Closed Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.
    The community is not divided though - a quick read through the responses on this thread show the overwhelming majority of people are in favour of a wipe and those whining about it have forum accounts with sign ups from a week ago or are posting for the first time in this thread.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.
    more information is preferable to less. Without updates there would be so much speculation with little to no fact. threads blaming everything from hardware malfunctions to ninja attacks would be sprouting up like weeds. I thank the dev team for keeping us informed
    drop off vendor Tatooine /waypoint 1882 -5008

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel76 View Post
    TL;DR alot of stuff
    Honestly, I've been a long time player and while not being able to get on to SWG (again) is giving me cold sweats, itchy skin, and shocking realizations of shirked responsibilities, I'm not going to be so judgemental of the people who have blessed our lives with the game that none of us can get away from, whether it be from the kindness of their heart or the need for space shekels. One of the devs posted stating that merely naivety is to blame here. This entire development team has been through alot, has put up with alot, and will continue forging forward no matter what. Hardware fails, Murphy's law is in full effect, and [stuff] does indeed happen.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kalindrel View Post
    Honestly, I've been a long time player and while not being able to get on to SWG (again) is giving me cold sweats, itchy skin, and shocking realizations of shirked responsibilities, I'm not going to be so judgemental of the people who have blessed our lives with the game that none of us can get away from, whether it be from the kindness of their heart or the need for space shekels. One of the devs posted stating that merely naivety is to blame here. This entire development team has been through alot, has put up with alot, and will continue forging forward no matter what. Hardware fails, Murphy's law is in full effect, and [stuff] does indeed happen.
    Yeah, yeah, their struggle is real...

And that is exactly the kind of rhetoric Stella Bellum's shills spewed right up until they found out that they had no intention of even launching a live server.

What you have to understand is that a lot of people are getting fed up with all these emu-based (and nge-based) server admins and devs lying to them all the time. And it's a little jarring to witness some pretty compelling evidence that it may be currently happening on the flagship server as well. And in my book, "blessing our lives" with a 14 year old video game doesn't give them free reign to tell porkies to the community, especially when money is involved.

Also, if you didn't even read my post (as the snarky TL;DR implies), then why are you even replying to it?
    Last edited by flugel76; 08-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I just took to time to read every post in this thread, and no one is giving them a "bad time". You are projecting a false narrative. A small number of players have simply voiced their frustration, and then said "oh well, let's get back up and do it again".

The issue isn't a wipe. The vast majority of Basilisk's at the keyboard population have wanted a wipe for at least 3 years. Personally, a wipe is the only thing that would entice me back to Basilisk. As best as I can tell, the only members of this community who are currently outraged are the afk farmers and the pvpers who troll each other on Reddit all the time. No one cares about them, anyway.

You're trying to lump in the members of this community asking valid questions about why Publish 9 was pushed on the very heels a KNOWN hardware failure, followed by a catastrophic 2nd failure, into an imaginary group of players who are nerdraging about a wipe. That's not what's happening here. People are concerned (and justly so) not about the prospect of a wipe, but rather about how a server with a failsafe in place could have possibly failed in this regard, and the answering we're getting right now from devs and staff is "meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.

Personally, it all feels a little hinkey to me. The odds of TWO hard drives failing at the same time of a major publish....a publish poised to bring hundreds, if not thousands of players back to the server....are astronomical. To me, it feels more like they're wiping on purpose, but they just don't want to admit it. If that's the case, then I feel like they've really underestimated the resolve of this community (unless they care more about the reddit pvpers and afk farmers who will probably ragequit). Everyone I know who plays or who once played on Basilisk WANTS a wipe. So why the deception?

Now I could be wrong about this....I've surely been wrong before about a great many things in life.......but, I don't know man.....this just feels too much like the exact same crap Stella Bellum's devs pulled when they "launched". It's just really hard for me to believe that this team of devs and staff could be THAT careless, and then be so apathetic about it. I mean, these are pretty tech savvy guys. True, you can't anticipate a hard drive failure, but you CAN make sure that both are functioning before you roll out the publish that everyone has been waiting for. It just doesn't add up. This project gets donations, and I don't really see any sense in the world why some of those donations couldn't have been used to ensure that the hard drives were both in working order before rolling out jedi. A planned wipe smokescreened by one heck of a coincidental double hard drive failure simply makes more logical sense.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here; I don't care about a wipe, and I in fact welcome one. But what I do care about is what feels like a total lack of transparency, if not downright dishonesty. Moving forward, that's going to make a lot of members of this community give pause before donating.
    A few things...

First they initially said the first hard drive that was failed was NOT KNOWN before the process was started or they would have replaced it before hand...

Second, I am a server/switch guy and having two hard drives fail about the same time on new servers and especially older servers is a lot more common place than you realize. Hence the reason so many class 100 clean room data recovery centers make money.

Third, if its a hosted server and they are not local to it but rather working remotely without an email notification or a check prior to starting the process they would not know.

Fourth, if you aren't even playing since you stated a wipe is the only thing that would bring you back why even troll the forums

Finally, be happy you even have the game to play again and stop feeling so entitled
    Last edited by FurytheOriginal; 08-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive

"meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.
    /shrug I mean it's your project, you can do what you want to with it. I just don't know why you would actively go out of your way to make yourselves look so bad on the eve of Publish 9.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Cool, Thanks for the updates and honesty.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I think it should wipe and made the suncrush server oficially online with all the data we have now, and never wipe it again
    But please, make sure it won't occur again, or probably all of us will left out it.
    Thks, it's my opinion.
    Good luck

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Wipe it out... execute order 66

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugin View Post
    Wipe it out... execute order 66
    Pick one, you can't have both.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    As a new player to this game and server I have a biased opinion but I think this update will bring enough of a change in the game that starting fresh and seeing it as a whole new game will be positive for everyone. is gnna be really harsh for those who have built an Empire and put 1000s of hours into it, but hopefully they find some excitement in being a grunt once again. (and picking new names)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    What ever happens, what ever you guys decide to do, im not going anywhere and will always be a full supporter of this project.

You guys have done an outstanding job to have got the pre-cu project to as far as you have, im just sorry this has happened and potentially wiping out all your hard work!

But if you do have to wipe and start again, I will be up there with the other true genuine supporters to get the commerce up and running again.

May the Force be with us all.
    DrNHS (ign)
    A Jack of all Trades, an Expert in None.
    Trade Vendor @ 2984 -5772; 1km outside Mos Eisley

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I wanted to create a character on Nova, in the meantime, to help with testing for bugs in career paths I'm unfamiliar with, but it appears that functionality is broken (during this downtime, specifically, I'm guessing?). ):

Here's to everything being recovered/sifted-through today and to hoping for a quick boot-up to Pub 9! Can't wait to get back online to really participate in the project. It's a major bummer I can't connect yesterday/today, but no major complaints or issues from my end; patience is the best virtue, especially for us Padawan learners on SWG (;

Thank you, again, to all the devs, for all your hard work! You guys don't get paid enough to put up with our crap (or at all, for that matter hehe)!

Play Stats
    Inactive

this loading status though :-)

kind of teasing.. you can look , but not touch.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Damn I have been putting off donating long enough looks like u guys need it now ...I don't care one way or the other really I'm only donating a couple hundred but I'm sure all helps in this time of need

Closed Thread

Thread Information