Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Engine3 without time restrictions

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    I love this project but I don't think this shift is going to accomplish anything. The servers that are popular have long since reverse engineered the project to remove the restart issues. You guys will not be able to limit who uses or access your source code and you certainly aren't going to sue anyone. I don't really understand whats going to be accomplished other than an additional fracture. All that being said, I hope for the best!

Retired Lead Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I love this project but I don't think this shift is going to accomplish anything. The servers that are popular have long since reverse engineered the project to remove the restart issues. You guys will not be able to limit who uses or access your source code and you certainly aren't going to sue anyone. I don't really understand whats going to be accomplished other than an additional fracture. All that being said, I hope for the best!
    Using engine3 without our consent is grounds for litigation. There are 3rd parties involved with it, not related to swgemu, where money is not a problem.

The main intention behind this change is to allow everyone who shares their work to use it without any issues, thats the condition the emu had to deal with too.

We don't want people selling and/or using a 'hacked' version, we don't want people to profit from work on core3 of so many that worked here for almost a decade.

These servers say we are "competitors" when we never were or will be, the main focus here is to finish development, not the donations, not basilisk. Donations stop? Basilisk goes poof and we continue devolping without it. Thats where the donations go unlike on some of these other servers that have been selling credits and items for money.

And I personally can't wait to get to 1.0 and move on from this community. Once development is finished, AGPL will be lifted, engine limitations will be lifted(already are) and I will be long gone too.
    Last edited by TheAnswer; 04-22-2015 at 06:17 AM.

theanswer@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    In all honesty "TheAnswer" you are doing a great job 10/10. You put in a lot of hard work and i notice it, keep up all the great success. As for the whole SWGemu team you guys provide the the best engine on the market, what more is there to say without you guys there is no real Base. I'm all for new beginnings hope this can speed up the process to version 1.0 .

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by thrax989 View Post
    In all honesty "TheAnswer" you are doing a great job 10/10. You put in a lot of hard work and i notice it, keep up all the great success. As for the whole SWGemu team you guys provide the the best engine on the market, what more is there to say without you guys there is no real Base. I'm all for new beginnings hope this can speed up the process to version 1.0 .
    Here Here!

(I could say more.. but well said)
    Thanks to the DEVs and all the contributors!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    Using engine3 without our consent is grounds for litigation. There are 3rd parties involved with it, not related to swgemu, where money is not a problem.

The main intention behind this change is to allow everyone who shares their work to use it without any issues, thats the condition the emu had to deal with too.

We don't want people selling and/or using a 'hacked' version, we don't want people to profit from work on core3 of so many that worked here for almost a decade.

These servers say we are "competitors" when we never were or will be, the main focus here is to finish development, not the donations, not basilisk. Donations stop? Basilisk goes poof and we continue devolping without it. Thats where the donations go unlike on some of these other servers that have been selling credits and items for money.

And I personally can't wait to get to 1.0 and move on from this community. Once development is finished, AGPL will be lifted, engine limitations will be lifted(already are) and I will be long gone too.
    There are other situations in which this "industry" can police itself also. Through the license, you can assign limited rights on a case by case basis either by power of atty or some other limited instrument. Take an offending server in the US that agrees to your license and then does not abide by it's requirement (Server A). Server B, also from the US, attempts to obtain, thru the license, code from Server A and gets turned down flat. Server B can go thru you and obtain limited authority and asks the courts for regress without any burden of litigation to the original holder (you). As added incentive, if Server B can prove to the courts (51%) that there is/was malice or an attempt to defraud, then punitive damages can and will come into play also. In the state where I live, punitive damages are limited by statute to 250,000.00 per offence. In the case where someone without a legal background is not in server administration, I know of plenty of attys who would take such a case (and incentive) on a contingency basis. (no cash up front and fee payment if and when a judgment is entered)

You could also stop an offending server from usage of your license/code/product. Upon receiving notice that a server has failed to comply with the licensing requirements, you send out a "Cease and Desist" that your counsel has drawn and you can simply change the header to whomever you chose. If they do not comply with that, then your counsel could initiate proceedings upon which you would receive any and all damages, including the retail pricing of the product.

All kinds of things could be done to gain the result that you want.

I'm sure, dealing with all this mess, for 10 years +, that your probably more than a little bit tired of it all but please don't let a few "bad apples" spoil the entire bushel for you.
    Last edited by Esquire; 04-22-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The more different servers the more the remaining population of players gets diluted. Cant imagine how people play on even less populated servers, this game is barely enjoyable without lots of people playing.

