Closed Thread

Thread: SWGEmu AGPL Instructions and Requirements

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by na85 View Post
    Are the internals still closed-source? Engine3 or something like that?

IIRC this used to be the case, that not everything was open-source.

Did you read the announcements? And i mean this one and the one linked in the first paragraph?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Did you read the announcements? And i mean this one and the one linked in the first paragraph?
    Yes, I did but it wasn't really clear to me. I've been following this project since inception (less closely in recent years) and it has historically been very hostile to both the other development efforts and its own users. I recall there was an announcement made a few years ago that everything would be open source except for some internal library or something along those lines. Is that Engine3?

Is literally everything open source now or is there still some proprietary bull**** in there? Because if it's actually open source and Ramsay doesn't still speak in a derogatory fashion about the users, I'd consider doing some development work.

Like it just seems to be a hollow offer. If you guys are serious about open source why is there no prominent link to a github repo or something? Sounds a lot like the project is still about stroking certain people's egos. Timers to make it intentionally segfault? That's shameful, man.
    Last edited by na85; 05-31-2015 at 03:37 AM.

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    . I've been following this project since inception.

and does Ramsay still speak in a derogatory fashion about the users? Timers to make it intentionally segfault?
    Ramsay isn't around anymore. And the 'timers' are now rendered moot by what's stated in the OP of this thread.

I'm sure Vlada will address the rest of your post far more eloquently (and informatively) than I can.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Yes, I did but it wasn't really clear to me. I've been following this project since inception (less closely in recent years) and it has historically been very hostile to both the other development efforts and its own users. I recall there was an announcement made a few years ago that everything would be open source except for some internal library or something along those lines. Is that Engine3?

Is literally everything open source now or is there still some proprietary bull**** in there? Because if it's actually open source and Ramsay doesn't still speak in a derogatory fashion about the users, I'd consider doing some development work.

Like it just seems to be a hollow offer. If you guys are serious about open source why is there no prominent link to a github repo or something? Sounds a lot like the project is still about stroking certain people's egos. Timers to make it intentionally segfault? That's shameful, man.
    We should chat. A lot of that history is just that. Its true that the engine is closed source. But it always was privately owned and copyrighted. The core is where 99 and 66/100 percent of the work is done. And yes, the link is on the swgemu home page. Drop by IRC. Join #swgemuservers. Say hi.

Those days are over mate. You want to contribute? I'll help find a way to make that possible for you. And I'll do my best to make sure you have fun at it. I use the version of the engine with the segfault. But I don't run a server that is open to the public. I have never had a reason to leave mine up long enough to reach the segfault. That's my experience anyhow...

I hear your pain. I see your join date. I do understand. I'm listening....
    Scurby
    QA Leader

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Live Support | Mantis (Bug Tracker)
    scurby@swgemu.com | Gerrit | Jenkins

Closed Thread

Thread Information