Play Stats
    Inactive

STM Server and Scrum

STM Server and Scrum

Jun, 2011
    The SWGEmu Development Division

STM Server - Jun, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Oru
    We are trying to test a new system for the engine that might be a great help in the development process. TC: Nova shouldn't be affected by this, since feature wise they are identical.

This version of the engine brought a lot of major changes in the underlying framework that Core3 is built upon. Core3 is not rewritten in any way, it mostly contains changes in Engine3 and some low level things that need to be changed in Core3. However there is no feature game logic change.

We didn't have the capacity to test every part of the code so it is still crashing a lot. That's why we need a lot of testing by you guys in order to get it stable. Everyone is welcome to help.

*Please note that you have to create new characters after every STM server crash because we don't save everything to the database yet.
    EDIT:

More info about STM Server

Quote Originally Posted by Oru View Post
    When it is stable enough and the performance is acceptable, we are going to replace Nova by this and discontinue the locking based version which was a huge burden for developers to maintain. For you this will mean no more deadlocks and eventually as we add more features, the whole system will be able to survive crashes with no loss of data.
    Please don't report bugs from it yet, it is a few weeks older Nova code so there is no point reporting things as of yet. It will be merged later and there will be one common version.
    Scrum

Quote Originally Posted by Oru
    The project management system is under revision. We don't have to remind you that this is a purely voluntary project and all work is being done in our free time. With that in mind it is clear that Scrum was overkill and not ideal for our purposes. I proposed to use something we have at work that is pretty easy and won't put any overhead on developers and might work better for us.

~ The SWGEmu Development Division
    Last edited by Vlada; 06-02-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the update.!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    So will this be for testing seperate areas of the game such as creature handler that on nova we have not really done anything with. If not its fine just nice to hear about any new info!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bmsortiz View Post
    So will this be for testing seperate areas of the game such as creature handler that on nova we have not really done anything with. If not its fine just nice to hear about any new info!
    Here more info from Oru, i hope this explains whats going to happen with STM and Nova.

When it is stable enough and the performance is acceptable, we are going to replace Nova by this and discontinue the locking based version which was a huge burden for developers to maintain. For you this will mean no more deadlocks and eventually as we add more features, the whole system will be able to survive crashes with no loss of data.

So basically what you see on Nova you will see on STM, but yes in time even those professions that were always missing from our servers, like CH, BE and DE will be added and tested there.

Oh and another important thing:

Please don't report bugs from it yet, it is a few weeks older Nova code so there is no point reporting things as of yet. It will be merged later and there will be one common version.
    P.S. Added this info to the OP.
    Last edited by Vlada; 06-02-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Very cool progress here.

I'm about to whinge, so ignore me if you don't want to read it.

Lag, rubberbanding, a significant lack of resources......... I take it this is not intended to be playable yet? I know you said not to report bugs, but I'm getting C++ errors and client crashes.

The latest changes to TC Nova have broken things that were previously working well. The new player intro is cool, but at what cost? No more player housing.

I was one of the more persistant testers for quite a while. I take a small holiday to Liberator to meet some people in this community, fully intending to come back rejuvinated. So I come back, and it's now unplayable again.......

I guess like the other 900 people, I'll be on Liberator, dieing of a broken Emu.
    Last edited by Vlada; 06-06-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Double post
    <RYYK>
    Not a Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivojedi View Post
    Considering that I wrote the code to make it that way, yes, I'm sure.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjebus View Post
    Very cool progress here.

I'm about to whinge, so ignore me if you don't want to read it.

Lag, rubberbanding, a significant lack of resources......... I take it this is not intended to be playable yet? I know you said not to report bugs, but I'm getting C++ errors and client crashes.

The latest changes to TC Nova have broken things that were previously working well. The new player intro is cool, but at what cost? No more player housing.

I was one of the more persistant testers for quite a while. I take a small holiday to Liberator to meet some people in this community, fully intending to come back rejuvinated. So I come back, and it's now unplayable again.......

I guess like the other 900 people, I'll be on Liberator, dieing of a broken Emu.
    STM will eventually replace Nova, like Oru said, it is currently unstable abnd that is to be exacted, but it still needs a lot of stress testing.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Sorry for the rant. I do appreciate the work you all do for the project.

I should have gone to sleep instead of making that second post. I will try to log in regularly, but at the moment, I'm getting C++ errors from a landspeeder I made.

Appologies to the team, it's been a long night for me (4:50am local time).
    <RYYK>
    Not a Commando

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjebus View Post
    Sorry for the rant. I do appreciate the work you all do for the project.

I should have gone to sleep instead of making that second post. I will try to log in regularly, but at the moment, I'm getting C++ errors from a landspeeder I made.

Appologies to the team, it's been a long night for me (4:50am local time).
    No need to apologize, it can be a bit frustrating when you just want to help but for some reason (those C++ errors for example) you cant. Thank you for trying to hep us test.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Vlada someone needs to come up with a way to register our names permanently. I'm tired of new players showing up and stealing freakin toon names.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dngrzne91 View Post
    Vlada someone needs to come up with a way to register our names permanently. I'm tired of new players showing up and stealing freakin toon names.
    Is there a way you can register toon names to the login so it is reserved for all servers?
    <RYYK>
    Not a Commando

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Why are you getting so attached to a name on a test server? It should be a non issue, click generate random name.
    HI MY NAME IS LOBREEZE

Play Stats
    Inactive
    It's a bit like how mobs and thir loot do not belong to anyone: The quicker bird catches the fish.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I agree with the name stealing. Someone ninja'd my handle between wipes. I've friended them but have yet to see them log. A solution would be cool, but not entirely simple to implement. On one extreme we could import forum usernames to the reserved names list: luke, han, lando... etc. And on the other, just roll it into csr duties. Name enforcement. A middle ground would be nice with a list of forum names auto importing and syncing with your login, allowing the use of that character name and no-one else. But that would be the absolute most coding hastle. ;/

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    On one extreme we could import forum usernames to the reserved names list: luke, han, lando... etc.
    My biggest issue with that, is the initial construction of said list. Who would decide who gets what, and what would happen in a disagreement over any names, and which servers to lock them on to? (Note: biggest issue)

And on the other, just roll it into csr duties. Name enforcement.
    Can you say, hassle?

A middle ground would be nice with a list of forum names auto importing and syncing with your login, allowing the use of that character name and no-one else. But that would be the absolute most coding hastle. ;/
    Same issues as the first.
    Kezzar
    Retired SWGEmu Staff

kezzar@swgemu.com | SWGEmu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Thread Information