Veteran
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoKuush View Post
    The more different servers the more the remaining population of players gets diluted. Cant imagine how people play on even less populated servers, this game is barely enjoyable without lots of people playing.
    You arent considering that the population is heavily segregated by playstyles no matter how many people are on basilisk.

For instance the PvP pool of ~20-30 players one can expect on basilisk doesnt require the other ~1480 for anything other than being an audience.

Communities like that can flourish and operate perfectly fine on private servers (although of all the community subsections of this game, the PvP crowd is the most likely to multi server anyway).

As far as the communication between swgemu and private servers, can we assume that it will no longer be taboo to discuss our experiences on other servers?

The mandatory forum thread locks/deletions and in some case bans for just talking about play experience on other swgemu based servers via videos or ss has been draconian to say the least.
    Last edited by Livy2K; 04-23-2015 at 09:03 PM.
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/jNsOu1T.png[/img]

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Livy2K View Post
    As far as the communication between swgemu and private servers, can we assume that it will no longer be taboo to discuss our experiences on other servers?

The mandatory forum thread locks/deletions and in some case bans for just talking about play experience on other swgemu based servers via videos or ss has been draconian to say the least.
    There will be a section designed for that very purpose. But yeah, anything outside that section will be either moved or locked. Even though that section will be dedicated to various SWGEmu based communities rest of the forums should remain focused on SWGEmu alone.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Not to be pushy, but when can we expect to see more details on this?
    Personal site @ WritingUnderDuress.com
    Pretend dev @ An Empire in Flames

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyn View Post
    Not to be pushy, but when can we expect to see more details on this?
    When we get all the kinks worked out. Please be patient a while longer, it is very important that we do this right from the get go.
    Last edited by Vlada; 04-23-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Fair enough, and thank you.
    Personal site @ WritingUnderDuress.com
    Pretend dev @ An Empire in Flames

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Livy2K View Post
    You arent considering that the population is heavily segregated by playstyles no matter how many people are on basilisk.

For instance the PvP pool of ~20-30 players one can expect on basilisk doesnt require the other ~1480 for anything other than being an audience.

Communities like that can flourish and operate perfectly fine on private servers (although of all the community subsections of this game, the PvP crowd is the most likely to multi server anyway).
    Agree, and to add to it: Server populations will never be like they were in SOE's version, even at it's lowest point. Anyone following the project, who might expect to re-live the glory days of mass PVP and huge server populations, will be disappointed. Even if you could consolidate the whole of all EMU communities into 1 play server, you'd still not equal the activity seen in SOE's version, even on the dead servers that were consolidated.

biggest reason is that we're all 10+ years older and the magic is slowly receding. Not to say that we can't have healthy, numerous communities. We can. They'll just number in the 10's, with populations in the 1000's, with maybe 100's online at any given time. Although I hope I'm wrong, i'm guessing that's a BEST case scenario.

-Duff

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by duffstone View Post
    Agree, and to add to it: Server populations will never be like they were in SOE's version, even at it's lowest point. Anyone following the project, who might expect to re-live the glory days of mass PVP and huge server populations, will be disappointed. Even if you could consolidate the whole of all EMU communities into 1 play server, you'd still not equal the activity seen in SOE's version, even on the dead servers that were consolidated.

biggest reason is that we're all 10+ years older and the magic is slowly receding. Not to say that we can't have healthy, numerous communities. We can. They'll just number in the 10's, with populations in the 1000's, with maybe 100's online at any given time. Although I hope I'm wrong, i'm guessing that's a BEST case scenario.

-Duff
    Ummm... No. We already have SOE servers beat even at their glory days. SOE had a server cap of 3k instances online and we went over that during one of Bas stress tests.

Second, that illusion that SOE servers were always capped during Pre-CU and that even after the numbers started to dwindle their numbers could be considered as decent needs to stop. Here: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/sw...rds.109251731/

here is the list of the servers, and the population of players currently logged in...

