Closed Thread
Page 18 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Lead Core Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    About the loading status: We are attempting to load a test db instance to check for data integrity. This should give us an indication of whether we'll need to wipe or not. It's loading on the HDDs so it's slow and will take time. Thanks for the continued patience.
    Ivojedi
    Lead Core Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    ivojedi@swgemu.com | How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Retired SWGEmu Staff Mistress Aerea's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive

Thanks for the updates Miztah and Ivo!
    Guild Matriarch
    Flourish <FLO>

Soon™

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you for the updates, keep up the great work!
    In-game name: Michaela <FLO> Coleader

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive

vassis

its ok for most of you to say "yeah, wipe it" but for some of us we can't play that often or as
    often as we would like.
    I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts. Mainly because so many people are just AFK and you can't get what you need. (easier to do it yourself)
    Not sure I could do it all again, Architect, tailor, armorsmith, droidsmith, doctor and weaponsmith in particular.
    really hope it doesn't come to that but I do understand if it does.
    Maybe I could even get to have a city on tattooine instead of Lok then!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel76 View Post
    I have an enormous soap box hear me preach at you like I know everything. I was also never hugged as a child

Your salt is astounding. Youre probably one of those people who demands a refund for free services then spends the entire time whining about how their competitors do it SOOOOOOO much better

This community doesn't need that attitude

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by sduk72 View Post
    its ok for most of you to say "yeah, wipe it" but for some of us we can't play that often or as
    often as we would like.
    I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts. Mainly because so many people are just AFK and you can't get what you need. (easier to do it yourself)
    Not sure I could do it all again, Architect, tailor, armorsmith, droidsmith, doctor and weaponsmith in particular.
    Yep, me too. Master Artisan (x2), Master Architect, Master Tailor, Master Merchant, Master Doctor (x2), (almost) Master Ranger, Master Pistoleer, Master TKA, Master Fencer
    Master Image Designer (x3), Master Musician, Master Dancer (x3), Master Chef, Master Scout (x2), Master Medic (x3 I think), (almost) Master Politician. I will lose a lot of
    work on building up all those characters, plus all the crafted stuff I have created (enough to build a spare city or two on my architect for instance), and the progress I had
    on a few other professions. So I will be disappointed if they can't restore everything for sure, but on the other hand its a test server in the end, even if it feels like a regular
    server, so I will adapt and overcome if I have to start all over again :P
    Vikko, Jhonto, Tsotsi, Shango, Janya, Gurdun, Rafe, Sa'ahanaia, Chaallo & Dawkk

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Come what may, with sincerest gratitude I thank you - SWGEmu team - for everything you do, and for the continued updates.

CSR
    Play Stats
    614h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivojedi View Post
    About the loading status: We are attempting to load a test db instance to check for data integrity. This should give us an indication of whether we'll need to wipe or not. It's loading on the HDDs so it's slow and will take time. Thanks for the continued patience.
    Thanks Ivo. Love the updates. As much as I wouldn't like a wipe - if it looks like it will be too much of a pita to recover the data move on as with the vendor explosion so you guys can continue the development rather than waste time on recovery.
    Jaws
    CSR

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    on 3 accounts.
    lol at banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Thanks Ivo. Love the updates. As much as I wouldn't like a wipe - if it looks like it will be too much of a pita to recover the data move on as with the vendor explosion so you guys can continue the development rather than waste time on recovery.
    They will do all they can to keep basilisk alive.

I for one don't mind if we get a wipe or not, but I highly respect TA for his continued effort to give us a good game to play. He could be like "Stuff this it's too much effort" and just start fresh, but he is taking time out of his life to fix it for us, the players. I intend to thank you, as well as the rest of the team, personally on IRC once this is all over but honestly keep up the great work TA, same to the whole team.
    Last edited by algebuckina; 08-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    algebuckina
    Event Coordinator Intern

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by flugel76 View Post
    I just took to time to read every post in this thread, and no one is giving them a "bad time". You are projecting a false narrative. A small number of players have simply voiced their frustration, and then said "oh well, let's get back up and do it again".

The issue isn't a wipe. The vast majority of Basilisk's at the keyboard population have wanted a wipe for at least 3 years. Personally, a wipe is the only thing that would entice me back to Basilisk. As best as I can tell, the only members of this community who are currently outraged are the afk farmers and the pvpers who troll each other on Reddit all the time. No one cares about them, anyway.

You're trying to lump in the members of this community asking valid questions about why Publish 9 was pushed on the very heels a KNOWN hardware failure, followed by a catastrophic 2nd failure, into an imaginary group of players who are nerdraging about a wipe. That's not what's happening here. People are concerned (and justly so) not about the prospect of a wipe, but rather about how a server with a failsafe in place could have possibly failed in this regard, and the answering we're getting right now from devs and staff is "meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.

Personally, it all feels a little hinkey to me. The odds of TWO hard drives failing at the same time of a major publish....a publish poised to bring hundreds, if not thousands of players back to the server....are astronomical. To me, it feels more like they're wiping on purpose, but they just don't want to admit it. If that's the case, then I feel like they've really underestimated the resolve of this community (unless they care more about the reddit pvpers and afk farmers who will probably ragequit). Everyone I know who plays or who once played on Basilisk WANTS a wipe. So why the deception?

Now I could be wrong about this....I've surely been wrong before about a great many things in life.......but, I don't know man.....this just feels too much like the exact same crap Stella Bellum's devs pulled when they "launched". It's just really hard for me to believe that this team of devs and staff could be THAT careless, and then be so apathetic about it. I mean, these are pretty tech savvy guys. True, you can't anticipate a hard drive failure, but you CAN make sure that both are functioning before you roll out the publish that everyone has been waiting for. It just doesn't add up. This project gets donations, and I don't really see any sense in the world why some of those donations couldn't have been used to ensure that the hard drives were both in working order before rolling out jedi. A planned wipe smokescreened by one heck of a coincidental double hard drive failure simply makes more logical sense.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here; I don't care about a wipe, and I in fact welcome one. But what I do care about is what feels like a total lack of transparency, if not downright dishonesty. Moving forward, that's going to make a lot of members of this community give pause before donating.
    A few things...

First they initially said the first hard drive that was failed was NOT KNOWN before the process was started or they would have replaced it before hand...

Second, I am a server/switch guy and having two hard drives fail about the same time on new servers and especially older servers is a lot more common place than you realize. Hence the reason so many class 100 clean room data recovery centers make money.

Third, if its a hosted server and they are not local to it but rather working remotely without an email notification or a check prior to starting the process they would not know.

Fourth, if you aren't even playing since you stated a wipe is the only thing that would bring you back why even troll the forums

Finally, be happy you even have the game to play again and stop feeling so entitled
    Last edited by FurytheOriginal; 08-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    You're able to play 3 accounts? Sounds like you're able to play pretty often.

often as we would like.
    Item drop-off: Corellia -4493 -2412 (near Tyrena)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    ***edit*** oh wow he was banned. good, I love swift justice.

Also, I would like to give my thanks and gratitude towards everyone who has put in work on this project.
    Last edited by veaseomat; 08-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    often as we would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by algebuckina View Post

lol at banned
    LOL. Ya, that was a great first post.
    Retired Community Relations

Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Developer
    Play Stats
    4h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Miztah View Post
    Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivojedi View Post
    The continued hard work from all the developers, especially during this time, is very much appreciated.
    Hakry
    Developer

Hakry@SWGEmu.com | Code Commits
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    A server wiipe would probably bring back a lot of old players

Closed Thread

Thread Information