Closed Thread
Page 33 of 56 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtheory View Post
    Agreed

Maybe you start out with a combat toon and build up your crafter, then once you got your trade down and your buying and selling and wheeling and dealing your combat character might retire and follow her dream of dancing in the theed cantina in a all alien dance troop!

Just think of the possibility and the storys and experience your ent would have from her previous profession!
    Yeah I have done that. My toon Jhonto on live mastered almost all of the professions over time. The problem is I have a plan, and that plan involves certain combinations of professions
    Now I can execute that plan if I have enough characters, or I can try to enlist someone else to help me, but the problem is that I play at odd hours of the day due to my work
    schedule, so I hope I get sufficient characters to play the game I want to play, rather than having to constantly drop and remaster the same professions again and again. I can live with
    two toons but its going to be very inconvenient to me generally speaking. We shall see if a wipe is even necessary, and then no doubt have this exact same combination when
    Suncrusher comes live :P
    Vikko, Jhonto, Tsotsi, Shango, Janya, Gurdun, Rafe, Sa'ahanaia, Chaallo & Dawkk

Play Stats
    130h last 30d
    going to suck starting over but if it means a level playing field and we all get a chance to kill every mob with out OP players controlling the spawn!

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikko View Post
    Yeah I have done that. My toon Jhonto on live mastered almost all of the professions over time. The problem is I have a plan, and that plan involves certain combinations of professions
    Now I can execute that plan if I have enough characters, or I can try to enlist someone else to help me, but the problem is that I play at odd hours of the day due to my work
    schedule, so I hope I get sufficient characters to play the game I want to play, rather than having to constantly drop and remaster the same professions again and again. I can live with
    two toons but its going to be very inconvenient to me generally speaking. We shall see if a wipe is even necessary, and then no doubt have this exact same combination when
    Suncrusher comes live :P
    I hope they don't have to wipe but in my experience data recovery from down hard drive has never gone well )-=< If they do decide to wipe I am making it my mission in star wars life to try to sway the minds of everyone to lower the toon limit, its more likely they will lower to 5 which isn't good enough! but it is some progress and you really gotta take what you can get!

Play Stats
    130h last 30d
    we have a plan to going to try and do something with like 20 of us in guild. your welcome to help us get a working cedits farm machine up and running. we were having everyone level an artizen x/x/x/4 at first start collecting a working resource pile.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Obviously players on the EMU are for more advanced then live players in terms of Knowledge
    If you really think that a design choice from 2003 that, considering the amount of people with multiple accounts, did not work so well back then would work without a hitch in 2017.
    Well, I beg to differ.

Play Stats
    130h last 30d
    well if stress testing the server is the goal then they should let us have 2 afk toons and 2 active ones. by making it so no one can AFK buff for instance then no one can really do anything unless there is an active doctor on line or a entertainer.
    if you think someone is going to at the keys a dancer all day your high.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    OK ok - we get it. You want a wipe and 2 toons. Can we just leave the thread now for actual updates instead of people pushing their own agendas (yes, i realize the irony of this statement)?
    Completely agree. 33 pages of jaw-wagging with only like 3 or 4 official updates
    drop off vendor Tatooine /waypoint 1882 -5008

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by DDSilver View Post
    If you really think that a design choice from 2003 that, considering the amount of people with multiple accounts, did not work so well back then would work without a hitch in 2017.
    Well, I beg to differ.
    What is the amount of multiple accounts, you seem to know? Could you please give us a number? Oh you can't well thanks for your empty statistic.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by DDSilver View Post
    Well, I beg to differ.
    Oh no doubt it needs some changes and improvements, but those can only come after they have built the game to 14.1 (or whatever) levels and gotten the whole thing functioning
    at that level. Once that happens and we get Suncrusher, I expect we can start seeing what improvements can be made to the game to make it better than the original.
    There were problems all along and the original devs made choices to fix those that unfortunately gave us the CU, and further improvements made during the NGE. I didn't like
    either of the later versions of course, but there were elements of those that could be added to this version of the game that would be distinct improvements. House packup
    comes to mind for instance.
    Vikko, Jhonto, Tsotsi, Shango, Janya, Gurdun, Rafe, Sa'ahanaia, Chaallo & Dawkk

Play Stats
    261h last 30d
    I keep seeing a lot of junk about economies and interdependence.

That would mean a lot more if this were a game.

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.
    Last edited by ebayne; 08-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    Manky Fundoshi
    Necesito Practicar
    Accepting Ranger Contracts

Play Stats
    Inactive
    No no no you got it all wrong, so you say you tested Smuggler and bh and ch and all that sorta stuff, well what stopped you from testing it on the nova test center? How many more players aren't going to test because they don't want to play on a 10 character server? You See I think you could benifit from some light reading: https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

Some of these guys are having trouble reading the words, they don't do too good at the readin" but I can tell you are obviously above that and will come around to our 2 toon ideology and help spread the word!
    I use Nova for specific testing of abilites, specials, modifiers. Things you can log in, spec out, and test in a few minutes. That is not through testing of anything. To actually test a profession, you really need to play it. It's why so many bugs make it into live games. Because players just do random things that you would never think to actually test. Not to mention that you only have access to the most basic of items on the blue frogs, and need to craft more advanced stuff if you really want to test beyond the most basic of testing.

I think a wipe and char limits would bring back a more active population. I think the devs discount the value in that. But I also think that we still need flexibility to be able to play around with classes we wouldn't normally play. And that requires more than two chars. 10 is too much. 2 is not enough. What is ideal? I don't know. But I think those two options are too extreme for a test server that needs an active player base.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    I use Nova for specific testing of abilites, specials, modifiers. Things you can log in, spec out, and test in a few minutes. That is not through testing of anything. To actually test a profession, you really need to play it. It's why so many bugs make it into live games. Because players just do random things that you would never think to actually test. Not to mention that you only have access to the most basic of items on the blue frogs, and need to craft more advanced stuff if you really want to test beyond the most basic of testing.

I think a wipe and char limits would bring back a more active population. I think the devs discount the value in that. But I also think that we still need flexibility to be able to play around with classes we wouldn't normally play. And that requires more than two chars. 10 is too much. 2 is not enough. What is ideal? I don't know. But I think those two options are too extreme for a test server that needs an active player base.
    But why can't you actually play those class's on nova? You don't have to use the frog to learn the skills.

I bet you went imperial, stormcloaks were the right choice btw.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by terribleoneace View Post
    Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game.
    Lol, get a load of this internet tough guy wanting to protect his test server fortunes.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    What is the amount of multiple accounts, you seem to know? Could you please give us a number? Oh you can't well thanks for your empty statistic.
    I do not know.
    I know the amount was significant enough for Raph Koster to figure out how many accounts a unique player had, but unfortunately he did not disclose the results.

I also know, but this is solely personal experience, that virtually every high end crafter on EU-infinity had more then one account.

And don't get me wrong, I agree with the problem that you see. 10 slots is wrecking the economy.
    However, if you are wrong, and 2 characters prove to be insufficient to support the player services infrastructure, you might wreck the whole game.

I'd rather that does not happen.

"Retired" SWGEmu Staff risenangel's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ebayne View Post
    I keep seeing a lot of junk about economies and interdependence.

That would mean a lot more if this were a game.

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.
    just leaving this quote here for people to read over again.
    Kyada <BoS>
    Everything I ever did was about pushing the project forward.

Closed Thread

Thread Information