ID: 24 - Name: Europe-Infinity - IP: 195.33.138.101 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0334
    ID: 23 - Name: Europe-FarStar - IP: 195.33.138.75 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0133
    ID: 22 - Name: Europe-Chimaera - IP: 195.33.138.41 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0331
    ID: 1C - Name: Shadowfire - IP: 199.108.197.130 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0518
    ID: 1B - Name: Wanderhome - IP: 199.108.197.103 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0462
    ID: 1A - Name: Tarquinas - IP: 199.108.197.87 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0456
    ID: 19 - Name: Starsider - IP: 199.108.197.50 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0414
    ID: 13 - Name: Tempest - IP: 199.108.7.148 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0457
    ID: 12 - Name: Valcyn - IP: 199.108.7.111 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0455
    ID: 11 - Name: Sunrunner - IP: 199.108.7.73 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0493
    ID: 10 - Name: Scylla - IP: 199.108.7.50 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0457
    ID: 0F - Name: Naritus - IP: 199.108.8.137 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0496
    ID: 0E - Name: Kettemoor - IP: 199.108.8.117 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0522
    ID: 0D - Name: Intrepid - IP: 199.108.6.178 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0456
    ID: 0C - Name: Flurry - IP: 199.108.6.133 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0473
    ID: 0B - Name: Radiant - IP: 199.108.198.70 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0266
    ID: 0A - Name: Lowca - IP: 199.108.198.36 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0227
    ID: 09 - Name: Kauri - IP: 199.108.196.178 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0245
    ID: 08 - Name: Gorath - IP: 199.108.196.131 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0271
    ID: 07 - Name: Eclipse - IP: 199.108.196.101 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0397
    ID: 06 - Name: Chilastra - IP: 199.108.196.84 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0357
    ID: 05 - Name: Bloodfin - IP: 199.108.196.40 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0441
    ID: 04 - Name: Corbantis - IP: 199.108.6.105 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0460
    ID: 03 - Name: Ahazi - IP: 199.108.6.79 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0520
    ID: 02 - Name: Bria - IP: 199.108.6.53 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0722

of course i should'nt have this info but i have friends who like to hack.
    believe it or not this is the real info.â€

END QUOTE
    LINK: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/b...sage.id=433038

More info....

-These server numbers were taken sometime on Friday evening. I do not know how they were obtained other than the OP (name was: neowarderdude) saying that they were “hacked†by his friends.

-These numbers do not show how many total subs are on each server, rather, it’s a “snapshot in time†of how many people are on each server at the time the numbers were obtained (primetime Friday).

-Whether or not these numbers are legit no one can say definitively one way or the other... Apparently, if you do a Yahoo search for those IP’s, they do show up as actual SWG IP for those servers.

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?...e&uname=g33p33

-As to how SOE has the server pop's adjusted, he said:
    "neowarderdude wrote:
    Full = 3000
    Extreamly Heavy = 1500
    Very Heavy = 1200
    Heavy = 900
    Medium = 600
    Light = 300
    Very Light = 0

my friend gave me that list, and that's how it calculated before NGE (but he thinks they've changed it a bit since NGE)"

- This may be of some significance:
    "neowarderdude wrote:
    Did you substitute the word population for the actual connections to each given port and does it include all the sub for the ip's

The numbers that are given to the client when it connects to the logon server, it uses those numbers to determine how full the server is. My friend use to see numbers in the 1500-2000 range with bria hitting 3000"

-Quick Stats: 10,363 people total
    Most people on a server: Bria
    Bria’s Population: 722 (conceptually speaking approx 60 people per planet)

Least amount of people: Lowca
    Lowca’s population: 227 (conceptually speaking approx 18 people per planet)
    Note, I ignored Europe-FareStar server’s pop (of 113) b/c it’s not in its prime time there.

-Also, interestinly enough these numbers echo the Cube Stats from that much debated friday feature:
    http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony...ource=features
    Granted its 2006, so its from NGE but keep in mind that game continued to exist with numbers much lower than that for 5 more years.

Veteran
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Naritus twice as strong as lowca from that quote.

Thanks for verifying Vlada
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/jNsOu1T.png[/img]

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    When we get all the kinks worked out. Please be patient a while longer, it is very important that we do this right from the get go.
    Correct. I can understand the compromise to allow Jedi unlock code to remain secret. But I do not want to see the remainder of what is in .lua scripts and .tre file component additions and changes to end up secret because of a poorly worded attempt to exclude the Jedi unlock code.

So while I await the change I also want you to take the time to get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Jedi dont ruin SWG, people ruin SWG.
    My Blog about SWG and possible changes

Closed Thread

Thread Information