Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The rise, fall, and return of Star Wars Galaxies - The Daily Dot

Retired SWGEmu Staff Mistress Aerea's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
    Well sadly, I don't have any coding experience to speak of but if there is anything else then let me know.
    Testing and support are things anyone can potentially help with. Check the stickied posts at the top of this forum.
    Guild Matriarch
    Flourish <FLO>

Soon™

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Great article! I would of not minded it being a little longer. Its fantastic to read about the developers experiences and how there perception of the game has evolved over time. Im a FarStar Vet and ive been following EMU since the creation of the forums.

I Bow to the devs and the entire SWGemu community

Play Stats
    Inactive

Great read

Glad there is a way to enjoy SWG again. I sadly got the original game near the end after all the changes happened and didn't get to experience all the things people talked about. I look forward to experiencing them now. One thing that is totally true is things change when your the one working on the game. I am currently working on my own game and at the end of the development cycle I don't think I'll play it myself. Anyways glad to see this game being resurrected, keep up the great work.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    “The rule was, the best things in the game had to be made by players, and the other rule was everything had to break,”

“That sense of being part of a social fabric is missing in even most MMOs,” Koster says. “It’s just not there. We don’t have the social infrastructure for it to be able to happen. How can you be a loyal customer of a given weaponsmith in World of Warcraft? None of the infrastructure exists.”

And, like most veterans of the early days of Galaxies, Popovici eventually fell in love with the social scene, especially hanging out for hours in cantinas after a full evening of hunting other players.

Popovici only had a few months to enjoy Galaxies before the Combat Upgrade utterly transformed the game, and his friends began leaving. “Players had to restart and relearn everything they could do,” he says. “A lot of my friends didn’t want to spend months to learn the new game.” He stuck with the game for two weeks after the Combat Upgrade, but with most of his friends gone, he soon had no reason to stay either. He walked away from that virtual world.

I've been here for years and haven't been on EMU or on the forums more than a handful of times in the past couple years but saw this and these quotes really hit home for me and felt I wanted to post this. They very much speak to why I loved SWG. The way I read them is basically that the game wasn't built as just a sandbox. But basically intended to be a social playground in Star Wars. Everything built around fostering times where people would spend time TOGETHER, reliant on others. Everything had to break so that you had relationships with people (I read as intended to not be yourself on another account). As long as you have friendships in game then the game works and is amazing. When that is lost (as I feel is the biggest issue that happened with BOTH the CU and NGE) is the biggest blow to its "gameplay"

"There’s something about being on this side of the code that kind of ruins playing the game,” he says. “I know too much about how things work to actually play and be mystified by it again.” - This is my same problem and why I can't bring myself to play here anymore (might not unless jump to lightspeed comes as I just didn't spend enough time to know the ins and outs of it). But I don't really believe it is a knowledge problem itself. It's we have discovered the parts of the game that weren't ever balanced out to MAINTAIN the social aspect to the game. 90% composite didn't exist in the VERY early game (required hunting in groups EVEN FOR XP, which was maybe my fondest memory of the game. This meant needing a Doctor/CM for healing/rezzing, a scout for camps, even combat professions that became useless [state driven carbineer] were useful to the group). Doctor buffs - high ones didn't exist in the game leading to people wearing different types of armor and having players with just normal clothes in combat, along with HAM stats on weapons and armor (Weaponsmiths creating different weapons that had different HAM amounts, damage, or speed [lower HAM could be more useful than capping speed before buffs]), even specials in combat weren't always able to be spammed in combat unless you hurt yourself in another area (low base stats, no armor, lesser damage gun for low ham, etc).

