Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Network upgrade

Play Stats
    Inactive
    While I have noticed some lag, the biggest lag seemed to be when entering populated areas from less-populated areas. For example, I would have minimal lag hunting in the outskirts of c-net. As soon as I got near the Cantina, I would start rubberbanding and any commands would take 20-30 seconds to take effect. However, after about a minute or so things would clear up and then I could proceed with a little bit of lag but probably < 1 second and not terribly noticeable.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Was having some insane lag in Mos Eisley today. Bazaar wouldn't come up, bank took forever to finally get money from. I kept bouncing back to somewhere I was 30 seconds before. In other populated towns I was fine and even outside of Eisley. I think I only disconnected once today.

The bouncing back to a previous spot was definitely the worst. I don't remember it this bad before today.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Lag has been very bad the last few day's i have never had this bad of lag before and it comes after you had done work on the network.

Play Stats
    63h last 30d
    Why cant we upgrade the server more, get triple what we got now.. seeing as we get more donations per month

IGN: Ledvan / Leesolo / Lenin
    Guild:

Drop off Canejo Cantina, Dant - "Ledvendor"

Play Stats
    Inactive
    We could do that, but what would be the point?

Play Stats
    63h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    We could do that, but what would be the point?
    Because the server is never stable and its always laggy

IGN: Ledvan / Leesolo / Lenin
    Guild:

Drop off Canejo Cantina, Dant - "Ledvendor"

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Both of thise are actually caused by the code itself.

CPU is working at 30%, we have loads of RAM so memory leaks are not causing the problems, we had this network upgrade so its not our connection. Only thing left is the code itself.

I'm sure that it can be tweaked and we would probably be able to reduce the lag, to a certain degree, but I don't know how time consuming that would be. I really don't want to waste any more of TheAnswer's time just so we could reduce lag, a bit. Server wont be more stable, since the code it self is prone to crashes and deadlocks.

Another server upgrade at this point would probably be a waste of money.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ledvan View Post
    Because the server is never stable and its always laggy
    Maybe you should actually donate then.
    HI MY NAME IS LOBREEZE

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobreeze View Post
    Maybe you should actually donate then.
    Agreed.

I also agree with Vlada, wouldn't be worth upgrading more when it's known that the dead code Liberator is running isn't efficient in these numbers. (Did we really get that many more people?)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    To the OP
    So what will the end user see from this change? Less lockups or better performance or higher population cap or ....?
    Last edited by Togno; 07-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Togno View Post
    To the OP
    So what will the end user see from this change? Less lockups or better performance or higher population cap or ....?
    What you see now on Liberator, which is not much.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Yes the server is running old code but has been since liberator launch, the influx of many more players at once came after the initial network upgrade and didnt take into consideration the population boom,, you can talk old code all you want but anyone with common sense knows that a bandwith taking on a significant increase in client information is going to slow down considerably.

I think were going to have to stick with this on lib for the duration of its remaining days, months as we all want beta ver 1.0 more than a lag free server
    Last edited by erminator; 07-10-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by xbitx View Post
    Agreed.

I also agree with Vlada, wouldn't be worth upgrading more when it's known that the dead code Liberator is running isn't efficient in these numbers. (Did we really get that many more people?)
    I also agree. I know we picked up a bunch of new people the past week
    Pave

Vendors just outside of CNET WP 31 -3093
    /blame

http://www.theforcebook.com/Pave

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    686h last 30d
    Time to start moving out, folks. Let's get out of Eisley and Coronet, there are plenty of other cities and planets to spend time on, many of them also have cantinas and med centers. Shoot, there are cities like Mos Espa, Doaba Guerfel, and Moenia which are freaking huge and have all of the amenities of the other major cities yet are nothing but ghost towns. Let's spread out and truly make this galaxy our own.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokaa View Post
    Time to start moving out, folks. Let's get out of Eisley and Coronet, there are plenty of other cities and planets to spend time on, many of them also have cantinas and med centers. Shoot, there are cities like Mos Espa, Doaba Guerfel, and Moenia which are freaking huge and have all of the amenities of the other major cities yet are nothing but ghost towns. Let's spread out and truly make this galaxy our own.
    Let's stay in Eisley and Cnet, and spread out in large groups to Espa, Moenia, and Doaba Guerfel, at a rate, proportionate to population growth. :P

Anyway, this network upgrade comes as welcome news to me, and a reminder that I desperately need to upgrade my own hardware to stop freezes on my side.

And all this reminds me that I just feel so bad about my too-limited coding experience.
    Ever notice how SWG looks like SWAG?

Thread Information