Closed Thread
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    1094h last 30d
    Well, Basilisk is here since 2012. It was a long run. I welcome the new Patch 9 and eventually a wipe. Unfortunately I had no time to take a picture of my 10-toon family all togheter ...8 of which LD
    Good job Devs. As always!
    Opith

Play Stats
    Inactive

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Superser View Post
    Well, Basilisk is here since 2012. It was a long run. I welcome the new Patch 9 and eventually a wipe. Unfortunately I had no time to take a picture of my 10-toon family all togheter ...8 of which LD
    Good job Devs. As always!
    Opith
    Screen grab from login screen

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm curious why someone decided it was a good idea to not use donations to replace the HDD drive lost a week before and go ahead with the update.

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Just incase it does wipe i've grabbed screenshots of my character so I can recreate him :P

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by zazano View Post
    I'm curious why someone decided it was a good idea to not use donations to replace the HDD drive lost a week before and go ahead with the update.
    There is no acceptable answer in this day and age. The concept of losing your DB backup is where I'd laugh someone out of an interview.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by PigGeneral View Post
    There is no acceptable answer in this day and age. The concept of losing your DB backup is where I'd laugh someone out of an interview.
    This could have been prevented if they just installed Gentoo.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    As a trader with stock, accumulated resource and a customer base, a wipe is a painful thought. But if it must be it must be.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by PigGeneral View Post
    Then again funding for the project is in the toilet. Be glad this project is still on its feet. Everyone should take this opportunity to cough up $20-50.
    Jervin [J] Industries
    Master Smuggler
    Master Weaponsmith 20/25/25
    Drop-off vendor: 2148 -4722 outside Mos Eisley

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervin View Post
    Then again funding for the project is in the toilet. Be glad this project is still on its feet. Everyone should take this opportunity to cough up $20-50.
    Agreed

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The wipe isn't what upsets me. It's unfortunate but that's okay, its a test server. But there's no good reason not to have proper backup practices in place these days. 3-2-1 rule is the way to go. 3 copies, 2 physical devices, 1 remote. Lots of free software to do it too.

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I have no issue coughing up a few more space bucks if we need it. Need to increase my gold bar count anyway.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Why is donating more money the answer? I'm asking why this patch was pushed without purchasing a new HDD drive.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Would it go to an infrastructure engineer that has worked in the real world in the last 20 years? Is there a price breakdown of how donations are spent? This is a pretty big "whoopsie" for me to open my wallet on the heels of.

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I was under the impression the Basilisk server was a hosted machine at some datacenter in Dallas. A blown hard drive I would think would have been taken care of by the host and not necessarily something the buyer had to cough up extra for. But, hard drives are cheap.

What I'm confused on is you did lose the raid, throwing in a new hard drive and restoring it from a prior backed up image should be much easier than waiting and praying for a recovery operation to happen. At worst you'd lose... a day? Unless someone was slacking on the normally accepted backup practices.

At any rate, a wipe now vs one later, doesn't really change the grand scheme of it all going away anyways.

But yeah... check your drives at home kids. It's not fun.

Also, wtf, when was the last time I posted here? Been a while.

Closed Thread

Thread Information