Closed Thread

Thread: Clone Wars, The Exploit... Item cleanup.

Hybrid View

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Permetheus View Post
    The point being that 14.1 code base is the target.
    Iterative sprints with a devops model is the fastest way.
    Keeping a test server around for 8 years for the purpose of testing code without a reset is unheard of and very archaic.
    We're getting enormously valuable data on the Basilisk economy in its current state that we can use to correct errors and close gaps, so we don't develop the same errors and gaps in 1.0.

There is still very much benefit to running Basilisk.
    Farelli
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to Report Bugs | How to Search Bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker)

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Farelli View Post
    We're getting enormously valuable data on the Basilisk economy in its current state that we can use to correct errors and close gaps, so we don't develop the same errors and gaps in 1.0.

There is still very much benefit to running Basilisk.
    How does the current economy provide real value due to the millions of credits that have been tainted due to the duping exploit? Items have been removed, accounts have been banned. But the underlying currency has been poisoned and spread throughout the server. You will be closing gaps and making adjustments based on skewed data.

But, if you feel there is still value, carry on. You are the ones doing the work, not me.

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Permetheus View Post
    How does the current economy provide real value due to the millions of credits that have been tainted due to the duping exploit? Items have been removed, accounts have been banned. But the underlying currency has been poisoned and spread throughout the server. You will be closing gaps and making adjustments based on skewed data.

But, if you feel there is still value, carry on. You are the ones doing the work, not me.
    Million plus transactions a day, that's a big value, seeing how people interact, ways we can measure behaviors, develop tools to handle cheating, but also provide input to product decisions we have to make.

That said the places its most valuable at are scale, things like 200k objects in the auction system and people killing NPC's and running missions, leveling, etc.

At some point, these become less useful and a wipe makes sense.

That said "approaching with a DevOps point of view" is literally the entire way our systems are set up, happy to walk people through it at some point.

However nobody would play if we wiped every couple of days, there has to be a balance in there somewhere...
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    Million plus transactions a day, that's a big value, seeing how people interact, ways we can measure behaviors, develop tools to handle cheating, but also provide input to product decisions we have to make.

That said the places its most valuable at are scale, things like 200k objects in the auction system and people killing NPC's and running missions, leveling, etc.

At some point, these become less useful and a wipe makes sense.

That said "approaching with a DevOps point of view" is literally the entire way our systems are set up, happy to walk people through it at some point.

However nobody would play if we wiped every couple of days, there has to be a balance in there somewhere...
    Totally makes sense. I understand nobody would play with servers being wiped frequently. I don't mean to criticize at all. I was just looking for the value of keeping the current setup, and you have explained that. You are in the trenches so to speak, and know what
    does and doesn't provide value. It's easy for us on the outside to poke holes in things we know nothing about. Based on the data I see (limited), I still contend:

- 8 Years is enough time for an initial run. Before launching 1.0 it would be nice to see what a brand new server release would look like. How fast does the economy grow? How fast do people grind up professions? How do resource spawns progress?
    How does the new anti-cheat code work? (I contend that you unban cheaters. Use them as an unofficial Red Team. Current law enforcement bureau's are filled with previous Black Hats turned good). At this point it may be a bit late to have them try to hack / dupe
    /cheat, but to truly test anti-cheat code, you need a really good Red Team / audit process. (I'm not by any means suggesting they be given a clean slate. Simply use them. Keep IP's geo marked as bad actors. Perhaps prevent them from future production 1.0 as punishment? up to you)
    - Release of fresh test server should take place a few months before 1.0 is released to truly test the progression of game.

Again. Kator. I can't praise you enough. You are doing an outstanding job.

Permetheus

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkator View Post
    ways we can measure behaviors

uh I can totally explain unless you saw nothing and then I have no idea what you're talking about

Join us at TheZoo! https://discord.gg/mbBHQKvNx8

Closed Thread

Thread Information