Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparations for Publish 3

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thankyou for your hard work, Devs ....

I am very pleased that this issue is nearing its end, and that all of the POIs and other wonderful sites can again be enjoyed by everyone

Play Stats
    Inactive

O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    City halls that are on the border of no build zones will probably remain where they are because i dont think there is a way to move them without disbanding a city. Of course any buildings around it that are in the NB will be removed.

Well this is good news but I would appreciate further clarification because it scares me so much. At Naboo: -1339, 6531, the Gungan Shield Generator is directly on our city hall steps. We have a metropolis. So, the city hall will stay? Its not exactly 'on the border'. Its more like.. underneath it. I checked the radius of 30m and depending on the measuring point of the shield generator, we might have only 1 building in danger (a bank, easily moved, just to the west of it). So... perhaps my heart can come up from the pit of my stomach now.

But I just want to be sure!

Bijou

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I apologize if this was hashed out in the development discussion or any other forum area, but wouldn't it be appropriate to at least have put in an email notification of buildings through the building maintenance function of buildings that were in no build areas. Copies could have been sent to members of staff assigned to clean up buildings as well. Although it would be better to have it set up a nice database that could simply be used to programmatically use the destroy structure functionality. This method allows an owner to know whether their structure is actually in the nobuild area. It allows staff to ensure that the nobuild code actually will catch all the buildings they want it to catch as well.

Granted that the testing on nova would catch a large amount of possible errors, this would set up a link in the development process that would give a couple of nice features:

1) It gives a player concrete knowledge of whether a building is going to go up in smoke. This also means that the player has no ability to complain after the fact because he thought he was just outside the zone. (also known as less grief for the CSR staff)

2) It allows for a prelist of structures should anyone on development want to test out exactly what the code is doing. It would then be output of the nobuild code using the entire database of homes currently on basilisk. Ideally, this code would have been tested using Nova's database of homes as well before all the structures were removed there. This leads to finding flaws where a building outside a nobuild zone is actually listed as inside. This leads to less unintentional destruction if the process is done programmatically. (also known as less grief for the CSR staff and more guarantee of correctness in the program)

3) It allows for this to be done programmatically. There seemed to be some implications that the staff will be cleaning it up. It would allow for staff members to be doing something else while the system is being cleaned up.

I know this is coming in very late into the development cycle, but even if it were not considered here, it could possibly be considered in another project of this nature should there be one. I hope that you are not offended by the suggestion, and for those who do not like my writing style, I hope it was not quite the wall of text I normally write. Thank you for the updates. The buildings in the temple on Naboo are pretty disgusting looking and there are a large number of other poi's that got polluted by player homes.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by kazryna09 View Post
    I apologize if this was hashed out in the development discussion or any other forum area, but wouldn't it be appropriate to at least have put in an email notification of buildings through the building maintenance function of buildings that were in no build areas. Copies could have been sent to members of staff assigned to clean up buildings as well. Although it would be better to have it set up a nice database that could simply be used to programmatically use the destroy structure functionality. This method allows an owner to know whether their structure is actually in the nobuild area. It allows staff to ensure that the nobuild code actually will catch all the buildings they want it to catch as well.

Granted that the testing on nova would catch a large amount of possible errors, this would set up a link in the development process that would give a couple of nice features:

1) It gives a player concrete knowledge of whether a building is going to go up in smoke. This also means that the player has no ability to complain after the fact because he thought he was just outside the zone. (also known as less grief for the CSR staff)

2) It allows for a prelist of structures should anyone on development want to test out exactly what the code is doing. It would then be output of the nobuild code using the entire database of homes currently on basilisk. Ideally, this code would have been tested using Nova's database of homes as well before all the structures were removed there. This leads to finding flaws where a building outside a nobuild zone is actually listed as inside. This leads to less unintentional destruction if the process is done programmatically. (also known as less grief for the CSR staff and more guarantee of correctness in the program)

3) It allows for this to be done programmatically. There seemed to be some implications that the staff will be cleaning it up. It would allow for staff members to be doing something else while the system is being cleaned up.

I know this is coming in very late into the development cycle, but even if it were not considered here, it could possibly be considered in another project of this nature should there be one. I hope that you are not offended by the suggestion, and for those who do not like my writing style, I hope it was not quite the wall of text I normally write. Thank you for the updates. The buildings in the temple on Naboo are pretty disgusting looking and there are a large number of other poi's that got polluted by player homes.
    No build zones were part of SWG, the fact that they were missing is the only reason why players were able to drop structures in those areas. Since we are trying to replicate 14.1 we of course had to add missing no build zones that will prevent dropping of any player structures and removing existing ones that are in those zones.

