Closed Thread
Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Is it that crazy to accept that the kind of backups you'd expect to protect a live server just weren't (justifiably at that) a priority on a TEST server that we've known would eventually be wiped anyways?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I think the issue is that most people have gotten used to bask, and have forgotten that it is just a test server.
    I would think of this as a early access game, nova would be like a nightly build, bask would be the game, and suncrusher would be the final product. Expect changes some may like them some may not.
    Edit:
    We don't even know if this downage caused the server to wipe, bask is currently locked

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel76 View Post
    Well it doesn't really need a bunch of blind, gullible sycophants shilling for what appears to be a total failure of foresight and competence, either.

And you can't can't keep screaming "this is a free service", when this "free service" operates on donations made in good faith to maintain the hardware, and to prevent a catastrophic event such as a double hard drive failure from possibly happening. I mean, I could (and do) expect something like that from the smaller servers out there, but you can't deny that this one is a little (a lot) better funded than those.

Sure, it could be just an unhappy coincidence. But a wipe on the most competently-run and well-funded server within mere days of a wipe on not one, but two other of the biggest satellite EMU projects? Right on the very eve of the publish that everyone (including the thousands who haven't logged into Basilisk in years) has been eagerly awaiting? I'm sorry, but the odds of that being a coincidence are more than a trillion-to-one.

Like I said, I don't mind a wipe. But I do mind having smoke blown up my butt. And if it were just me feeling this right now, then yeah, I could understand being accused of being an entitled whiner. But it's not just me. Read all the comments, not just the ones that align with your narrative and argument. Something is fishy about this.

And as for the person who asked why I'm even commenting since I don't play on Basilisk, let me tell you something. I'm just as curious and interested about this project as you are, and just because you log in 2 toons and turn on /afk macros every day doesn't give you any more entitlement to post here than me or anyone else.

Inactive Code Contributors Loc-nar's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Loc-nar View Post
    Just like in grade school you have to show your work to get credit!! So, at this point you're getting a big fat zero!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrson View Post
    Did you just say something without including 1/10 or 10/10? I don't like it! 1/10. Wouldn't point out again.

BIG FAT ZERO OF TEN, would never grade again!

edit - don't mess with Vlada, he's out of cocaine and donations are at an all time low because of Dev Island and the price of hookers has outpaced donations as well.
    Last edited by Loc-nar; 08-10-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    -Locnar

Quote Originally Posted by Loc-nar
    Jedi don't ruin SWG, boot lickers and whiners ruin SWG.

Retired SWGEmu Staff sugarlizard's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good lord the paranoid types are out in full force. I wholly get that a good percentage of our population range from socially awkward to autism spectrum to flat out mental illness, but sometimes it's hard not to want to grab these people by the shoulders and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!" The sheer amount of entitlement and paranoid delusions both on the forums and on the community discord is quite staggering.
    Sugarlizard
    Retired SWGEmu Staff

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'm not asking you to care. I bet you'll care if it turns out to be true though.

And I hope it's not. I hope I'm wrong. But you simply cannot deny, whether you care or not, that it's just too big a coincidence to not be suspect.

At any rate, it's a lesson to everyone involved with this project. If the official EMU server can "accidentally" wipe......then ANY server can "accidentally" wipe. So don't be fooled by anyone who tries to tell you "our server will NEVER wipe".
    Your argument has merit, but equally, if you're pushing the most anticipated publish possibly since the start of this project, you want a lot of people to test it and give feedback ASAP. Wiping the server is going to delay feedback by months.

I reckon that just as many people will come back to the game for Pub 9 as would do for a server wipe, so I get the feeling its in the best interests of the devs in moving this project forward to restore the databases, rather than some ulterior motive to wipe the server. My belief is that they told us a wipe was possible was more of a 'full disclosure' type deal to be transparent with us that it is a possible option if the databases are not recoverable.

Play Stats
    Inactive

"meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.
    /shrug I mean it's your project, you can do what you want to with it. I just don't know why you would actively go out of your way to make yourselves look so bad on the eve of Publish 9.

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlizard View Post
    Good lord the paranoid types are out in full force. I wholly get that a good percentage of our population range from socially awkward to autism spectrum to flat out mental illness, but sometimes it's hard not to want to grab these people by the shoulders and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!" The sheer amount of entitlement and paranoid delusions both on the forums and on the community discord is quite staggering.
    I thought I was the only one psychotic!!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Loc-nar View Post
    BIG FAT ZERO OF TEN, would never grade again!
    You just said big fat zero, how I was supposed to know it was out of ten!? It could have been 0 out 5 or 0 out of -10! Or 0 out of -pi to i. I didn't know!

/way -200 -5678 The Mall
    Current Stock

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Huge thanks to everyone on the team for the work you're putting in to fix this!!

Also thanks for keeping us updated
    Last edited by BlackStarWizard; 08-10-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlizard View Post
    This....

Play Stats
    Inactive
    for those that are the tech savvy i need not say anything further...but for those of you speculating that it was an alterior motive behind a "possible wipe" here, take a look at this,
    https://thedatarescuecenter.com/blog...drive-failure/
    hdd's fail...common knowledge..when they fail is not recognizable, as you cant really test it yeah you can test its integrity and there are warning signs but hey ...
    whats more important instead of placing blame or the continued complaints against a "possible wipe" is the fact that this is a community, they are the dev's and they are trying to help us have
    what we once had..which was the recreation of a galaxy far far away, LIVE, many of us came from there, and many of us are hard core swg'er's , i applaud all the swgemu tema has given us and are
    working towards...just give em a break ...take it one minute at a time and hey **** happens all the time, its just like driving down the road and you end up with a flat tire, you cant place blame or complain about
    the maker not making a good enuf tire or the road having a pothole...*throws up hands in disgust....
    old wise man once say .... it will no hold water if it has a hole in it....think about that for a moment

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I pray for a server wipe so its worth my while to come back.
    "The prize is often left unclaimed. Have the courage to grasp it. For fortune always favors the bold." - General Bethlehem

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    I love how the moderator reply to "why isn't there any backups? why is a single raid-array considered the only redundancy solution? Are other solutions being considered?" when the core part of said free service is data, is condescension.

Really sets the tone for why skeptical players should donate.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Can we just ban user comments and keep it fresh for mods/Devs to post updates on the free service and how it is going. Trawling thru rage is getting tiresome.

Locked still, good lock? Bad lock? What's happening?

Closed Thread

Thread Information