Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Death and Taxes...

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    While we are grateful for the sudden influx of donations, I feel like i need say that this thread wasn't posted with that intent at all. Oru and the rest of the staff just wanted to keep the community in the loop. Yes we had some trouble with Hungarian tax authorities, yes we did have some unexpected expenses, but it was all covered and we're moving forward. I think LK said it best:

On a more personal note, your concern, your dedication as well as your donations are humbling and deeply appreciated.

Thank you for being awesome.
    Even though you like to Troll us on the forums most of the time Vlada, I think the donations are coming in because everyone would miss it haha.

To Oru.......**** happens man, I don't think anyone who has ever invested their time either helping or playing or even doing both on this project would be upset at you not being a master at Hungarian/US/EU taxation. While the staff is not asking for players to donate more I believe most will when they have the money. If you are still here either staff side or player side this game is probably one of the biggest passions you've had in your life time. While I was just a teenager when this game was live, I am now in my 30's being able to play it all again. No game has ever come close to this date at being as diverse in things you can do as SWG was.

If there is any future cost related issues with this project my personal opinion is bring them out to the community right away. I believe most of us that are still around now will do what ever we can to help keep this up and running.

Thank You to the founders, the current and retired staff for allowing us all to continue playing such an amazing game!
    Last edited by Asifab19; 01-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.

TRADE Mall Tat /way 2194 -4573 [B]
    Vendor FiveOfFirst - Mini Suits

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I'd like to throw one more thing into this post......Is it possible for you to keep us updated on how the project budget is currently doing now? I believe others like myself would like to know if we are still close to the red or if we are in the green now. I know some might not be able to contribute much at all. However if the project is still in trouble I'm sure the community would like to know so that we can hopefully help it out of trouble.

Thanks again for the years and countless hours of time spent in this project by the staff

TRADE Mall Tat /way 2194 -4573 [B]
    Vendor FiveOfFirst - Mini Suits

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Asifab19 View Post
    I'd like to throw one more thing into this post......Is it possible for you to keep us updated on how the project budget is currently doing now? I believe others like myself would like to know if we are still close to the red or if we are in the green now. I know some might not be able to contribute much at all. However if the project is still in trouble I'm sure the community would like to know so that we can hopefully help it out of trouble.

Thanks again for the years and countless hours of time spent in this project by the staff
    According to the OP, it sounds like they saved enough to afford 1 month of expenditures after the tax issue was sorted. Since then, we’ve exceeded the monthly donation goal by about $800 (I believe). So by my math, we should still have 1 month and about $800/$2500 towards another. I think if we continue to exceed the monthly goal by a few hundred each month, we should be able to build a month or two buffer pretty easily.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Asifab19 View Post

We currently have 3,722.76 USD on our account

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I guess no one knew of the tiny little state of Oregon, which for all my understanding (as limited as it is), does not tax any of these kinds of assets.

Indeed, I worked for the SoS's office as a developer and no taxation of the kind exits. We have no sales tax, VAT or other taxation for services rendered of this kind.

Maybe why Amazon puts a data-center here in Tillamook.

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Oru View Post
    Maybe i'm just a stupid coder but i would expect to pay taxes at the point of sale, not leaving the responsibility on me to report and pay the taxes directly to the tax office.

I can hardly argue your point on accountants though.
    Most accountant firms are just number punching people that put your bills into government system, most of them don't properly understand their own countries taxation, let alone the international taxes. Good accountant that knows international tax laws would probably cost a fortune, which is probably a no go for limited budget no profit swgemu.

Also are you personally liable for swgemu organization?
    Last edited by Surrena; 01-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnu View Post
    I guess no one knew of the tiny little state of Oregon, which for all my understanding (as limited as it is), does not tax any of these kinds of assets.

Indeed, I worked for the SoS's office as a developer and no taxation of the kind exits. We have no sales tax, VAT or other taxation for services rendered of this kind.

Maybe why Amazon puts a data-center here in Tillamook.
    I know of that tiny little state. First 18.5 years of my life spent there. Met Harry Truman just before the mountain erupted.

The cheese has always been good. We can get it in Rhode Island now.
    Farelli
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to Report Bugs | How to Search Bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Veteran
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Scurby is a saint. I will be donating 100% of my wages this month
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/jNsOu1T.png[/img]

Founder
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Here is the last bit of information, the bank statement:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sh...WaltCybTC3CqHh

Quote Originally Posted by Surrena View Post
    Most accountant firms are just number punching people that put your bills into government system, most of them don't properly understand their own countries taxation, let alone the international taxes. Good accountant that knows international tax laws would probably cost a fortune, which is probably a no go for limited budget no profit swgemu.

Also are you personally liable for swgemu organization?
    Yeah costs can easily skyrocket and even then you might run into problems like this.

This is a limited liability company, however if you are being found guilty in wrongdoing, you gonna be fully responsible in all aspects.
    Oru
    Founder

oru@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quite frankly, of all the things that could have gone wrong in the last few years (****** and whatnot), this is pretty minor. Still sucks though. Was actually thinking of re-installing now that I've got a gaff again and internet is a feasible prospect. No promises, I'm fixing tech for cash in hand right now and its pretty unreliable as income, but I'll try to kick the project my old subscription fee when I can.

Play Stats
    38h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    I want to be clear, I know it's hard to understand the tax situation but its as real as death
    This is the convincing part.

Play Stats
    Inactive

Death and Taxes...and SWGEMU

some legal representation would go a long way in this type of situation. perhaps there is a member of the community that can assist?

Play Stats
    1h last 30d
    How much money are we still lacking to cover the taxes?

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by dashbarron View Post
    How much money are we still lacking to cover the taxes?
    It's been taken care of, this post is about transparency for the community.

If you're able to help a simple monthly subscription helps a lot, the more stable the donations the easier it is for us to plan.
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't believe we've missed our monthly goal since this post. However, I don't think we've been exceeding it by very much either. Hopefully we continue to slowly build up a buffer to protect against any more unforeseen expenditures.

Closed Thread

Thread Information