You have to understand that what you describe means going outside of 14.1 and additional work for Dev and QA team. There is no need to waste time on things that are outside out project goals. We understand that introduction of NBZ and structures removal may be an inconvenience, but those buildings shouldnt have been placed there in the firt place (anyone that played SWG knows that) and that progress will be always more important than gameplay no matter how much inconvenience it causes.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I think you misunderstand. I'm asking for a phase to be placed into the development cycle of moving towards 14.1. I am suggesting that when implementing major development changes in the future that thought be put into guaranteeing that code. This time could be spent as well towards checking the code that has been written to implement the specification of 14.1 beyond that time spent checking on Nova. The mail code could easily be removed once the server is doing the checks correctly. This is similar to an anti-virus program. If the program misses the virus (the player's home in a nobuild zone), then the virus has a potential to do damage to the system. Most anti-virus programs inform the user what it is doing and warns them of potential danger of removing the virus (infection means that their building is in a nobuild zone to begin with and the email is the warning that you are about to destroy the infection). Now, once the code is in place and relatively guaranteed correct, the server does not need this code at all because it will be like the anti-virus scanner and avoiding the infection in the first place.
    Last edited by kazryna09; 06-13-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar correction...oops

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Yeah i still don't think that is necessary. But I'm not a dev so...

Quote Originally Posted by Seriella View Post
    Well this is good news but I would appreciate further clarification because it scares me so much. At Naboo: -1339, 6531, the Gungan Shield Generator is directly on our city hall steps. We have a metropolis. So, the city hall will stay? Its not exactly 'on the border'. Its more like.. underneath it. I checked the radius of 30m and depending on the measuring point of the shield generator, we might have only 1 building in danger (a bank, easily moved, just to the west of it). So... perhaps my heart can come up from the pit of my stomach now.

But I just want to be sure!

Bijou
    If its blocking access to that POI or if its giving your guild unfair advantage over others it will have to be removed, if not (and please note than im not a CSR, the decision will be theirs) it might not be necessary to remove it, though all other objects will be removed.
    Last edited by Vlada; 06-14-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: double post

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    If its blocking access to that POI or if its giving your guild unfair advantage over others it will have to be removed, if not (and please note than im not a CSR, the decision will be theirs) it might not be necessary to remove it, though all other objects will be removed.
    So the removal is a manual process? It wont automatically disappear during the merge, someone has to eyeball it and make a yes/no decision?
    Quiana Quiggleton, 12pt Weaponsmith (Retired)
    Spirit Bay Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    yes .
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    As Vlada stated, it was part of SWG, thus it shall be a part of Bas...

I would suggest, if you think you are in breech of a NBZ border....either voice your concern here, (like a previous poster did about their city hall) so a member of the Team can clarify whether you are or not...OR move your house.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The link to the NBZ spreadsheet on Google Drive does not work. Could someone please repost it?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron75 View Post
    The link to the NBZ spreadsheet on Google Drive does not work. Could someone please repost it?
    it works just fine for me. What browser do you use? I normally use Opera, but that open can't open the spreadsheet.
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Yup, works fine.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherish View Post
    The Poi's have a radius zone listed, but the small NBZ checklist does not. I'm checking all my guilds RP houses and one is next to a fountain on the list.....
    So I checked the house out, it isnt blocking the entance to the walled fountain garden, just on the side of it. Unfortuantly using the poi's waypoint (which isn't centered btw on the actual poi) the front steps are 11ms away, the houses teminal is 31ms. Looks like it will have to be moved a bit. I'd test on Nova but, my toon is bugged.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Come on everyone...Really!!!! how hard is this if you played swg and knew all these poi's to find these places you knew from the beginning that there was never structures at these spots and poi's so how hard is it to move your stuff.....i would say you are lucky they are giving you notice to allow you to move your stuff...thank you dev's and staff for all your hard work on this project

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrie View Post
    Come on everyone...Really!!!! how hard is this if you played swg and knew all these poi's to find these places you knew from the beginning that there was never structures at these spots and poi's so how hard is it to move your stuff.....i would say you are lucky they are giving you notice to allow you to move your stuff...thank you dev's and staff for all your hard work on this project
    Pretty much this!
    Why build there when ya knew it was wrong to do so in the first place?

Closed Thread

Thread Information