Closed Thread
Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mikea View Post
    A server wiipe would probably bring back a lot of old players
    Yeah, including me. But I'd also feel sorry for people who invested a lot of time.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    lol right

Play Stats
    Inactive

this loading status though :-)

kind of teasing.. you can look , but not touch.

Play Stats
    274h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by sduk72 View Post
    I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts.
    "Life is hard; it's harder when you're stupid."
    --Plato
    Manky Fundoshi
    Necesito Practicar
    Accepting Ranger Contracts

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kalindrel View Post
    Your salt is astounding. Youre probably one of those people who demands a refund for free services then spends the entire time whining about how their competitors do it SOOOOOOO much better

This community doesn't need that attitude
    Well it doesn't really need a bunch of blind, gullible sycophants shilling for what appears to be a total failure of foresight and competence, either.

And you can't can't keep screaming "this is a free service", when this "free service" operates on donations made in good faith to maintain the hardware, and to prevent a catastrophic event such as a double hard drive failure from possibly happening. I mean, I could (and do) expect something like that from the smaller servers out there, but you can't deny that this one is a little (a lot) better funded than those.

Sure, it could be just an unhappy coincidence. But a wipe on the most competently-run and well-funded server within mere days of a wipe on not one, but two other of the biggest satellite EMU projects? Right on the very eve of the publish that everyone (including the thousands who haven't logged into Basilisk in years) has been eagerly awaiting? I'm sorry, but the odds of that being a coincidence are more than a trillion-to-one.

Like I said, I don't mind a wipe. But I do mind having smoke blown up my butt. And if it were just me feeling this right now, then yeah, I could understand being accused of being an entitled whiner. But it's not just me. Read all the comments, not just the ones that align with your narrative and argument. Something is fishy about this.

And as for the person who asked why I'm even commenting since I don't play on Basilisk, let me tell you something. I'm just as curious and interested about this project as you are, and just because you log in 2 toons and turn on /afk macros every day doesn't give you any more entitlement to post here than me or anyone else.
    Last edited by flugel76; 08-10-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Bring back pub 7 loot plz

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by sduk72 View Post
    its ok for most of you to say "yeah, wipe it" but for some of us we can't play that often or as
    often as we would like.
    I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts. Mainly because so many people are just AFK and you can't get what you need. (easier to do it yourself)
    Not sure I could do it all again, Architect, tailor, armorsmith, droidsmith, doctor and weaponsmith in particular.
    really hope it doesn't come to that but I do understand if it does.
    Maybe I could even get to have a city on tattooine instead of Lok then!
    DID he really say he's been grinding toons on three accounts....

Quote Originally Posted by Vikko View Post
    Yep, me too. Master Artisan (x2), Master Architect, Master Tailor, Master Merchant, Master Doctor (x2), (almost) Master Ranger, Master Pistoleer, Master TKA, Master Fencer
    Master Image Designer (x3), Master Musician, Master Dancer (x3), Master Chef, Master Scout (x2), Master Medic (x3 I think), (almost) Master Politician. I will lose a lot of
    work on building up all those characters, plus all the crafted stuff I have created (enough to build a spare city or two on my architect for instance), and the progress I had
    on a few other professions. So I will be disappointed if they can't restore everything for sure, but on the other hand its a test server in the end, even if it feels like a regular
    server, so I will adapt and overcome if I have to start all over again :P
    WHat him too?
    Last edited by Vlada; 08-10-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: double post

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.
    more information is preferable to less. Without updates there would be so much speculation with little to no fact. threads blaming everything from hardware malfunctions to ninja attacks would be sprouting up like weeds. I thank the dev team for keeping us informed
    drop off vendor Tatooine /waypoint 1882 -5008

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Not sure why they would wipe if they have "routine backups" as stated in the post about the hard drive failure. They could just restore one of the more recent "routine backups".

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kawflin View Post
    Not sure why they would wipe if they have "routine backups" as stated in the post about the hard drive failure. They could just restore one of the more recent "routine backups".
    Looks like they only do the "routine backup" only before they are going to do the merge and the HDD failed, apparently they don't have other backups to restore.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostphoenix View Post
    more information is preferable to less. Without updates there would be so much speculation with little to no fact. threads blaming everything from hardware malfunctions to ninja attacks would be sprouting up like weeds. I thank the dev team for keeping us informed
    That's the thing. There is no real information beyond the server being down. That's all they had to say. Hey, there's an issue with the merge, server will be down a few days. Will update when we have more information.

What would we speculate? A wipe? They've already done that for us, and look at the nonsense that gets posted in response.

I mean, they've upset people who think they're going to lose everything. And if it doesn't wipe, they'll have upset people who have wanted a wipe for years. There was literally nothing to gain by announcing a possibility of a wipe if it isn't going to actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kawflin View Post
    I've gotten the impression that they keep all their backups on the same drives. I mean, if they had another drive with an older backup, they wouldn't be announcing the possibility of a wipe. They'd know they have an older DB to work with.
    Last edited by Vlada; 08-10-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: double post

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow2kx View Post
    That's the thing. There is no real information beyond the server being down. That's all they had to say. Hey, there's an issue with the merge, server will be down a few days. Will update when we have more information.

What would we speculate? A wipe? They've already done that for us, and look at the nonsense that gets posted in response.

I mean, they've upset people who think they're going to lose everything. And if it doesn't wipe, they'll have upset people who have wanted a wipe for years. There was literally nothing to gain by announcing a possibility of a wipe if it isn't going to actually happen.
    we know that the hardware took a S***, we know that a wipe is possible, we know quite a lot. again, accurate information is preferable to inaccurate info...which the forums would be rife with had there been no official announcement
    drop off vendor Tatooine /waypoint 1882 -5008

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostphoenix View Post
    we know that the hardware took a S***, we know that a wipe is possible, we know quite a lot. again, accurate information is preferable to inaccurate info...which the forums would be rife with had there been no official announcement
    yep. people just like something to be riled up over.

wipe hype 2017!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Imo a wipe would not be that bad, plus there would be a rush for jedi which would gather a bunch of players around the themeparks.

Play Stats
    604h last 30d
    FYI - i know the server is loading for db verification from the update post by Miztah this morning at 620ish...i received a couple galaxy harvester notifications at 1049.

Closed Thread

Thread Information