Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu AGPL Instructions and Requirements

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Aso View Post
    Thanks for the update. I thought with this thread being posted and what Vlada posted, we were just waiting for you to get back into town. Did not realize things were still not complete. Ill be awaiting the email.
    Well, considering that TA wasn't here, I could only guess what was going to happen. It appears i guessed wrong. Sorry about that. To make it up to you I am willing to send you a picture of a very cute baby animal of your choosing.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    TA, does this mean we shouldn't have submitted applications yet?
    Personal site @ WritingUnderDuress.com
    Pretend dev @ An Empire in Flames

Retired Lead Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyn View Post
    TA, does this mean we shouldn't have submitted applications yet?
    No, submitting them is fine, but thats why we havent started distributing the engine yet.

theanswer@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You should put the new No time restriction engine into unstable. It would be no difference from the 2:25 hour engine already in there that is locked. Even if you changed it to 24 hours pushed it to public so we could pull latest wouldn't the engine still be locked like the one i use from unstable at the moment.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Probably not. Only in rare instances will you see a commercial software package open up it's source (for the older versions) after it's upgraded to a newer version. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing that happen in reality...

I've seen older versions have their license restrictions removed, and basically become a free to use product, but I've never seen anyone open up their copyrighted source...

-Duff

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by duffstone View Post
    Probably not. Only in rare instances will you see a commercial software package open up it's source (for the older versions) after it's upgraded to a newer version. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing that happen in reality...

I've seen older versions have their license restrictions removed, and basically become a free to use product, but I've never seen anyone open up their copyrighted source...

-Duff
    Doom, Wolfenstein3D, Quake{1,2,3} https://github.com/id-Software
    MS-DOS v1/v2 http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm...y-source-code/
    MS Word 1.1a http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm...a-source-code/
    just to pick a few famous examples ;-)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    so yeah, in 20 years you might get engine3. :-p

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Well it really is speculation because we don't know if he is using it commercially or if he was if he still is. Or even if those companies are using it still, can you imagine getting a windows server license 15 years ago and still be using it (I don't know of many companies who still use Windows servers and if they do they have been migrating to Linux for a while). Really the only thing we know 100% is that he owns and probably sells Engine3 licenses however a quick search of engine3 online only returns unreal engine and unity 3.0 revisions.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Nice explanation Oru..

We have had Scurby drop by our server's vent we play on a few times, as he has been making the rounds.. and he is a big advocate of combining our strengths for a solid common core . etc etc... so in that spirit, if we can re-focus the thread back to it's intent, that would be very constructive....
    Thanks to the DEVs and all the contributors!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    "Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in SWGEmu. Your application has been received and is under review. Your patience and input is greatly appreciated as we walk through this process. "

Anyone received the engine yet? This the only mail I have received.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by thrax989 View Post
    "Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in SWGEmu. Your application has been received and is under review. Your patience and input is greatly appreciated as we walk through this process. "

We received the same. Give 'em some time.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by thrax989 View Post
    "Greetings,

They most likely thought that everyone would be on board with playing on a non hacked engine and would agree with the new license, since they know there is a server that has refused to and they will have to use legal action against them they might have to come up with a way to make sure only people who sign the new license gets their good engine. Or heck they maybe just taking a break after getting the new pub put.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I've always thought limiting downloads on future code to people who hold the approved license would be reasonable. Seems to be the "way of the world".

Play Stats
    Inactive
    No news for the first lifting of restriction?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You know those feels when something you are REALLY looking forward to is coming but you have to be all adult and patient and not froth at the mouth about it? That.

Closed Thread

Thread Information