Closed Thread
Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ebayne View Post
    I keep seeing a lot of junk about economies and interdependence.

That would mean a lot more if this were a game.

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.

Exactly. It's not a game, it's a test. A wipe now, right when jedi was apparently going in just means that the whole testing process will take that much longer. I was going to say a lot more but why bother. The unreasonable aren't going to pay attention anyway. lol

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post

It's why game developers actively encourage more people to just sit down and play.

They may give them a list of things that players should actively seek out to test. But they also encourage them to just run around and have fun, .
    We do both methods yep. Just yesterday alone, with at one point having over 150 players logged into TCNova at once (we usually average 10-20) , most of whom had never even been on Nova before much less interacted with us before and therefore had varying degrees of 'orange-hawtpants tightness' , we were able to uncover 4 new bugs & an exploit.

Yet another example of why I wouldn't trade our wacky Community for any other in the Galaxy.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    Perhaps the SWGEMU devs could learn a thing or two from the way actual paid developers run their alpha/beta testing phases.
    Of course, but sometimes it's more important to learn what not to do. SOE

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by dannuic View Post

There was also a server called Liberator sometime just before the OR hit.
    ahhh the good ole days of targettable lairs 120m high up in the air , jedi 'rumors', and when you had to write a /pause 1 walk macro just to be able to move

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    users still allowed post in here? trawling thru the posts to see if anything useful is quite a PITA.

+1

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fissile View Post
    users still allowed post in here? trawling thru the posts to see if anything useful is quite a PITA.

+1
    LOL I liked your suggestion.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Fissile View Post

+1
    You realize they are updating the first post with the latest information, right?

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by nee2earth View Post
    We do both methods yep. Just yesterday alone, with at one point having over 150 players logged into TCNova at once (we usually average 10-20) , most of whom had never even been on Nova before much less interacted with us before and therefore had varying degrees of 'orange-hawtpants tightness' , we were able to uncover 4 new bugs & an exploit.

Yet another example of why I wouldn't trade our wacky Community for any other in the Galaxy.
    -----

Of course, but sometimes it's more important to learn what not to do. SOE

-----------

ahhh the good ole days of targettable lairs 120m high up in the air , jedi 'rumors', and when you had to write a /pause 1 walk macro just to be able to move
    Get on your swoop travel 100 meters rubber band back 75 meters. 3 minits to create a synthetic cloth

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by masrao View Post
    You realize they are updating the first post with the latest information, right?
    :O

darn....

Play Stats
    Inactive
    But that doesn't include all of the wonderful messages from Vlada.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Is it possible to keep everyone updated with the status each day?

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by sportkid0606 View Post
    Is it possible to keep everyone updated with the status each day?
    As far as i know the status updates are on the home page of the forum in green letters other than that vlada posts in here

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Indeed. When best possible info warrants. Lets be patient.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Treck View Post
    But that doesn't include all of the wonderful messages from Vlada.
    Very true. Those are the best part of the whole thread anyway.

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Very true. Those are the best part of the whole thread anyway.
    But he dont like compliments send him some cash or a present and he might allow you to buy him a drink

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post

Some of these guys are having trouble reading the words, they don't do too good at the readin" but I can tell you are obviously above that and will come around to our 2 toon ideology and help spread the word!

Obviously players on the EMU are for more advanced then live players in terms of Knowledge, please come back with at least a good argument!
    Insulting people is no way to promote a discussion or persuade people to your line of thinking. Its a great way to make enemies and people dislike you and stop listening to anything you have to say. Stop that. I for one will never take you seriously if you continue to treat people that way and if these forums have the ability to block messages from certain users. You will be my first addition to that block list.

I think with such a small server 2 characters is not enough to promote the gathering and crafting economy. Many of you say oh its so broken. Apparently you don't remember live when desirable resources sold for 100 to 500 per unit and a decent cheap crates of brandy were a 100k or more.

As far as I can tell, especially with the uptick to 100 or so connections on Nova, there is zero point in changing the toon count policy right now, even if there is a wipe. It will not encourage database bloat to limit the number of toons and characters that people have available to them so that those problems can be addressed and solved before the final wipe. The active player base is simply not there to build up database bloat with only 2 characters a per account.

While I don't know the details of the problems the Emu team is trying to solve with the Db, I do know a few things about development and hardware. SSD's wear over time and their capacity shrinks naturally until they fail completely. Data constantly moves around on SSD's due to a built feature called wear leveling. SO, you could have a 400GB SSD, and after a year that SSD dependent on use and workflow may only be 300GB due to wear and tear. This server afaik is many years old. If those 400GB SSD's are that old and supporting a 300GB Db, that wearing and loss of drive space is likely what caused the failure and was a valuable test and lesson learned for the team running Basilisk. I'd say this is very educational for them. If that's not what happened, its still been a very educational lesson learned.

Personally, I prefer dealing with those bots, over players for buffs. I don't need every interaction to be a chance to chat with someone, but I do need buffs to go grind out certain types of XP. Changing rules to reduce stress on the system, reduce afk bots, and encourage more real players with less toons logged in does not make for a stronger and more resilient server when the Emu team finally makes it to a live release. You want that bloat, and load, and stress, because that's where in my experience as a developer the interesting bugs and design flaws start showing themselves. If players can't provide that and they have had years to come back then let let there be bots and multiple logins and more than 2 toons per account.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Lol we need the server, as before or wiped, people are clearly bored.

Closed Thread

Thread Information