Every profession had a role to play and REQUIRED cooperation with others. Prebuff/armor made parts of the game 100% inaccessible without friends. Doctors played ATK providing healing to wounds (I know I was one) at med centers. Entertainers required ATK play until macros were discovered (and guess what, with 1 character per account/server people still played them! And there isn't an excuse that the player base is smaller because as the team has pointed out many times, the population here often EXCEEDS SWG at its peak). There is COUNTLESS other examples of things like this that drive SOLO play instead of the original intended FORCED SOCIAL play. Unfortunately, I feel that it is the commitment to staying 100% true to the game (while the purest form), that may eventually cause those that really desire to have that experience again to never achieve it due to the broken endgame mechanics that the original team were never able to balance before they just scrapped the game. It's pretty clear the game wasn't intended to be group based UNTIL master elite professions existed then became a solo game.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    just another quick thing to add to that. Professions seem to be the same. I don't think it was ever the intention to make everything speed capped. It really makes no sense. I always assumed pistols were about close combat, carbines for crowd control and rifleman about heavy damage dealing from long distances. The speeds of those weapons reflected that. I think it's interesting, if you play with only master marksman there does seem to be some balance between the 3 in terms of what they do. But once you master all of them it turns into Rifleman=only viable choice

Play Stats
    Inactive
    A friend of mine sent me a link to the article. I spend Christmas Eve reading it on a smart phone and could not wait to get home login.

So nice to be back and see something that was so huge to me a decade ago. I dug out my Collectors Edition box and looked at all the swag beauty and got started on my destiny again as if it was just on a brief pause.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I truly appreciate this article Your hard work doesn't go unnoticed.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    After reading this article via Facebook, I just had to come back on and start playing again

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by shilo View Post
    What blew me away, and something that i never realized. Is that by coding you destroy the very thing that made you fall in love with SWG. It's kinda of tragic in a way.
    It is sad that the ones that loved the game enough to get all of this going have "burned themselves out" of their love, so to speak...

They entered into this hoping to revive the passion for the game they lost, and wound up losing it anyway.

From all of us who just play the game, who are not programmers, from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely thank you for all of the work you have, and continue to, put into this project.

Our "THANK YOUS" will never replace the joy of playing the game, but hopefully you can gleam some satisfaction from knowing that you have brought back so much that was once lost to all of us die-hard fans.

Star Wars Galaxies was/is a truly epic game. So epic, that not even SOE shutting it down can stop it. You are the reason for this.

again, THANK YOU!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by aland662 View Post
    it is sad that the ones that loved the game enough to get all of this going have "burned themselves out" of their love, so to speak...

They entered into this hoping to revive the passion for the game they lost, and wound up losing it anyway.

From all of us who just play the game, who are not programmers, from the bottom of my heart, i sincerely thank you for all of the work you have, and continue to, put into this project.

Our "thank yous" will never replace the joy of playing the game, but hopefully you can gleam some satisfaction from knowing that you have brought back so much that was once lost to all of us die-hard fans.

Star wars galaxies was/is a truly epic game. So epic, that not even soe shutting it down can stop it. You are the reason for this.

Again, thank you!!
    +1

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Nice read!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    great read! really loved it.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Cool article. Makes me miss the game. I haven't been here for a while, but I do think about SWG from time to time.
    I miss just going out and exploring around as a Master Ranger. I never cared to me the most "leet" or "uber" player on the server. I've not been
    able to play the EMU for a while since I'm on a mac now. Hopefully one day I can find my old discs and get another windows system. I would only get it to
    play SWG EMU. Thanks for those who continue to work on this project. Even though I haven't played, I still check up from time to time to see how things
    are going.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdragont View Post
    Cool article. Makes me miss the game. I haven't been here for a while, but I do think about SWG from time to time.
    I miss just going out and exploring around as a Master Ranger. I never cared to me the most "leet" or "uber" player on the server. I've not been
    able to play the EMU for a while since I'm on a mac now. Hopefully one day I can find my old discs and get another windows system. I would only get it to
    play SWG EMU. Thanks for those who continue to work on this project. Even though I haven't played, I still check up from time to time to see how things
    are going.
    You liked, like the majority of the most dedicated SWG people, to be the Moisture Farmer as I do.

When people say that my weapons rocks that's the best part of the game.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by nee2earth View Post
    Except that the writer neglected to include all of the rest of his very lengthy interviews from the rest of our Team.

That, imo, was an extremely disappointing omission on his part.

And consequently renders the article an inaccurate & incomplete representation.
    Perhaps someday he'll make up for it with a 'part 2' in a long series or something.

But i'm not holding my breath.
    He covered the QA lead, that basically distributes to you so don't worry.

Closed Thread

Thread Information