Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu - 1.0 and the future of JTL

Hybrid View

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsplice View Post
    Advertising.
    LOL, you might want to check out my professional background....

Nobody is interested in the small volume of advertising we could generate.

I wish they were because it would solve so many problems!
    LordKator
    Developer

lordkator@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Its all about rights and he don't hold them
    Lolindir
    SWGEmu Admin

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good now we can focus more on balancing post 1.0 cause Precu swg's balance is a **** show and a half.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    In all honesty, I believe a server wipe will help this project more than the implimentation of JTL.
    Loots -n- Components Mos Eisley (/way 3378, -5629)

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wraken View Post
    In all honesty, I believe a server wipe will help this project more than the implimentation of JTL.
    From your fingers to the emperor's eyes.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    11h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by wraken View Post
    i agree all starting again like a brand new game.. bring it on! good work up to this point all devs well done and thanks for bringing this old classic back to life. even without JTL.
    Vendor..Market Tat 5060,0,-5364 2K Outside Mos Eisley

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Can SWGEMU community pay for such coder? How much would that be?

Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by makednoce View Post
    Can SWGEMU community pay for such coder? How much would that be?
    Again, as soon as we turn "pro" we will be shutdown instantly. You can see this in other mods that have tried to do re-born versions of SW related games.
    LordKator
    Developer

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Honestly, I probably am in the whatever percentage of folks who didn't really get into space at all during the my entire 8 year play time. The ground game just had so much more for me to get into. While I understand that folks may feel burned by the idea of JTL being behind 1.0 (or with it if we're lucky enough to find someone willing to put in the time), I completely understand yalls reasoning for narrowing your focus toward 1.0 and beyond. I think mostly people are burned by not knowing a bit earlier but how would we know if it was possible if you guys never gave it an attempt? Sounds like thats exactly what happened, gave a shot and realized the work load would further put us away from 1.0. And if thats case, yall do yall. We'll be here when 1.0 is ready and I'm sure even more will be here if JTL becomes a reality. Keep up to hard work. And also thank you for not putting the entire project at risk by folding and using leaked code instead of your own like you have been.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Lets recap, and I can't believe i have to type this...
    1. Former SOE, now Daybreak Game Company aren't going to give us anything. ****** and LA though, if we push hard enough might send us a cease and desist, if we're lucky. If not, a lawsuit that keep us in court for the rest of our natural lives, maybe longer.
    2. We are not going to use illegally obtained source code, not now, not ever. We're not even going to discuss it here again. (Don't do it, infractions and bans will follow)
    3. We're not giving up on anything, we're just trying to tell you what the situation is atm. If things miraculously change, we will of course let you know.
    4. Devs are not the bad guys, stop viewing them as such.
    5. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's just something that happened beyond our control, what we as a community do with it, is entirely on us.
    6. And maybe instead of pining over what might have been, get excited about what is about to be.
    Hugs and Kisses

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Have always thought leaving JTL till last was a sensible course of action, since the ground game has more than enough foibles to keep a team occupied for the next decade. It's a little disappointing to hear it's impractical to implement with the current engine, but also not really a surprise. That there's been as much progress on the ground game is miraculous enough.

Have also always thought it's a missed opportunity for the emulator not to correct some of the obvious flaws in the game as development proceeds, rather than recreating it bugs and all. Getting to Suncrusher/1.0 sooner is a good thing, as we'll finally be able to fix things like the broken skill mods, as well as pull in obvious, fairly non-controversial things like the Mustafarian Bunker. I know all that is still likely a year or more away, but without JTL it should be closer than ever.

As a ground game fan first and foremost it's easier for me to brush this off, of course, but I hope JTL fans can understand that this approach makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Mythor; 09-02-2019 at 04:29 AM.

Play Stats
    44h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Lets recap, and I can't believe i have to type this...
    1. Former SOE, now Daybreak Game Company aren't going to give us anything. ****** and LA though, if we push hard enough might send us a cease and desist, if we're lucky. If not, a lawsuit that keep us in court for the rest of our natural lives, maybe longer.
    2. We are not going to use illegally obtained source code, not now, not ever. We're not even going to discuss it here again. (Don't do it, infractions and bans will follow)
    3. We're not giving up on anything, we're just trying to tell you what the situation is atm. If things miraculously change, we will of course let you know.
    4. Devs are not the bad guys, stop viewing them as such.
    5. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, it's just something that happened beyond our control, what we as a community do with it, is entirely on us.
    6. And maybe instead of pining over what might have been, get excited about what is about to be.
    Hugs and Kisses
    I very much appreciate all the efforts the dev team and everyone involved in the project has put in, I would like to thank you all very much, i feel lucky to be able to play this great game once again all these years later.

much love and hugs and kisses right back at you

Dedicated
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I for once have to say I like Vlada's post. The one right above my current post here. The guys who have dedicated so much of their free time to this project are never going to do something that they think will put what they've spent nearly a decade working on in jeopardy.

Now to the rest of the community, JTL was an entirely 2nd game when you look at it from a coding stand point. If you do not posses the skills to be able to help them create it then please just stop complaining that we will not have it any time soon. You are getting to enjoy the game at about 85% completion. I will say JTL was tops 15% of the actual game we all enjoyed so long ago.

I myself am only just getting into coding for the most part and to hear that this game is over 500,000 lines of code is daunting to say the least, not to mention that c++ is a pain in the *** to learn.

Everyone should be happy that once we land at 1.0 we can all start fresh on a new server, hopefully with character limits and other new rules implemented to help get rid of some of the bad things we experience on basilisk.

My true personal feeling is that if you have done nothing to contribute to this project other then play on basilisk then, really you don't have any right to ask or even demand that certain aspects be brought to light prior to 1.0 release. The countless 1,000's of hours that have gone into getting the project this far is amazing. Many of the players on his project won't even volunteer time to test fixes on nova, yet are basically demanding that the devs volunteer even more of their time to get JTL here.

Be happy with what we have and what we are going to have in the future. There is an endless amount of new content the current and future dev team can give us on this project that doesn't involve space and makes the game even better for the community.

Enjoy the current and future game, or donate your time to helping them complete the project.

Thanks

TRADE Mall Tat /way 2194 -4573 [B]
    Vendor FiveOfFirst - Mini Suits

Play Stats
    Inactive
    As soon as I thought it over, JTL not being in the game doesn't break the experience for me. And being closer to 1.0 is a more logical goal in the end.

Keep up the great work guys and gals!

- Sergion

Closed Thread

Thread Information