree. A wipe on purpose is one thing, a wipe because of mismanaged data is quite another.

Once is never, twice is always. Is there going to be a next time?
    You're gonna have to stick around to find out.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by zazano View Post
    I'm not blaming anyone.

Hindsight is always 20/20, if they were going into this merger thinking something is going to mess up I'm pretty sure they would replace it. But I'm sure they thought it would be a routine merge and all would go well.

But it didn't and now they get to hear from all you guys, which I'm sure is one thing they don't ever look forward to

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Duloh View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20, if they were going into this merger thinking something is going to mess up I'm pretty sure they would replace it. But I'm sure they thought it would be a routine merge and all would go well.

But it didn't and now they get to hear from all you guys, which I'm sure is one thing they don't ever look forward to
    Oh we do. That is always the highlight of any hardware failure.

Closed Thread

Thread Information